blowfish89 wrote:Image
You and me both, that's an absolute beauty
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by gwells »

i must be odd, i've never found the royal oak attractive. not the case shape, the bracelet, the bezel screws. it's never done it for me at all. too angular and a little blocky.

but that's just me.
the "g" is for Greg...
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

gwells wrote:i must be odd, i've never found the royal oak attractive. not the case shape, the bracelet, the bezel screws. it's never done it for me at all. too angular and a little blocky.

but that's just me.
There is a series of Youtube videos (like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0uW37FnCLM) which show the creation of an AP case, dial and bracelet closely.

Personally, I have never tried one on, but I've seen some people wearing one, and the watch looks to fit remarkably well and the case is quite on the thinner side for a sports watch. AP's do have complex finishing and polishing, not simple that any local guy can polish it like a Rolex - lots of angles, facets, bevels and so on. I guess the IWC Ingeniuer is very similar in all those aspects. Also, why can't anyone else get the screws on the bezel aligned (if they have them) ? I cannot think of a better bracelet-only watch if you like the looks.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

gwells wrote:i must be odd, i've never found the royal oak attractive. not the case shape, the bracelet, the bezel screws. it's never done it for me at all. too angular and a little blocky.

but that's just me.
I'm fairly neutral on it, but I'm tending to agree with you...
blowfish89 wrote:Also, why can't anyone else get the screws on the bezel aligned (if they have them)
That's the thing... I don't think they're actually screws. They're hex headed "somethings" in hexagonal shaped holes. Yes, they could fit them the wrong way, but the design makes it easy to align them I think... :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Re: The

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gaf1958 wrote:
blowfish89 wrote:Also, why can't anyone else get the screws on the bezel aligned (if they have them)
That's the thing... I don't think they're actually screws. They're hex headed "somethings" in hexagonal shaped holes. Yes, they could fit them the wrong way, but the design makes it easy to align them I think... :)
Do you know, I had never noticed that before. They are not made for screwing, if you will pardon the expression. Are they therefore purely decorative?

OK, found a video...they appear to be the receptor/female bolt and the screws go into them from the case back. Makes sense now!

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^^ I think the APRO is very much a marmite watch. I have tried one on a couple of times and found the 41mm way too big - the 39mm though was fine. A former work colleague has a 5402 as his birth year watch - I got the impression his parents bought it for him when he was born and gave it to him when he was 21. Service costs are eye watering!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

nbg wrote:^^^^^^ I think the APRO is very much a marmite watch. I have tried one on a couple of times and found the 41mm way too big - the 39mm though was fine. A former work colleague has a 5402 as his birth year watch - I got the impression his parents bought it for him when he was born and gave it to him when he was 21. Service costs are eye watering!

Neil
Hateful things, straight out of the Hublot school of fugly! Not my cup of tea at all, but there are plenty out there that like them so I am clearly in the minority.

No denying the quality though.

Have looked at a few in the past, but just couldn't get over the case/dial ratio.

Give me a Jumbo Ingenieur any day of the week.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thegreyman »

blowfish89 wrote:Image
You have to respect the workmanship and quality but looks wise it's not for me.

I honestly much prefer the look of say my C65 Trident LE, even of the exclusivity front, the LE must have the AP licked being a 175 run limited edition?!
Patrick

C1 Morgan Aero 8, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife)

Some others + a few on the way
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

gaf1958 wrote: That's the thing... I don't think they're actually screws. They're hex headed "somethings" in hexagonal shaped holes. Yes, they could fit them the wrong way, but the design makes it easy to align them I think... :)
Here's one getting a service :D
http://watchguy.co.uk/service-audemars- ... more-11741
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

blowfish89 wrote:

but that's just me.
There is a series of Youtube videos (like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0uW37FnCLM) which show the creation of an AP case, dial and bracelet closely.

Personally, I have never tried one on, but I've seen some people wearing one, and the watch looks to fit remarkably well and the case is quite on the thinner side for a sports watch. AP's do have complex finishing and polishing, not simple that any local guy can polish it like a Rolex - lots of angles, facets, bevels and so on. I guess the IWC Ingeniuer is very similar in all those aspects. Also, why can't anyone else get the screws on the bezel aligned (if they have them) ? I cannot think of a better bracelet-only watch if you like the looks.
Its quite a beautiful looking watch but my impression of it is quite flimsy. Having said that I tried on a Patek a while back and for a 26k watch it was the most underwhelming thing I have seen. The dial (I tried on the white dial version) Was quite plain and uninspiring it simply had nothing to impress. Ironically compared to the Rolex date just which just oozed class the Patek screamed "I must convince myself this is 1. a nice watch and 2. worth what I have just paid for it.

The AP certainly had a look of class about it, it just didn't do anything for me. Funny you should also mention IWC, the Portuguese is another watch that no matter what anyone says about the movement and how overpriced it is I cant help but love. Their pilots watches on the other hand, I would rather have a £750 Stowa thanks.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

ddav wrote:
gaf1958 wrote: That's the thing... I don't think they're actually screws. They're hex headed "somethings" in hexagonal shaped holes. Yes, they could fit them the wrong way, but the design makes it easy to align them I think... :)
Here's one getting a service :D
http://watchguy.co.uk/service-audemars- ... more-11741
When I read this I was pretty shocked. The way the case is put together like this seems pretty stupid considering the price, very off-putting.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

I much prefer the Genta penned PP Nautilus over the APRO.

Especially in Travel Time guise:

C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

^^ Me too - although I'd be happy with the 3-hander.
Richard
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

One just posted for sale on WUS
:-k