Show me your Bremont! (and share your thoughts!)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Camulos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Show me your Bremont! (and share your thoughts!)

Post by Camulos »

Hi all. I've enjoyed seeing Bremont's new releases. They're a brand I really like and would to own one at some point. They are pretty pricey though...and I have seen some people say that they think they've overpriced.

I'd love to see your pictures and your thoughts on Bremont please!

Thanks

Mike
Trident Pro 60 GMT auto, C8 Flyer auto, C5 Malvern manual-wind, Trident Pro 60 Submariner (quartz)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Show me your Bremont! (and share your thoughts!)

Post by Caller »

They are only overpriced, depending on what you have to pay for them and whether you think that represents VFM? It's a personal assessment and I understand that in the UK, discounts are now available. T'was ever thus elsewhere.

I have two, the U2 Blue and the MBIII GMT, both 43mm. My other half has the 37mm white Solo, which she is comfortable with, others might not be. Build quality is excellent and they feel like they will last forever and a day. Hence, the movement of the crown still feels as it did on the day when first used. They are chronometers, which adds to the cost, but timekeeping remains excellent. Size wise, some think they are two high, but that depends on what else you are used to. Some models are indeed high, by anyone's definition, and the 37mm solo, in proportion, certainly is, but not an issue here. Mine are effectively three handers and are perfectly fine. Overall, I would say 'rock solid' seems a reasonable metaphor. Design is subjective, as with all watches, they either appeal or they don't.

'Tis me
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

My Bremont journey started back in 2012. My local Rolex AD was a stockist and as I became more aware of the brand from the internet/watch forums I started to get interested.

Many people criticise Bremont for being "A marketing company that sells watches" rather than "A watch company that does a bit of marketing". This always makes me smile, because those same people will often own Rolex, Omega, Longines or whatever - which are of course marketing companies... Of course, there are watch companies that don't do much marketing - Damasko, Sinn etc - and there's nothing wrong with that, it's simply that Bremont have chosen a different path.

Anyway, back to the watches. My first was an MBII with a green case barrel:

I was attracted by the "different" case construction, the hardened steel, and the fact that Bremont appeared to have come up with something new. The watch was expensive compared to many competitors, but I felt the quality was top notch - particularly the AR coating.

A few months later I bought an Supermarine S500 in blue:

Both the S500 and the MBII got a lot of use, although on the bracelet, I always felt the S500 was a heavy watch, and also that the bracelet quality was not as good as the watch itself.

Later that year the white Solo was released:

Both the lower-profile case and a slightly lower price were attractive...

I owned all three watches for a few years, but ultimately sold them to fund other things, and also because I'd lost a lot of weight and felt the watches had started to feel to big - although in 2016 I managed to buy a NOS Alt1-C/Silver at a good price:

and a Terra Nova:

The TN is titanium and was a very comfortable watch, especially on the rubber strap.

After that (and having sadly re-gained some of my 'lost' weight) I started to feel comfortable with the 43mm case again, so I bought a ZT51...

On face value, the ZT51 was my ideal watch, but actually I never really got on with it, so I sold it after a few months.

All of the above have now gone.

When Bremont introduced the 40mm case, it reignited my interest, so when I saw an S300 in a "closing down" sale, I snapped it up:

Overall, I rate these watches highly. For sure, some of the marketing is over the top, and the company has made mistakes (who hasn't?), but in the end, the product is good and to me - that's what matters. However, it's a fact that Bremont do not hold their value as well as some other brands (Rolex is the benchmark), so if you are a flipper, I would strongly advise buying in a sale or second-hand.

I don't have too many watch-related regrets, but looking back I wish I'd kept the MBII and the Terra Nova. One day I will replace one or both, and would also like to buy one of the new 40mm releases.
Richard
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Forgot to mention the other Bremont in our household - the Solo 32-LC...

Richard
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@caller and @downer - thanks for your write ups and photos gents; I know they are primarily for the benefit of the OP but make interesting reading nonetheless.

I've not owned a Bremont (yet) myself, so am not able to offer any constructive opinion, but must say that they do offer some very attractive watches.

From what I've read on forums and sales websites (eBay & Watchfinder mainly) they do not, as already commented, hold their value well, but then I'd advocate that its only the likes of Rolex and Omega that do hold their value and most other brands depreciate heavily (bit like cars really).

As to marketing?

Is it true to say that they have done a lot, with their forthright and prominent marketing, to push the brand forward a long way in only a short time to be able to compete with brands with 100+ years heritage? I feel it is and is thus a notable achievement.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Having tried many on, I think that Bremont make high quality watches. I have considered buying one, but I don't think that I would wear it enough to justify the outlay. Might still buy an Airco at some point though (maybe).

Out of interest I would also place current Omega amongst the heavily depreciate from RRP bracket (with the exception of a few LE models).

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Camulos
Senior
Senior

Post by Camulos »

Caller wrote:They are only overpriced, depending on what you have to pay for them and whether you think that represents VFM? It's a personal assessment and I understand that in the UK, discounts are now available. T'was ever thus elsewhere.

I have two, the U2 Blue and the MBIII GMT, both 43mm. My other half has the 37mm white Solo, which she is comfortable with, others might not be. Build quality is excellent and they feel like they will last forever and a day. Hence, the movement of the crown still feels as it did on the day when first used. They are chronometers, which adds to the cost, but timekeeping remains excellent. Size wise, some think they are two high, but that depends on what else you are used to. Some models are indeed high, by anyone's definition, and the 37mm solo, in proportion, certainly is, but not an issue here. Mine are effectively three handers and are perfectly fine. Overall, I would say 'rock solid' seems a reasonable metaphor. Design is subjective, as with all watches, they either appeal or they don't.
Thanks for sharing! Lovely pics. Especially like the MBIII. Love the detailing of the handle on the second hand, and the coloured barrel.
Do you feel any differently about it since MB's recent negative coverage?

Thanks again!
Trident Pro 60 GMT auto, C8 Flyer auto, C5 Malvern manual-wind, Trident Pro 60 Submariner (quartz)
Camulos
Senior
Senior

Post by Camulos »

downer wrote:My Bremont journey started back in 2012. My local Rolex AD was a stockist and as I became more aware of the brand from the internet/watch forums I started to get interested.

Many people criticise Bremont for being "A marketing company that sells watches" rather than "A watch company that does a bit of marketing". This always makes me smile, because those same people will often own Rolex, Omega, Longines or whatever - which are of course marketing companies... Of course, there are watch companies that don't do much marketing - Damasko, Sinn etc - and there's nothing wrong with that, it's simply that Bremont have chosen a different path.

Anyway, back to the watches. My first was an MBII with a green case barrel:

I was attracted by the "different" case construction, the hardened steel, and the fact that Bremont appeared to have come up with something new. The watch was expensive compared to many competitors, but I felt the quality was top notch - particularly the AR coating.

A few months later I bought an Supermarine S500 in blue:

Both the S500 and the MBII got a lot of use, although on the bracelet, I always felt the S500 was a heavy watch, and also that the bracelet quality was not as good as the watch itself.

Later that year the white Solo was released:

Both the lower-profile case and a slightly lower price were attractive...

I owned all three watches for a few years, but ultimately sold them to fund other things, and also because I'd lost a lot of weight and felt the watches had started to feel to big - although in 2016 I managed to buy a NOS Alt1-C/Silver at a good price:

and a Terra Nova:

The TN is titanium and was a very comfortable watch, especially on the rubber strap.

After that (and having sadly re-gained some of my 'lost' weight) I started to feel comfortable with the 43mm case again, so I bought a ZT51...

On face value, the ZT51 was my ideal watch, but actually I never really got on with it, so I sold it after a few months.

All of the above have now gone.

When Bremont introduced the 40mm case, it reignited my interest, so when I saw an S300 in a "closing down" sale, I snapped it up:

Overall, I rate these watches highly. For sure, some of the marketing is over the top, and the company has made mistakes (who hasn't?), but in the end, the product is good and to me - that's what matters. However, it's a fact that Bremont do not hold their value as well as some other brands (Rolex is the benchmark), so if you are a flipper, I would strongly advise buying in a sale or second-hand.

I don't have too many watch-related regrets, but looking back I wish I'd kept the MBII and the Terra Nova. One day I will replace one or both, and would also like to buy one of the new 40mm releases.

What an amazing collection and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing. LOVE that green case barrel MB and also dig the blue Supermarine. I think these are the two styles I like the most, though I really like the new U2 Hawk version.

Appreciate your thoughts and the pics - absolutely drooling here!!
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I've struggled to like Bremont for many years after I found out about them for a few reasons:

1)the RRP's are crazy high and for a long time they never really authorised any sales to take place which meant I couldn't buy one without stupidity

2) One of the brothers looks like a total bell, a vision of upper class drunken ****. Sadly he seems to be more visual in the marketing than the other, more reserved Brother,

3) for a long time I was on my soap box about brands not giving buyers smaller watches and that's really only changed in the last three or so years ...Bremont had only a couple of smaller sizes so very little choice and I've only recently made peace with bigger cases.

Having said all that I always thought a Bremont solo 37 would make an ideal one watch. Recently a few sales at different AD's have given me two Bremonts. I'd never pay RRP for a Bremont but these were basically second hand prices and they are easily my two favourite watches in my collection now:

They're getting so much wear, they are actually helping me cut numbers in my collection without a care. I thought I might sell the MBII aswell but since putting it back on leather its become a daily wearer almost.

Tested beyond endurance ie Toddler proof watches, no greater test than that :lol:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Camulos wrote:Thanks for sharing! Lovely pics. Especially like the MBIII. Love the detailing of the handle on the second hand, and the coloured barrel.

Do you feel any differently about it since MB's recent negative coverage?
Not at all. Despite the incident that led to the tragic death of Flt Lt Sean Cunningham, the ejector seats have saved over 7000 lives since their introduction. The saddest thing of all is that a lot of politics kicked in as a result of this incident, almost overshadowing Sean Cunningham's death.
'Tis me
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

It is easy to forget that there are so many Bremonts on the forum, and it is great to see another British brand on the forum.

They can be rather divisive as a company and tend to have a love/hate reaction!

I am rather a fan of the brand, and if you take out all the spiel, they are well made, attractive, robust timepieces that are well worth considering.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I bought this in a recent Beaverbrooks give away sale. I paid £2,716 for what IMHO is a lovely watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

Some lovely pieces in this thread. Wasnt really aware of Bremont before. 8)
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Richard D wrote:I bought this in a recent Beaverbrooks give away sale. I paid £2,716 for what IMHO is a lovely watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A cracking purchase Richard. I must chase a WT down one of these days. A lovely watch.

Sent from my IRON using Tapatalk
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I do like Bremont and always have but more so now that they are bringing out a fine collection of 40mm pieces.

I was in Goldsmiths Southampton on 21st March trying on a Jaguar Chronograph Mark II which isn't everybody's cup of tea due to the cutaway from 4 to 8. Goldsmiths had just received this brand new and were offering a decent deal bringing it down from £5195 to around £3400 (a saving of 35% or £1795).

I have to say at that price I was tempted but not owning a Jaguar nor a lover of 43mm watches I reluctantly walked away.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)