The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

A place to discuss other watch-brands
SIB
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by SIB »

dopefish wrote:Here's to watches I will never own...

Absolutely stunning, if I won the lottery this is the watch I would buy hands down! For the now I'll have to make do with my poor mans version of it!! :D

Alall
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Alall »

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

36mm Perpetuals. Prefer the gold dial the most. Pity the green dial (not pictured) isn't in 36mm.

CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

sproughton wrote:Image
:thumbup: I really like this, cant find this paticular model though on their website?
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

dopefish
Senior
Senior

Post by dopefish »

SIB wrote:
dopefish wrote:Here's to watches I will never own...

Absolutely stunning, if I won the lottery this is the watch I would buy hands down! For the now I'll have to make do with my poor mans version of it!! :D

If you keep exposing me to this I might have to get one myself! Those service costs are definitely not for the poor man though ;p

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Christian
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

CHZacc wrote:
sproughton wrote:Image
:thumbup: I really like this, cant find this paticular model though on their website?
Here you go

http://baselworld.zenith-watches.com/in ... er-spirit/
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

Thanks
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

SIB
Expert
Expert

Re: The

Post by SIB »

dopefish wrote: If you keep exposing me to this I might have to get one myself! Those service costs are definitely not for the poor man though ;p
No that's very true! My Zenith Rainbow which doesn't have the day / month or moonphase complications was a shade under £500 to service but it required a new main spring and some other small parts replaced too. I'm hoping my independant watchmaker will be able to service this when the time comes but if not I'll just have to bite the bullet
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

After gazing longingly at the window display for months, finally made it into my local Authorised Dealer to try on a Rolex Submariner (No Date) & red Tudor Black Bay on bracelet, both for the first time.

Black Bay - even nicer 'in the flesh' than anticipated (and I already thought it was a thing of beauty prior to then), excellent finishing & superb bezel action. AD would only offer a 5% discount though, even in the knowledge the new versions are being stocked later this year. I prefer it to the new incoming version, but at that price, with the modified ETA movement, it's not for me. Would investigate grey market or second hand options I think.

Submariner - high quality (as expected), surprisingly thinner in height than anticipated, lovely smooth ceramic bezel, flawless dial. Although I know full well the details re 904L steel, in-house movement, 18ct gold dial elements, parachrom hairspring etc. it didn't immediately grab me as being twice the watch that the Black Bay is. However, it is most definitely the Grail Watch - as I read on a watch website recently (Hodinkee?), when I close my eyes and my mind thinks of a watch, the Submariner is the generic one pictured, and it offers unbeatable versatility, durability & longevity.

Most surprisingly of all, my long-suffering wife preferred the Rolex, when I thought she would have locked my wallet away immediately upon hearing the price. The 5-year warranty & 10-year servicing interval are also very favourable. I know there are vastly more expensive watches, but spending that sort of money on a watch doesn't sit overly comfortably with me. I figure you only get one go at living your life though. Might convince myself of the Submariner after saving some funds (hard with France Euro 2016 on the horizon!). I'm attempting to justify it to myself that with the way popular Rolex models hold their value, and Rolex keep increasing prices, that I could conceivably wear this watch for the rest of my life, or sell it for minimal (if any) loss in 10 years after an 'as new' service. As a savings vehicle, it offers much more daily pleasure than money sitting in a bank gathering poor interest rates.
ateague
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by ateague »

^^^^^^^

This is an excellent post on convincing yourself (as we all do) to purchase an expensive watch. I say go for it...
downer

Post by downer »

^^^ It's fundamentally true. The cost of long-term ownership of a Rolex Submariner is relatively low.
Richard
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Ha, thanks Gents - this is exactly the sort of moral support required in my Submariner quest, definitely convincing myself more (although I'm 'preaching to the converted' perhaps!). Cheers.
MattC
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by MattC »

downer wrote:^^^ It's fundamentally true. The cost of long-term ownership of a Rolex Submariner is relatively low.
Exactly my thought process when buying my GMT master BLNR. Yes it's a huge amount of money, but if you can justify/afford the purchase price, then keep the watch long enough you'll get your money back and probably a bit more. Plus you'll have the pleasure of owning something amazing in the meantime
MkI C60 Chronometer
MkII C60
Orient Mako Diver
GMT Master II 116710BLNR
Submariner 116610LV
Samsung fit smartwatch thingy
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Off course you won't really get your money back - cause all being well you will never sell it :) .

Although it's good to know if you did decide to sell it further down the line you could.

The real cost is more likely to be that having got one steel sports Rolex, you will probably want to add another. Plenty of examples of that type of activity on this forum...... :) :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MattC
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by MattC »

^^^^^^^^^^exactly my situation. Never a truer word said!
MkI C60 Chronometer
MkII C60
Orient Mako Diver
GMT Master II 116710BLNR
Submariner 116610LV
Samsung fit smartwatch thingy