The Dynamics you have, when you don’t have a Dynamic.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

In the seventies, there were all sort of knock-offs (homages, if you like) to Omega’s elliptical and frequently colourful Dynamic. Even Omega themselves updated the case shape subtly half way through the model run. Some of the homages were poorly done with design elements that simply didn’t work; others were more successful, without straying into the territory of being outright copies. IMO one came from Omega’s stablemate of the time, Tissot. Another came from a competitor, Certina. Interestingly, all three brands are now nestled under the swatch umbrella.

So… I’ve owned my fair share of Dynamics in the past with their trademark variety of dials (some examples at end of post). Bullseyes, both blue and grey and even once, gold; racing dials in black and blue; odd jobs with slate blue and granite grey dials; even a DeVille variant in metallic olive green. They are all long gone, as the rising value of Dynamics outweighed my love of them; they are after all, no Speedmaster. Still, I liked them, yet that rising value became the thing that prevented me from entering the fray again with more of them; the enjoyment to cost ratio came down firmly on the side of cost. Any that were cheaper we’re not IMO worth buying at virtually any price; the downside of the front loading case design was that over the years dials seemed to be damaged at a higher rate than conventional rear loading designs, so finding one with a good, original dial (i.e. not repainted) is becoming increasingly difficult.

Homages… why? For me it’s that cost vs enjoyment ratio. These homages were significantly less expensive than equivalent condition Dynamics. I’m talking $300-$400 here and that’s AU$, not US ones, so £150-£200. Here’s a quick look at each.

Firstly, the stablemate. Tissot and Omega shared much of their parts in the sixties and seventies, in many instances movements, in some instances cases. This Dynamic like Tissot shared a common movement, the 2481 (in Omega speak, the 1481), but the case was unique to Tissot. Elliptical, yes, but this one had a conventional rear opening case and a permanently mounted and rather elegant mesh bracelet. The two tone dial was reminiscent of some of Omega’s dial without being the same. 95% of a Dynamic at about 30% of the price. This is one of a small handful of these watches that I’ve ever seen, so possibly not a big seller, which is a shame as it’s a lovely watch.

The competitor. Certina released the Revelation as a result of the Dynamic’s success, but I believe that by the time it hit the market, Dynamic sales were starting to tail off. The Dynamic was a runaway success for a few years, but the impetus didn’t last and in the early seventies, the Dynamic was already on the endangered list. Revelation sales never made it anywhere near the volume of its more popular stablemates, particularly the DS2 range. Like the Dynamic, the Revelation used a monobloc front loading case, with a compound curved shape, rather than a purely elliptical one. It also used conventional lugs in place of the retaining ring used on the Dynamic. Good idea, but the curved inner shape meant that curve ended straps and bracelets were needed as straight ended ones simply wouldn’t fit. 24mm lugs didn’t help either, but the bracelets tapered to 16mm at the clasp, so were not bulky.

Many sellers associate the Revelation’s status as a Dynamic competitor with Dynamic pricing, but the market generally doesn’t support that, with overpriced nice ones remaining unsold. The one I have here was a veritable bargain, being the cheaper of the two at around a quarter of the price of typical Dynamics.

The Dynamic name plate is one of the least cohesive ones that Omega ever produced. The original late sixties design was the most successful, but it was retired after little more than a handful of years. They resurrected the name for a range of forgettable watches in the eighties and again for the third and final time for a range of pilot/field watches a decade or so later. I have one of the third generation, a bicompax chronograph with lovely tritium lume but a modest 38mm size.

Gen I type a (was mine, flatter, first model)

Gen I type b (was mine, more curved, series I update)

Gen II Dynamic (random internet photo).

Gen III Dynamic (mine).

These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post (total 4):
kiter65KipAmor Vincit Omnianbg
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: The Dynamics you have, when you don’t have a Dynamic.

Post by ajax87 »

Your knowledge of the history of these things amazes me! The dynamics aren’t my cup of tea for wearing, but I do appreciate their uniqueness.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Excellent post.

I went through a period of my collecting years where thought I really wanted a Dynamic. Despite owning a few funky watches and having several opportunities to get one I just never did. Can't even remember why.

Might have to reconsider after reading this.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

You really are creating some superb posts at the moment, Gary. I had a Dynamic for a few years, and I think it is the only watch I have ever sold for more than I gave for it!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

A brilliant write-up taking in homages for a kind of Dynamic grand tour. Yay!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

My vintage grail about a decade ago was an Omega dynamic handwind, got a mint one and loved it. Still have it but don't really wear it anymore, just sits in the box like a teddy bear who's kid got too old for it but remembers it fondly.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I enjoy the early ergonomically cased Dynamics and the way they sit in that pocket on the wrist truly is a thing to behold and experience.

I never could see the design link though to the Gen III Dynamic Automatic Bicompax: not that it isn't a nice watch in its own right, just so far detached from what I see when someone says Omega Dynamic.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

tikkathree wrote:I never could see the design link though to the Gen III Dynamic Automatic Bicompax: not that it isn't a nice watch in its own right, just so far detached from what I see when someone says Omega Dynamic.
I agree Pete, I have no idea why the gen III was marketed as a dynamic; there’s no link that I can see. It probably has more in common with the Seamaster range than anything else. I think this statement from my op sums up my view on it…
gaf1958 wrote:The Dynamic name plate is one of the least cohesive ones that Omega ever produced.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier