SOTC - a year of change

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

SOTC - a year of change

Post by tempus fugit »

Thought it time to post a SOTC, as watch case has held a variety of watches over the year, some staying for only a few weeks or months, others have lasted the full twelve months.

I haven't been as scientific as some on here in measuring the amount of wear, with their (very impressive) charting of days each watch has been worn for, but I will say that the two that have had by far the most wear are the SMPC and the BBN. However if just counting since my birthday in Feb, then the Speedie wins; it's hardly been off my wrist on work days.

Having said that, all these watches are survivors - the SM30 is a treasured vintage piece that I use as a dress watch; the Tag was my first ever proper watch, hardly gets worn but has sentimental value as a gift from my parents; the Dynamic was a gift from my Dad and gets won around once a month; the Turtle is a beauty (one of two but the other is in a box and now going as a gift); the Casio is a super little grab-and-go beater and cracking when fishing after dark; the C5 my first CW and a gift from my wife - the watch that really got me into watches; the C60 GMT was a grail at one point in 2016 but I have fallen out of love with the polished centre links and decided to brush it all over (I will do a separate thread) although I'm still unsure as to whether to keep it; and the wonderful C1000 which keeps amazing time (+0.5s/day) and I do love a wobbler, sold my C1000 CE and regretted it but I think I love this version even more.

Here we go:

Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: SOTC - a year of change

Post by kiter65 »

Very nice collection you have there Alex :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Terrific collection! Well done indeed. :thumbup:

I don’t do the watch wearing spreadsheets either. Mine would be (at a guess): Tank lots; Speedy lots but slightly fewer; the rest b***er all! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Great selection there Alex. If they were women, there isn’t a single one I’d kick out of bed! Mainly because the missus wouldn’t let me invite them into the house, let alone upstairs, if they be women!
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Lovely collection you have, I'd be happy to own and wear pretty much all of them.

Particularly great selection of Omegas you have and the BBN is one of my favourite watches.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Very nice indeed. Bb speedy and dynamic would be my picks but all good.
Cheers now, Paul
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

Excellent, varied collection. Like me you seem to have a thing for black dials. :thumbup:
Bjørn
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Gotta say Alex, there's not a dud among them! I'd be happy to own each and every of those, including the Casio which is not a bad looking watch (don't know what the build quality is like).

I very much like all of the Omegas, but you've got a lot of other equally nice watches to choose from.

So... How stable is this lot? Any under threat of selling or are you reasonably happy with them?
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

A superb collection, Alex, and nice to have those personal attachments too - thank you for posting.

For me, the Speedmaster & Dynamic really sing out (partly I suppose because I also have the former and covet the latter) - such strong designs, with interesting stories, bags of character and superior legibility.

I don't think you can really do much better than a classy vintage Omega as a dress watch, it's a real looker. And every collection should have a Seiko.

In my opinion, the Black Bay range is one of the very best watch lines to be released in recent years, with a killer blend of looks, quality, capability & value.

Surprisingly (for me), the C1000 also really stands out as a very handsome watch that I'd maybe overlooked until now, and it works really well on that strap.

I'd happily wear any of those in that box though - excellent.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A brilliant collection Alex, some lovely beauties there mate ;)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Lovely collection, the Seiko on a nato looks pukka!
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An excellent bunch Alex. :thumbup:

Although you haven’t detailed the ones moved on, if I recall correctly from other threads (and previous signatures) this included a vintage Rolex and another Tudor.

The vintage Omega, BBN and Moonwatch are the stars for me.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

Thanks very much guys - and knowing what fantastic collections you all have, I'm flattered by the high praise (in comparison my collection is quite modest).

It's pretty organic as it ebbs and flows but there's been a gradual move to more of the traditional luxury brands and my tastes have evolved. That's not to reflect negatively on the likes of CW - despite my critiscims of the brand direction from a marketing perspective, they make amazing watches that punch above their price point - but more of a reflection of my evolving desire to seek out quality according to peer recommendations on this and other forums, with the benefit and good fortune of increased spending ability.

As to those that have departed? There is barely one I'm glad to see go - and many with some regret - but I have to keep within a budget. Neil - Correct, I've said goodbye to - among several others - a Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/date (really regretted, I will buy another) and BBR (I just preferred the BBN and bought both to compare, so red had to go). And my saddest goodbye, the Rolex Precision - it was beaten for wear almost every time by my Omega SM30, I tried to give it to my wife but she only wanted it on a bracelet, which is impossible to get at anything other than crazy prices. The good news is that I eventually sold it to a local WIS in a restaurant where I live, over a coffee and a lovely long conversation about watches, so I know it's gone to a good home and hopefully get a lot more wear than I was giving it, despite trying every strap under the sun!
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag