I like a bit of colour in my watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

I like a bit of colour in my watches

Post by gaf1958 »

Ok, I sometimes like a lot of colour. I have green, blue, red, orange, yellow, black, white, grey, even brown. Sunburst, fumé, bright, dark, all sorts.

Oooh, what’s missing there? Purple? I’ve owned a couple of those, precious few though, as, even more than green used to be, purple is still a rare colour in a watch. Oh yes, there’s grape as in Rolex’s concept of what purple should be. Grape as in the Wimbledon CWs that were release a few years back; more purple than Rolex, but still heavily tinged with red. In the seventies, there were a few purple dials, but the ones I’ve seen were in pretty uninteresting watches, often downright ugly. As was often the case with green dials in the seventies, purple dials seemed to have gilt hands, markers and other trim; I can’t say I’ve seen them all, but I’ve seen enough to almost despair of ever finding an interesting, truly purple watch.

Kickstarter. It’s spawned a few interesting watch brands amongst the overwhelming dross. Two that stand out for me personally are Visitor and DiRenzo; both brands that use colour, but often in different ways. Visitor usually uses unusual, softer or subtle colours to make a statement; DiRenzo leans more into the brighter end of the colour palette.

I own several DiRenzos. I once stated that the DRZ 02 was the best made Kickstarter watch I’d ever seen. Swiss made too, if that counts. A totally original case design too, featuring beautifully finished concave case sides. The subsequent models did not disappoint, but the white dialled DRZ 04 Mondial that I later bought was very much at the subtle end of DiRenzo’s range. I like it, I still own it and it was superb value for money. They announced a V2 Mondial for preorder sometime back, with a very different range of dial colours; except for white, which they kept in the V2 range. Changes? Minimal. Colours? The ones of interest to me where the red and the purple. The red was very tempting; looks lovely. But the the purple was a real purple in a watch that I like a lot. It was simply too tempting to pass up, regardless of how nice the red was.

Now that it’s arrived, I can say that there are no regrets, it is stunning - at least in my eyes. Many will disagree, as purple dials are undoubtedly rare for a reason; a classic marmite situation. Here are some photos to help each to make up their own minds.

These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post (total 3):
welshladJAFOasqwerth
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Noush
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: I like a bit of colour in my watches

Post by Noush »

It looks awesome, Gary. But of course it does, it's a Direnzo. Sergio has style that stands up. Still very much enjoy my Eclipse and whilst this is quite different it's very much a Direnzo. Not sure I would pull the trigger on purple but there'll be times it's just the thing.

Nice pick-up!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
gannet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Loving that :thumbup:
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

That's a lovely colour. It's no different in principle to the bright colours released by Rolex, Omega, CW and others. I like a degrade/fume colour gradient, and that one is very good. :D

I just had a look at the web site, and I can see why you also liked the red. I'm surprised the blue didn't get the same degrade treatment as the rest of the range. All sold out now though.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Bold but nice
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Bretling Aerospace Evo, Vinatge Azur, Vintage dressy Seiko & SBGX059
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

For comparison , here’s the white… One thing I’ve noticed with the V2 purple is that the AR is excellent, very much like the original museum grade crystal used on the C11. I’d never noticed it much on the white; I don’t know if it’s a V2 improvement or just the colour that makes it noticeable.

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

It's very you Gary.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

scooter wrote:It's very you Gary.

scooter
Understated as usual scooter.

Now, was I talking about the watch, or your statement?
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Nice one, Gary. Not my thing, these bright colours, but it looks right with you.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

Your brighter colours (I love this one) always give me a wee twinge of regret that I don’t live in a hotter country to be able to show them off to their best! :lol:
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I'm with you, Gary. I think that's lovely. It probably wouldn't lend itself to every situation, but then not every watch does. Would look great dressed down with jeans and a t-shirt, but equally good whilst sporting a DJ at a black tie event (not that I ever find myself at one of those).

Des
Tested in five positions with no back play whatsoever.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I really like how the outer track of dial markings curve up the rehaut. The purple shade is nice - reminds me of a vintage 70s watch.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15-SC
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Not heard of this brand before very much like a Czapek. I do like a bit of colour in dials myself had a look on their website I do like the red dial.