Post by blowfish89 »

I like the Mark XVII of all IWC pilots.
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The

Post by 7ee »

blowfish89 wrote:I like the Mark XVII of all IWC pilots.
I like this too, with a couple of reservations. The 12 o'clock triangle looks too weedy for the rest of the markers, why didn't they use the same one from the other two watches beside it(or at least something inbetween) :? and I never can get to like date windows that show three numbers from the wheel.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Tetlee wrote:
I like this too, with a couple of reservations. The 12 o'clock triangle looks too weedy for the rest of the markers, why didn't they use the same one from the other two watches beside it(or at least something inbetween) :? and I never can get to like date windows that show three numbers from the wheel.
I prefer both of these details on the newer Mark XVII version so would disagree with you. The newer version has a little more jazz/quirky nature with the red highlight and three date window.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Tetlee wrote: I never can get to like date windows that show three numbers from the wheel.
I agree. I'd never, ever buy a watch that shows 3 days.
It doesn't make any sense to me. Surely it's obvious what the previous and following numbers would be? What possible advantage could there be in making the window too big?
Ridiculous.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by Tooks »

I know I'm going through a bit of a Tudor love fest at the moment, but they really have impressed me, and I can't stop looking at this one.

Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

hughesyn wrote:
Tetlee wrote: I never can get to like date windows that show three numbers from the wheel.
It doesn't make any sense to me. Surely it's obvious what the previous and following numbers would be? What possible advantage could there be in making the window too big?
Ridiculous.
1. When the actual date is covered by the minute hand, it is still possible to discern the date..

2. I have read something about the eye/brain being able to quickly see the pattern in a series of shapes (in this case, the sequence of 3 numbers), and therefore, read the actual date more quickly, and without ambiguity.

In the past, I would have also not purchased a watch with the extended window, but I think I would make an exception for one of the IWC pilot models.
Richard
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gbbird »

Tooks wrote:I know I'm going through a bit of a Tudor love fest at the moment, but they really have impressed me, and I can't stop looking at this one.

I like those too. I don't get the love for the BBs, but the Black Shields are something to behold
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

Most impressive bracelet I have ever tried. If I was to get a mark series pilot it would be this one as the bracelet is better than the date is bad. Ultimately I wish I had the wrist size and means to own a big pilot, that is an impressive watch.
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 5

Post by missF »

downer wrote:
hughesyn wrote:
Ridiculous.
1. When the actual date is covered by the minute hand, it is still possible to discern the date..

2. I have read something about the eye/brain being able to quickly see the pattern in a series of shapes (in this case, the sequence of 3 numbers), and therefore, read the actual date more quickly, and without ambiguity.

In the past, I would have also not purchased a watch with the extended window, but I think I would make an exception for one of the IWC pilot models.
that's really interesting! learn something new here every day. thanks!
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment

Watchaholic
downer

Post by downer »

I would happily swap my IWC VC Ingenieur Laureus for the new Laureus edition:

Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

downer wrote:I would happily swap my IWC VC Ingenieur Laureus for the new Laureus edition:
Absolute beauty isn't it?! In spite of the wildly priced sellita movement ticking inside I would sooner have this over the (in my mind) competing Aqua terra or datejust.
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

I have added another watch to my wanted list, which now consists of two watches.

A Nomos Orion and a Grand Seiko Quartz

This one is quartz and could go 50 years without service. This would/could be my everyday watch for work?

I maybe in a position to buy either of my wanted watches soon 8) and the Grand Seiko makes a lot of sense to me and would get a lot of wrist time. Accurate to 10 seconds a year. Not cheap though at £2500 for a quartz.

Mark
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Great to know that you guys found the IWC bracelet top-notch. How does it compare to a modern Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Zenith bracelet or the like?
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

blowfish89 wrote:Great to know that you guys found the IWC bracelet top-notch. How does it compare to a modern Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Zenith bracelet or the like?
Like I say I have only tried that braclet but it topped omega, tudor and rolex for me. The speedy bracelet that I own is lovely and fluid but the clasp should be better for the price, doesn't have the reassuring thud of a rolex or IWC, or even tudor. New rolex bracelets are lovely but just something about that pilots bracelet that was special, need to try it I think.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I was dreaming about this last week. I don't like modern Rolex but vintage or pre 2005ish I could work with (basically any drilled lug version or slightly newer). Haven't got many boxes left to tick as a wis but thought this was tick a couple and not clash with my lovely GS in my collection unlike say a steel date just.

Was going to bid the maximum £1800 , 1979 no date (better without it)14k gold, original Rolex strap and buckle. Tarnish indicates probably hasn't been worn for 20 years or so, engraving on back from one of those companies that you don't mind seeing on a Rolex. It sold today at the auction house for £1700. Even with a Rolex service that's quids in. I think I'll sell a couple and start a vintage Rolex auction hunt.
I miss all the great things that may never be.