Omega Seamaster “Baby Flightmaster”

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Omega Seamaster “Baby Flightmaster”

Post by gaf1958 »

This is something of an impetuous purchase; not spur of the moment I guess as it took me the best part of a week to decide that I was going to actually buy it. Usually, my watches tend toward the well kept end of the spectrum, but this is certainly fairly well worn, with the case showing many marks, fortunately none of them terribly deep. Not that that can’t be overcome by an Omega trained watchmaker, but there’s a monetary cost to that. This has only just been serviced prior to the sale, so I’m hoping it will be unlikely that I’ll need to send it in to him anytime soon. I will say that the cost of purchase was little more than the cost of (admittedly Omega) servicing alone. So it was quite well priced, as sometimes happens with eBay auctions. Mind you, it was from a company I’d dealt with, directly, before.

The case is quite similar to the pilot line Memomatic I already own, but that’s presently with the watchmaker being serviced so I’m unable to do any side by side shots to highlight any differences, in particular, those other than the quality of the case finish… The most obvious difference is that the Memomatic case has dual crowns at 2 and 4; this has a, mostly, concealed crown at three. Obviously the dial and movement are quite different. The Memomatic has the 980, sourced from within their own ranks, from Lemania. The baby Flightmaster used another in house movement, the 1002, this time one shared with sister company Tissot.

The crystal is another difference; this one is either mineral or sapphire, the Memomatic has a hesalite one. That’s acrylic to anyone not versed in Omega-speak. In some ways this watch epitomises one of my pet hates, silver hands on a silver dial. Not ideal perhaps, but it’s not as bad as I had feared. The second hand is not the easiest, but the other two are reasonably good. That doesn’t mean I’m without a plan for this, two actually, which may or may not overlap. It will undoubtedly take some time and a good deal of patience for them to come to fruition.

So, Baby Flightmaster? It’s a commonly used name for this model, clearly as the Flightmaster uses a distinctive case of the same general style and shape, albeit about 5mm thicker and quite a bit wider and longer. I’m not enamoured of the “baby” moniker for things, whether it be Mario, Luigi or an Omega Ploprof, but it seems to be ubiquitous, so maybe I’ll grow to tolerate it.

It came on a black leather strap which quickly got the flick. I like a nice leather strap, but somehow black never makes it to my shortlist for any strap purchase, so it had to go. I considered a strap, but I have a few olde-worlde Omega and similar bracelets in the parts cabinet, so I had a look at what I had. I really liked the 1171 from my Memomatic on this, but that’s not a viable option as it’s staying with the Memomatic. I had a few others that looked good, but the one that appealed most was a Baume et Mercier bar bracelet from the 80s or 90s. I’m fine with that, unless I turn up another 1171 with straight end pieces (that’s affordable!).

So here are some admittedly quite ordinary photos of the watch on my wrist.

These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post (total 2):
watchaholicnbg
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+C15+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+13xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille+Geneve
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+2xMagrette+Sinn+11xSeiko+Vtg
B&R+2xHalios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+4xZelos+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Omega Seamaster “Baby Flightmaster”

Post by watchaholic »

Very nice. Much better than the larger model you referred to, which always seemed like, well just not my cup of tea. :thumbup: Hidden lugs with out strapping a helmet to your arm.
Time is fleeting....happy hour, doubly so.
Dwight
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Omega Seamaster “Baby Flightmaster”

Post by albionphoto »

That's a stunner. Well done on the find.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, and Oris