A place to discuss other watch-brands
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by smegwina »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
smegwina wrote:Bravo. You absolutely have to do a SOTC, as your collection over the last couple off weeks has been turned up to 11!!!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Guess I ought to do an SOTC now; for no other reason than I now have more watches than I am able to list in my signature. :problem:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Yes you must. It has been far too long since you did one.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The

Post by Richard D »

nbg wrote:
Richard D wrote:If I survive the next 5 years this will be my retirement treat.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^^^^^Richard save your money. I have tried on a few basic PPs and have found them to be underwhelming.

Neil
IMHO a collection is not complete without at least a Calatrava, it’s the pedigree.
Richard

The whole is other than the sum of the parts.
Kurt Koffka
treyford
Guru
Guru

Post by treyford »

Richard D
If I survive the next 5 years this will be my retirement treat.........

I agree PP's are beautiful and desirable watches but a word of caution, I have 2 friends who have owned or still own PP watches, one sold his PP after 5 years because of the cost and the time PP took to service his watch. The cost of the service was four figures and took in excess of 3 months to be completed, he got fed-up, in the end, with how often the watch had to be serviced and he worked out that his watch had been with PP for over an elapsed year during his ownership. My other friend still owns his but he was so shocked by the quote he got for a service, he decided not send to PP and it is now securely stored at home, he doesn't wear it in case he has an issue with it.

They are high precision pieces of horology and like exotic hi-performance cars they need expensive and regular maintenance.
Treyford
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

treyford wrote:Richard D
If I survive the next 5 years this will be my retirement treat.........

I agree PP's are beautiful and desirable watches but a word of caution, I have 2 friends who have owned or still own PP watches, one sold his PP after 5 years because of the cost and the time PP took to service his watch. The cost of the service was four figures and took in excess of 3 months to be completed, he got fed-up, in the end, with how often the watch had to be serviced and he worked out that his watch had been with PP for over an elapsed year during his ownership. My other friend still owns his but he was so shocked by the quote he got for a service, he decided not send to PP and it is now securely stored at home, he doesn't wear it in case he has an issue with it.

They are high precision pieces of horology and like exotic hi-performance cars they need expensive and regular maintenance.
Their advert is absolutely correct ... you never actually own a Patek Phillipe.
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Neil
Superalfa

Post by Superalfa »

I'm personally loving the Sky-Dweller. I tried one yesterday at a retailer in Paris and looks just stunning. The only thing I don't like about Rolex is that they're playing too much with price list and availability (currently unavailable, the one I tried was sold already)

https://www.horbiter.com/en/rolex-sky-d ... and-price/

I didn't know how to operate the calendar unless I discovered this tutorial. In a nutshell the bezel works like a crown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH5WDys15pY&t=53s
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Starting to think Rolex might be the way to go for a big purchase in the future but I'll need to do a lot of research.

Very tempted by this but the older 40mm model but still think there a few different versions of this I need to look at. Any good suggestions where to read, what to look for and any tips?

This might be a short term option and a lot more affordable

Neil
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:Starting to think Rolex might be the way to go for a big purchase in the future but I'll need to do a lot of research.

Very tempted by this but the older 40mm model but still think there a few different versions of this I need to look at. Any good suggestions where to read, what to look for and any tips?

Neil

Here is a reasonable article about the 16570. Whilst its basically the same as the 16710 GMT Master II, except fixed steel bezel, rather than movable aluminium insert bezel, the price of a 16570, for watches of equivalent age and condition would generally be about 2/3rds the price of a 16710.
https://timeandtidewatches.com/depth-fu ... ref-16570/

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Have been contemplating these for a while now, to scratch that vintage diver itch but was waiting to see the CW 65. Nearly pulled the trigger on the CW yesterday but my wife said “don’t do it if you prefer the Oris offerings”. “You’ll only regret it”. She normally doesn’t engage in any sort of conversation about watches, for fear of me misconstruing it as approval. Oops, she slipped up! :D

Edit: scratch the green. The Mrs doesn’t like it! :ka:

Steve.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

As I have the PAM512 incoming my dream is about to come true.

Borrowed pic.
Bjørn
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Thermexman wrote:Have been contemplating these for a while now, to scratch that vintage diver itch but was waiting to see the CW 65. Nearly pulled the trigger on the CW yesterday but my wife said “don’t do it if you prefer the Oris offerings”. “You’ll only regret it”. She normally doesn’t engage in any sort of conversation about watches, for fear of me misconstruing it as approval. Oops, she slipped up! :D

Edit: scratch the green. The Mrs doesn’t like it! :ka:

You can copy a link to Google images rather than having to screenshot, upload and link your own...

It's a long press and copy link on android, assume Apple is similar?
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Halios | Oris
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Thanks. I’ll try that next time.
Steve.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Just testing the technique. :thumbup:

Might be either of these. Not sure yet. I’m thinking black but wife likes the blue?

Steve.
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

nbg wrote:
neil8fletcher3 wrote:Starting to think Rolex might be the way to go for a big purchase in the future but I'll need to do a lot of research.

Neil

Here is a reasonable article about the 16570. Whilst its basically the same as the 16710 GMT Master II, except fixed steel bezel, rather than movable aluminium insert bezel, the price of a 16570, for watches of equivalent age and condition would generally be about 2/3rds the price of a 16710.
https://timeandtidewatches.com/depth-fu ... ref-16570/

Neil
Thanks Neil
Neil
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Dreaming of, or at least seriously thinking of, a light colour dial steel swimming watch, with a red second hand and a bit of red dial text. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK