Steinhart Grand Prix LE decison time

A place to discuss other watch-brands
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Steinhart Grand Prix LE decison time

Post by redd »

I've been on the waiting list for a few months and am now up to number three on a long reserve list. There are enough left (where the deposit has not been paid) to be reasonably confident that I'll get offered one soon. Pictures of the actual watch parts are starting to appear with new 3D computer mock ups.

The only thing making me blink is that at €910 to a few hundred more than I've ever paid for a watch. So please convince me to jump (which involves selling 3-4 watches, including 2 keepers) or run away from one of these:

1. Case Size: 44mm (New Nav.B with domed sapphire crystal case-Chrono - 5 ATM)
2. Material: Titan (with steel-solid ground, steel and glass base (both in bead-blasted finish) and polished steel bezel with classic aluminum inlay)
3. Color: Titanium / Stainless Steel
3. High-gloss white dial with the "CD-Cut" deepened milled matt black subdials, Rehaut white, black bezel
4. Accent Color Orange (Pantone 165c)
5. Button at the 2 clock with orange accent (two electives milled grooves filled with orange color)
6. Hands and markers are as tuned in Kaschis design design
7. Hands and markers will receive a white blue light mass (BGW9)
8. And crown matched as in Kaschis designs (Crown 8mm diameter, not screwed)
9. Rotor silver with "Lankrad" design - Finish still open!
10. Bands: Titanium band (in the Ocean-style) and a black leather racing band with orange stitching to a white rubber / leather composite band with orange stitching (two bands each in three sizes!)
11. ETA Valjoux 7750 working in the quality grade "Top" with Soigné Finissierung

previous infoand more mock ups are on the previous post here http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... f=8&t=6511
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Steinhart Grand Prix LE decison time

Post by downer »

I like this watch a lot, and I actually think the price is quite reasonable.

However, these projects always attract a lot of attention for a reasonably short time. There will be a scramble and maybe even a period where the watches attract a premium, but eventually, I think the demand and supply will even out and the flippers will flip into a saturated market, causing the prices to drop. So, if you can wait six or nine months after the launch, you will be able to pick one up for £600-700.

Just my thoughts..
Richard
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Hey Redd. I seem to recall posting on this LE edition ages ago. Has it really taken this long to get this close to getting one?

Setting aside the usual 'if you like it then go for it' approach, I would recommend you give up and walk away. Forget all the time you have spend waiting to get hold of one, think about all that you could buy for the circa £800, do you really want to get something with ORANGE on it anyway, following all the torture-by-poll that we experienced not that long ago.

On the other hand, it is a steinhart LE, they do retain a decent level of interest/value, the bracelet will be splendid as will the case, etc, you sound as though you have a couple of pieces you can let go and if you like ORANGE then this will be for you as it has a tasteful amount of that particular colour.

Hmmm. I think I can be of absolutely no help at all here. What do you think? 8)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

At about £770 it is not bad for a 7750 and it is an LE. So if you like it and can get the funds together then go for it.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Hmmm....as i said when you first flagged it up,i really like it a lot.
The price....well its not cheap. Is it a 1K watch? Only you can answer that. I would say that if you really,really wanted it you wouldn't be (a) asking us ,or (b) being hesistant about selling ones to fund it.
Richard is quite correct regards pricing,although i suspect the price for this is less 'hysteria' driven and more the fact its a limited run so will cost more per unit to produce.
I'm not,however,so convinced you will easily find these in the second hand market. You very rarely see the Steinhart special LE's for sale so i would say (money allowing :lol: ) go ahead with the order without selling anything. Wait till you get it and see what your reaction is. If it's WOW! then there you go...if it's not then either you could return it (what's Steinharts return policy on this?) or easily sell it straight on with very little,if any loss. Tbh,if it's got that much of a waiting list then there should be no trouble whatsoever.
Tell you what,if you do buy it i'll buy it off you in 6-9 months for £500 8)
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I really like the look of this watch, would I buy it? The answer is No, but that is because I will never spend that amount of money on one watch - well lottery winning might change that! If it is within the budget you are happy with and you like it the I say go for it, but as Downer says a second hand model will no doubt appear in a year or so at a bit less.

That does'nt help either does it! :shock:
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

Loads of good info/thoughts.

In no particular order:

The waiting list is currently 47 people and has moved 'very' slowly
The LE Proteus appears to have held its price very well (so far). They do loads of other LE's tbh but I think thate the Grand Prix and Proteus are a cut above the rest.
CWL LE's hold their prices very well.
If the new owner of a PO LM LE ;) thinks its worth the money - it is!
Not that I know anything about movements - but its says it is a 'top grade' 7750

Why am I dithering?

I have no concerns about the watch itself, 'think' it is worth it, but would be going wayyyy out of my comfort zone of £300-£500. With a reserved Moray 3, I could only afford it through watch sales and that would include at least 1 I'd rather not let go. i.e. I'd have to make sacrifices and its a tough call. If I had £800 readilly available I wouldn't blink.
Tony

redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

downer wrote:I like this watch a lot, and I actually think the price is quite reasonable.
btw Downer

Did you spot where my original CWL C60 2012 LE design (white face, with Orange second hand and orange accents) came from? 8)
Tony

downer

Post by downer »

redd wrote:
downer wrote:I like this watch a lot, and I actually think the price is quite reasonable.
btw Downer

Did you spot where my original CWL C60 2012 LE design (white face, with Orange second hand and orange accents) came from? 8)
And here was me thinking you made it up all by yourself. :lol:

Seeing the Grand Prix LE again, it is one of the more unique LE's they've done. Another one they did was the ASTA LE. That was for sale at €780. There is now one on Chrono24 for €1290.

I say GO FOR IT!!
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

redd

The obvious response is 'if you like it, go for it'.

Only you know whether you can afford it and if it's a watch you really lust after.

Good luck with the decision

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Steinhart watches are well made.
It's a top grade 7750.
It's a low volume LE.
It looks great.
It's worth the money.

vs.

It's a lot of money.

Only you can answer this conundrum.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
va812
Senior
Senior

Post by va812 »

redd wrote: I have no concerns about the watch itself, 'think' it is worth it, but would be going wayyyy out of my comfort zone of £300-£500. With a reserved Moray 3, I could only afford it through watch sales and that would include at least 1 I'd rather not let go. i.e. I'd have to make sacrifices and its a tough call. If I had £800 readilly available I wouldn't blink.
While the Moray 3 has "budget-friendly" pricing & looks good, the Grand Prix LE has a superior movement, Swiss-made, titanium case & bracelet, awesome design (IMHO) and 150 pcs LE. I'd trade places with you on that wait-list any day! :D
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

It's a good looking watch with good specs and a LE, I would love to own one (if I had the funds). :?
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

alphajet wrote:It's a good looking watch with good specs and a LE, I would love to own one (if I had the funds). :?
Thanks for all the input. I had a think about it overnight and have pretty much decided that I'm going to have a clearout to fund this. A deadline of 1st Sept has been given to those who have not paid deposits:

Some more pictures:

Tony

downer

Post by downer »

redd wrote: Thanks for all the input. I had a think about it overnight and have pretty much decided that I'm going to have a clearout to fund this. A deadline of 1st Sept has been given to those who have not paid deposits:
Great stuff. Looking forward to your pics. :)
Richard