A place to discuss other watch-brands
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Studio Underd0g New Release???

Post by robert75 »

angusbon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:46 pm For all the naysayers regarding price, have a listen to Rich on the SW podcast today, might put your expert minds to rest....
When compared to the CW core collection actually comes out favourably.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the price is quite reasonable considering similar small number watches out there, it could be better priced but it is what it is.

Not sure I will be buying one though as I have no intention of signing up to the whole feeding frenzy "buy within a certain time slot" nonsense.

Still nice watches though
These users thanked the author robert75 for the post:
MistaFroggyG
MistaFroggyG
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

I agree that the price seems reasonable considering the Sellita movement. I would have preferred a mechaquartz movement in their last watch more than the Seagull chrono.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

robert75 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:31 pm
angusbon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:46 pm For all the naysayers regarding price, have a listen to Rich on the SW podcast today, might put your expert minds to rest....

I think the price is quite reasonable considering similar small number watches out there, it could be better priced but it is what it is.

Not sure I will be buying one though as I have no intention of signing up to the whole feeding frenzy "buy within a certain time slot" nonsense.

I don't think it's nonsense. It's more a Kickstarter type method of marketing, reasonable for a small company. Single release, fulfil orders, no surplus stock to try to sell. It's what Jody is doing as well..
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Stif
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

MistaFroggyG wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:40 pm I agree that the price seems reasonable considering the Sellita movement. I would have preferred a mechaquartz movement in their last watch more than the Seagull chrono.
I dont mind the Seagull chronograph its nice looking, hand wind etc. Problem I have is they are pretty much a throwaway movement (I had one years ago that was broke and looked to get it repaired and was basically told you may as well just throw it away and get a new movement) A new movement and replacement can be done pretty cheap and a quick look on Ali Express and you can get a Seagull 1963 chronograph for a little over £100 so if they are buying you are basically paying for the dial which is nice enough and a bit of fun but I dont really think £500 or whatever they are selling for "fun"
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

JAFO wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:54 pm
robert75 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:31 pm

I don't think it's nonsense. It's more a Kickstarter type method of marketing, reasonable for a small company. Single release, fulfil orders, no surplus stock to try to sell. It's what Jody is doing as well..
They all do it, Ming, Kurono, Furlan Marri, Anordain the list is endless.

Its the whole FOMO nonsense it really took off during covid when everyone was at home so the internet was the way to go. If it was really a genuine thing then I look at say Timefactors who sell until they have reached a sales limit then close for the week. This is just engineered to make people think they are going to miss or our that they are buying some kind of limited edition stock. Their chronographs were a throwaway movement with a quirky dial they are hardly family heirlooms to pass on.

They are nice enough but there is absolutely no way I will be getting caught up with all that hype nonsense.
These users thanked the author robert75 for the post:
MistaFroggyG
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

robert75 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm
Its the whole FOMO nonsense it really took off during covid when everyone was at home so the internet was the way to go. If it was really a genuine thing then I look at say Timefactors who sell until they have reached a sales limit then close for the week. This is just engineered to make people think they are going to miss or our that they are buying some kind of limited edition stock. Their chronographs were a throwaway movement with a quirky dial they are hardly family heirlooms to pass on.
I don't think Timefactors can be held up as a gold standard in hype- and FOMO- free purchasing with their sales-limited, one wrong click and you've missed it sales windows.

There'll be a nine hour sales window with no stock limit for these models and everyone that makes a purchase in that window will get a watch.

I know which of those two buying experiences I prefer.
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Rich.

CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I thought I would look at the CW website to see what they have for up to £800, so I sorted all watches by ascending price.

I don't know if the only way CW can do this is to show all the sealander variants first, but it would be easier if they could just show model ranges with a price range, rather than every option, so you can see a dozen product ranges with a from price, and then go to the ranges to review a more detailed choice.

Anyway, having done that, I can see quite a few options in that price range, most with alternative bracelet options, which admittedly take the price over £800.

I just struggle to be interested in this particular underdog, especially as 37mm is too small for me. I've been tempted previously by the goofy chronographs, but not by the field watch.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

biggus_richus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:35 am
robert75 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm
I don't think Timefactors can be held up as a gold standard in hype- and FOMO- free purchasing with their sales-limited, one wrong click and you've missed it sales windows.

There'll be a nine hour sales window with no stock limit for these models and everyone that makes a purchase in that window will get a watch.

I know which of those two buying experiences I prefer.
I was comparing the whole FOMO time slots and limited editions getting endlessly churned out. I didn’t say Timfefactors were a good standard I said at least they just open then sell until they reach their quota they can manage to process and post I don’t have a problem with that. Last Sunday it was open for quite a bit so you could have easily picked something up.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

I prefer this to the original chrono, which was fun by design but not for me. The 'beyond economical repair' movement also didn't appeal.
So here is a ground-up quality watch by design and it's more 'interesting' than 'a bit mad'. Proper industrial design chops on display here. The size also suits my skinny wrist well. I have a few in that range and it works.

As for the price at first I thought a tad steep but when you discover what's gone into it, including TST strap, I'm OK with that.
Whilst I'm an Aussie, I'm enjoying the resurgence of British watchmaking in both breadth and depth. It comes at a certain price though and I'm OK with that too.

Does it mean I would buy one in that already infamous 9 hour window? I'd certainly enjoy wearing it.
One of the more intriguing releases in some time for me. My collection as it stands needs bull's eyes to welcome new members and it's a definite dunno :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 2):
straplinemissF
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Noush wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:54 am I prefer this to the original chrono, which was fun by design but not for me. The 'beyond economical repair' movement also didn't appeal.
So here is a ground-up quality watch by design and it's more 'interesting' than 'a bit mad'. Proper industrial design chops on display here.
Yeah, I completely agree with this. I don't think the price is unreasonable at all. Will I buy one? probably not. I do like the fact that SU are shaking the whole watch thing up. I can see this type of watch being very popular with the Gen Z's.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Trs1982
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

Did anyone place an order?