seiko coutura chronograph

A place to discuss other watch-brands
hebridean
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

seiko coutura chronograph

Post by hebridean »

Hi spotted one of these on a trip to Edinburgh that Ive just returned from .Could anyone comment either way.
Thanks
c8mk1skt c15swt c6sos c70dbr1 casio gshock
oris diver date hamilton jazzmaster chrono
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: seiko coutura chronograph

Post by Terminator 2 »

Not for me if Im honest. Quartz for a start but that is truelly just a personal thing which is up to the individuals own preference. However the thing I really hate about watches like the Coutura is the integrated bracelet design. You will not be replacing it with anything else any time soon. Nothing else will fit and when it gets badly worn or damaged you will be looking only to Seiko no doubt at great cost for a replacement. Again this might not bother you if you intend to chuck the watch away after 2 or 3 years. For me though I now buy watches to keep and I cant stand any watch with an integrated bracelet. It almost stopped me buying a C2 LE if Im honest and is the main reason I never bought a standard C2. Only the LE auto aspect changed my mind. I dont know why watch makers bother with integrated bracelets. Awful things euuuuugh.

:roll: :wink:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Terminator 2 wrote: I dont know why watch makers bother with integrated bracelets. Awful things euuuuugh.

Just ask Monkey about the fun he is having with his Ebel strap!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

Terminator 2 wrote: However the thing I really hate about watches like the Coutura is the integrated bracelet design.
Not just that, but strsps like this look sickly to me, they look like, being faced with a plate full of broken cadburys cream eggs for a Sunday lunch!!!
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

Kip wrote:
Terminator 2 wrote: I dont know why watch makers bother with integrated bracelets. Awful things euuuuugh.

Just ask Monkey about the fun he is having with his Ebel strap!

Yeah, tell me about it!! :roll:

Ebel, in their wisdom, decided to have a strap that screws into the watch via a special little plate fixed into the end of the strap!! I'm finding the deployment clasp on this a bit uncomfortable now, so want to change it, but can I get a regular strap for it............NOPE :fluch:

A new strap from Ebel (with same deployment) is ridiculous money, so I'm going to get one custom made by Rich at Toshi I think, using the fixing plates out of the original strap, which is already quite worn......which is another reason for not buying another Ebel strap!!

The actual watch is superb.........just this strap business is p*****g me off :motz:
John
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Terminator 2 »

I dont know if awful designs like these simply came about due to aesthetics or if it was in fact a conspiracy from watchmakers. By that I mean after a few years of continuous use and your bracelet gets tatty do they really want you to just throw the watch away because you cannot get a replacement bracelet for it hence buying a new watch. Because of this design they have a built in a shelf life. Modern watches of this type will be unlikely to survive long enough to ever become vintage watches. My earliest recollection of this design type was with Tag. How many older Tags have you seen for sale on the bay etc fitted with a leather strap that someone has cut out so it can fit the watch. They look hidious and I would never give a watch like that any wrist time. Apart from my hatred of Kinetics this is the main reason why I cant stand the modern official line up offered by Seiko UK. I love my Seiko's but not what we currently see on offer here.

If you plan on having your new watch for a long time hebredean then dont buy the Coutura. If you do want a decent Seiko then head along to RLT and get one of the Divers on offer like the Monster or SKX007. You will also be able to get two of those for the price of one Coutura from a high street shop in Edinburgh.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I think Terminator is spot on. You are paying for a style which is fine if you like it I guess..... but in five years time it will be out of date.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

I don't have one of those but I do have an Arctura GMT which has the similar built in bracelet. At the time I was looking for a GMT watch to fill a hole in my collection and was'nt so anti quartz, also got a good deal on the bay.
The Seiko Kinetic I found to be very reliable, I had a early Kinetic diver which lasted 7 years before the capacitor packed up, I could replace it, new one's are available on the bay. This had been my only watch for the 7 years so it was pretty well banged about, good value for the £200 paid for the watch. I often see people knocking Seiko Kinetic on different forums, but to me if you are a one watch man it makes sense, the latest capacitors are supposed to be more reliable than the old ones and should last longer than my 7 years. I think Kinetic is a good choise especially for a divers watch no need for pressure tests every battery change.
I know some would say automatic is better and now I would probably agree, but quartz is more accurate, I always take one on holiday with me if only to set my automatics.

Here is a pic of the Arctura, the bracelet is pretty solid and I am sure would last for the life of the watch, it does not get much wrist time these days.

It will get even less wrist time when this baby arrives in February:

http://www.benarus.com/gmtauto/index.php
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
downer

Post by downer »

Very keen on the Benarus GMT, Alphajet. And envious!

Which combo did you go for?
Richard
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by CornishDave »

I have a kinetic Seiko it stopped working after about 8 years, anyone know if they have a limited lifespan? I have'nt tried to get it looked at as I am not that keen on it any more and would'nt want to spend money on it.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by CornishDave »

Sorry forgot to say that Benarus looks great but the wife would'nt let me! Hope you are going to publish photos Alphajet??
hebridean
Senior
Senior

Post by hebridean »

Thanks for your replies guys ,will have to take the integrated bracelet
a bit of thought but I did like the look of the dial and it would be a watch
that would be worn now and again because my cws are always on my wrist,
my favourite brand.Cheers
c8mk1skt c15swt c6sos c70dbr1 casio gshock
oris diver date hamilton jazzmaster chrono
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

downer wrote:Very keen on the Benarus GMT, Alphajet. And envious!

Which combo did you go for?
I have ordered the grey and orange as it appears to to stand out and be more legible, but it was a hard choise as I like the look of the black / blue as well. :D
CornishDave wrote:Sorry forgot to say that Benarus looks great but the wife would'nt let me! Hope you are going to publish photos Alphajet??
Will do as soon as I get the watch. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).