The Search For Rolex Discounts

A place to discuss other watch-brands
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

The Search For Rolex Discounts

Post by what-time-is-it »

As mentioned on some other threads I currently have my name down for a Rolex Deepsea D-Blue from a UK local Rolex AD. It was a brief visit and no prices were discussed and delivery is probably Spring 2018. No deposit was necessary in order to go on the waiting list so I can easily walk away if necessary.

Anyway with more research I may back out of the Deepsea D-Blue and go for a Sea-Dweller instead due to the colour and more modern movement and very likely change my mind several times over in the coming weeks or months.
I appreciate Submariners, Sea-Dwellers & Deepsea models are popular and often come with a waiting list, but out of curiosity I started checking out whether I can obtain a reasonable discount here in the UK, or in Europe.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before for luxury brands, but any views on Rolex discounts, deals (or not) would be useful.

So far I've found recommendations on other forums for:
Iconic Watches
Gassan at Schipol Airport who appear to in the past have offered 15%-20% off UK prices and no issues with customs as it's in the eu. I don't know whether this is still accurate, or if Rolex have stopped them from discounting.
Some recommend visiting Guernsey, buy and wear the watch on the return flight and then post the watch boxes and paperwork in the post, however if a discount can be obtained I would prefer to do this legally.

I have no problem jumping on a plane if it saves me a decent amount, plus I don't mind taking a day or two off work for a bit of travel, providing it's worth it.

As stated I've not discussed prices with the dealer whom I have placed the order with, however I suspect any discount on the D-Blue is unlikely. I'm in no rush to buy and it would be a cash and not finance purchase. I would prefer to buy from a Rolex UK AD, but if discounts are scarce and I can achieve 15% off going elsewhere then that's the route I'll probably take.

Comments, experiences and recommendations please!
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: The Search For Rolex Discounts

Post by smegwina »

The d-blue is rather difficult to get a discount on. If you don't take it, there are a hundred people behind! Similar issue with the new Daytona.

I have used Iconic before - no issues at all, and good prices. They are a grey dealer though so make sure you are happy with that. - they also provide an insurance valuation which is nice.

Discounts are difficult to obtain from an AD, but possible, and you can sometimes get a service thrown in instead, etc etc.

"Duty free" is also an option, but best if you can combine it with an existing trip!

The big problem with steel, sports Rolex models and the airport shops is being there when they are in stock. These models tend to fly out the door. (Pun intended) I tried to order a watch from one once and they were having none of it.

Whatever you do, make sure you decide what model you want before the chase starts as you may need to move fast and commit there and then. That is the best way to get a decent price.

The new SeaDweller is a stunner! (I would certainly add one to the watchbox alongside the DssD, but I wouldn't replace it with one!)

Good luck.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Agree with the above. Getting discount on the popular steel sports models is next to impossible. You may get lucky at an airport - although I frequent a lot of airport stores (in Europe) and I rarely see the popular steel sports watches - and even then, due to the state of GBP, it would need a decent discount just to bring the price down to UK levels.

Even the savings at Iconic are not what they used to be - again due to the exchange rate.

Overall, if you are dead set on a specific watch, be prepared to pony up the full asking - or spend your life chasing the discount. If you build a relationship (that means buying several watches from them :) ), you may be able to get something thrown in, but Rolex are very good at controlling the transaction prices, so often the 'discount' is servicing / other products.
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Buy a few watches from an AD over a period of time and get access to in demand watches before other customers - even if they asked before you. Similar with discounts, subject to the point that on the hot steel watches, your "discount" is that you have one at RRP and others are often paying a premium from a grey dealer.

Also even good customers of an AD will be bumped down the list if someone walked in and asked to buy a couple of expensive PM models, providing the AD could also manage to find them the hot steel sports watch they wanted. That's just business.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Thanks for your comments on this, I always knew this was a big ask as they obviously control supply and the exchange rate since last summer hasn't helped UK buyers.

I'm intrigued by the Gassan option at Schipol airport, so if anyone is passing through, then please post some comments on pricing etc. I suspect stock changes so quickly that it's a lucky dip regarding availability, but I may contact them anyway.

I don't mind buying a grey market watch, but I have a feeling that the chances of visiting Gassan and finding that they have the correct watch in stock is unlikely on a one off visit, but I'm sure it does happen from time to time. Also I don't know what their pricing is now, so may be a non starter anyway.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The Gassan pricing is at Rolex RRP for the Netherlands (which is itself more than UK RRP), less a discount equivalent to the amount of VAT. Technically you are buying at a VAT inclusive price on a flight within the EU, it's just that the AD is giving up part of its margin.

Because of the higher starting RRP compared with the UK, combined with the current sterling/euro exchange rate means any saving compared with UK RRP is now minimal.

If you search on the Rolex forum, I think I remember that someone has posted the current Rolex RRPs in all major countries.

Happy hunting.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK