The A. Lange and Söhne experience - Watch Time NYC 2019

A place to discuss other watch-brands
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

The A. Lange and Söhne experience - Watch Time NYC 2019

Post by albionphoto »

You may have read my reports from WindUP Watchfair NYC 2019.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53012
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53023
This was one of two watch shows happening over the weekend of October 25th – 27th. The second one was Watch Time NYC 2019. Watch Time is a US watch magazine. They claim to be the US’ largest selling watch magazine. It’s probably true but feels like BBC History magazine claiming it is the UK’s largest selling history magazine. It might be a valid claim but how big is the market really?
There are some differences between WindUp and Watch Time. WindUP is hosted in a large room in Chelsea market. It’s free to enter and has a cramped, crowded and friendly atmosphere where anyone is welcome. Watch Time is an entirely different affair. It charged a $40 entrance fee and had a “suggested” business casual dress code. WatchTime was held in Gotham Hall on Broadway (W36th and Broadway). This building is an imposing, colonnaded pile also known as the Haier Building.

ImageWT NYC 1 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

ImageWT NYC 3 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

ImageWT NYC 2 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The list of brands attending WatchTime is quite different to that attending WindUp

ImageWT NYC 14 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

The only brand in common is Oris. At WindUp Oris had local staff from an NYC Oris dealer and a couple of Oris’ salespeople. At Watch Time the CEO of Oris was there (and a very nice man to chat to, as well). This was the place where brands sent their CEOs and Master Watchmakers. It also had a champagne bar and so was an entirely different proposition to WindUp. I’ve never been to a show where someone takes of a Patek Phillipe Nautilus to look at an A. Lange and Sohne. Clearly this is not my normal world.

Given the range of brands here I decided to be a bit selective. I’m not looking to buy most, if any, of the watches I saw but looking is fun. Selling the house to buy an Armin Strom and explaining why I did this to SWMBO would not be fun.

Bremont – I was interested in their new Hercules watch. This contains pieces of birch from the “Spruce Goose”. It’s a surprisingly nice watch and the back with the rotor is really cool. (CEO check: Nick and Giles English were in Hong Kong launching the Hercules there). The rest of the Bremont range was well represented. I find myself looking more and more at the S300 in blue and white so it’s clearly time to hide the credit card from myself.

ImageWT NYC 7 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

ImageWT NYC 6 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Műhle Glashűtte – I’ve liked this brand for a while. They had nothing new at the show but there was a lot of interest in this little brand from Saxony (CEO check – Thilo Műhle was there. He was engaging to talk to and seemed much more relaxed than when I met him in 2016 at WindUp).

ImageWT NYC 9 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Omega – I was happy to see the white dial Ref 210 Seamaster 300. This is due in the ADs in early November. It looks very nice but is too close to my CW C60 SH21 LE for it to find a place on my wrist. The Ultradeep was fascinating though. They wouldn’t let me try it on as it was only one of three in existence. Although I like a big watch something that is 28mm deep is too big even for me. I thought the case was reminiscent of the X-33. Ultra-premium brands aside this was my favourite watch at the show. A real technical/material science tour de force. (CEO check – Nope, just sales people from one of the local Ads (I think)). This was the stand where the C60 Apex got the most love. I’ve seen this before with Omega people, in general they love a sports watch.

ImageWT NYC 4 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Armin Strom – My real motivation in going to Watch Time was to compare my C60 Apex to the real thing. Now a genuine Armin Strom is way, way, way out of my league. To me, they are engineering achievements more than aesthetic achievements but they are really superb. Put one on your wrist, as I did, and the quality and attention to detail is really obvious. I still don’t want one (lying to myself, clearly) but I can understand why they have their reputation.

ImageWT NYC 8 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

CEO check – They had the owner of their local distributor and a Master Watch Maker Level 4 on the stand. The watch maker was interested in the C60 Apex. He’d never seen a complete C60 Apex before.He recognised their work on the dial but was surprised to see how much of their work was visible from the back.

A. Lange and Söhne – They had a big booth. At one end was a microscope though which you could peer into the mechnical beating heart of one of their movements. It was a treat to see the degree of finishing first hand. They really are very special. (CEO Check – he may have been present but I spoke with one of their Master Watch Makers). They had some Zeitwerk watches on the stand to try on. So I did. That ruined my day. Now I want one. And a Lange 1 too. A clear case of champagne tastes and beer money. Never, ever put on a Lange. Watch lust will kick in and life in a caravan seems worth it. Drat. The watchmaker was also interested in the C60 and the co-operation between CW and Armin Strom. He was taken aback by the depth of the case. The SH21 is a great movement but it’s never going to win a prize for thinnest movement.

ImageWT NYC 10 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

ImageWT NYC 11 by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

Quick snippets
Glashutte Original – Lange wannabees, very nice but not as special.
Grand Seiko – Lume please. Why do so many of their watches not have lume? The Spring Drive GMT is a s lovely as ever though.
Breguet – I get the history but not the current range of watches.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: The A. Lange and Söhne experience - Watch Time NYC 2019

Post by watchaholic »

Thanks, nice write up. What a lovely way to spend the afternoon, or evening, as the case may be. Don't feel too bad about the beer money budget. Sadly, most, but not all, will be sold to someone with more money than actual appreciation for their purchase.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Thanks Watchaholic. This was a morning affair. I was there for a couple of hours from 11:00 Am when it opened until about 13:00. I was tired of haute horology by then and went back down to WindUp to recover.
I think you're probably right about purchasing power verses appreciation. From some the conversations I overheard at some booths it was status that mattered more than anything. That's the way the world is, I suppose.
Mark
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That sounds like a fascinating day. Good that you could show off the C60 Apex to the AS crew.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Looking at the Armin Strom magazine that I picked up it is entirely possible the the Watch maker I spoke to on the stand was Claude Greisler one of the co-founders of the modern Armin Strom. I'm not sure if I need to go and revise my "CEO check" or not.
Mark
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting write up. :thumbup:

Always good to try on out of budget stuff at these type of events.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

A great report and read - many thanks.

A version of the resonance is holy grail territory for me!

'Tis me
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

Great write-up Mark - thanks :thanks:

That Zeitwerk does look good......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO