Rolex AirKing - had the call

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Rolex AirKing - had the call

Post by Mark78 »

Having been on a wait list for just over a year, had a call from WoS to say I have an Air King if I want it.

Feel slightly conflicted if I’m honest, would be a massive jump from previous c2k purchase of a Seamaster and Bremont Solo.

Purely as an investment, it seems a no-brainer as second hand models seems to be in the 8k area but I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable wearing it and would insuring it be a nightmare?

Grateful for any advice, especially round trajectory of Rolex prices.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Rolex AirKing - had the call

Post by scooter »

Well I think you are very lucky.

I'm not giving you any advice though.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post (total 2):
magicmanchrisedwards
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by NationOfLaws »

Go check Watch Charts. The secondary market for Rolexes has been steadily dropping since the middle of the year. Still higher than what it was this time last year, but don't buy it as an investment piece since it seems like you'd be buying before we've hit the pricing floor. Also because it seems like a crime to keep a watch in a safe when someone else could enjoy it.

Buy it because you want to wear it or spend the cash on something you could wear. My two cents.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
David. S
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Personally, if I had to beg, steal or borrow to afford this type of purchase, I would pass.
But if I was in a position, to buy it without financial hardship, I think I would go for it.
It seems a no brainer, in some respects, as you say, the resale value makes it a pretty safe investment.
But finaly, i have to add, due to my own personal experience of selling my higher end watches, and losses incurred, it makes me a bit wary of of taking the financial risk. Others may say go for it 100 %.

I suppose, you may struggle to get the opportunity again, so I hope, the reply you receive, will help you.

Apologies if mine doesn't.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It depends on how much you want it – it’s just a watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I'll add that the Air King is one of the least desirable models. They have pretty much held steady in price for some time. The WatchCharts chart is a little deceiving because it only shows the pandemic bump.

Here is a longer term picture from Chrono24 (which pretty much shows the top market pricing IMO - their other charts show a range and the actual is probably nearer to the bottom of the range).
Screenshot 2022-11-30 125427.jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Buy it, purchased mine last year (discontinued model) it wasn’t really on my radar but had the opportunity to purchase from my AD and it has probably become my most worn watch, apart from my daily beater, post about that tomorrow,
As for insurance, I just name my watches on my house insurance :thumbup:
I’ve said this many times take away the hype/b@££&#*t regarding Rolex, their watches are absolutely stunning :D

Don’t fall for the ‘resale value ‘ just buy yourself a stunning watch, I bet if you ever do have to sell it, it will give you a better return than 95% of other brands :)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

If I could buy it without hardship I’d be on it in an instant. And I’d wear it as I happen to like the Air King. Rolexes are nice watches. But I’d only be buying to wear it. The investment notion is too uncertain for me to tie up that kind of money and not enjoy the investment at the same time.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
rkovars
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

buy it and flip it
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Purely as an investment
Investing is a more socially acceptable name for gambling isn't it? Buy it if you genuinely want it and accept any fluctuation in price for what it is.

It's interesting to see that while forum members heap opprobrium on flippers who hoover up previously unwanted watches in the CW sale, different rules apply to Rolex. I suppose they do, don't they?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

golfjunky wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:30 am buy it and flip it
Simple advice, and would it be a tough sell ?
probably not, for a modest or decent profit.
If that appeals.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

As someone who has been on 'the list' for 18months (this or the Milgauss) I would probably go for it. Though have to admit with the passing of time I would have to think long and hard about it. I wouldn't buy to flip personally as I buy to wear (though of course you could easily and at least money back and some profit).
I also think the new version keeps the best bits of the old and improves on it.

Edit: ok, thought about it and coincidentally had opportunity to try new AK on and a Milgauss at AD this lunchtimein London (someone else's order of 3 new Rolex 🙄!) yes I absolutely would!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Now here is a thing:

Flip it to someone on a forum? Nope most on forums are bright enough to work out that this is a watch what will be readily available in an AD window, sooner rather than later.

Flip it to the trade at a profit? Good luck with that. Most are already sitting on too much stock, that they paid too much for on the up.

Flip it on eBay? Well yes if you want to take a risk.

There is a reason that the internet is awash with folk saying “I have had the call”, when they weren’t expecting it…

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

nbg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:33 pm
Now here is a thing:

Flip it to someone on a forum? Nope most on forums are bright enough to work out that this is a watch what will be readily available in an AD window, sooner rather than later.

Flip it to the trade at a profit? Good luck with that. Most are already sitting on too much stock, that they paid too much for on the up.

Flip it on eBay? Well yes if you want to take a risk.

There is a reason that the internet is awash with folk saying “I have had the call”, when they weren’t expecting it…

Neil
Agree in principle with this, think it would be still possible to flip quite easily at a modest uplift. How long this continues though is anyones guess but the price trend is down and availability seems to be slowly increasing.
I will await the call that others seem to have been getting and yes, more seem to have had recently.
As stated though, if I do then its as a watch to wear not flip!
I remember not so long ago when these were unloved by the Rolex world and could be had for c.4k!

To the OP, let us know what you decide. 🙂
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
chrisedwards
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by chrisedwards »

If you don't want it, please ask WoS to offer it to me as I'm also on the list for an Air King and would happily buy and wear it!
These users thanked the author chrisedwards for the post:
MiniMpi
CWs: C40 IPK, C1 Bel Canto Nero and C12 ‘Twelve’ blue titanium

Others: don't ask..!