Right, clear out the EBay watching list and start selling...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Right, clear out the EBay watching list and start selling...

Post by tikkathree »

That's right, I have discovered my grail watch for retirement.

https://www.brellum.swiss/en/shop/duobo ... #DB.CH.102

I've been metaphorically hanging around at their website and FB group for a while now. I'm known to be a 7750 fan so it's a good goal for me to aim at. It is COSC rated so will sit well with my CW dive and aviation-themed wobblers (plus all the others!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I've (mostly) stripped out my EBay WATCH THIS ITEM list, so I'm trying incredibly hard not to buy anything in the coming hours/days/weeks/months.

I've started to flip out sacrificial lambs by way of justification though, in truth, the purchase is intended to celebrate the end of my "paid employment" life this September.

The only CW on the redundancy/downsizing/resource delayering list is my dear old C70 Vanwall COSC; otherwise the list mostly comprises microbrand dive watches and a few remaining Vostoks. Am I still thinking that I might flip the three Tritech Elites? Well I'm trying not to think about it.

So the Brellum Duobox: I'm not yet ready to make a choice of dial colour: I'm favouring the silver, possibly the blue, there's a new sunburst brown which I need to see more of, there's a panda in the wings and there's an "all sold" Limited Edition Energy Reserve dial which just hits me right between the eyes......

I think I want this to be a properly "grown up" watch devoid of bright Ikea colours.

There we are, life after retirement is shaping up quite nicely already!
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Right, clear out the EBay watching list and start sellin

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Pete - I'm sorry but I don't get it.

Yes the Brellum looks a fabulous piece and worthy of its grail / retirement status for you. . . .

. . . but why do you suddenly have to stop enjoying a collection of watches and sell them off, just because you've retired?

Surely they're all paid for (not like you bought them on the never, never and won't be able to afford the repayments) and I'd assess you're not short of a bob or two to be able to buy the Brellum.

Please stop, think, reassess.

Guy

PS > please do not feel offended by this and feel free to completely ignore my plea.

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That silver faced Brellum is gorgeous, I can fully appreciate the attraction, and not an unreasonable price for such a beautiful watch.

Am I reading correctly that you are only selling a few pieces to offset the cost/conscience here rather than a full scale clearout (sell off) of the collection?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I can see why you like it Pete , it is a lovely watch .
Bernie
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Pete - I'm sorry but I don't get it.

Yes the Brellum looks a fabulous piece and worthy of its grail / retirement status for you. . . .

. . . but why do you suddenly have to stop enjoying a collection of watches and sell them off, just because you've retired?

Surely they're all paid for (not like you bought them on the never, never and won't be able to afford the repayments) and I'd assess you're not short of a bob or two to be able to buy the Brellum.

Please stop, think, reassess.

Guy

PS > please do not feel offended by this and feel free to completely ignore my plea.

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
Guy, how could I possibly ignore such a well-meant plea?

Please be reassured, they aren't all going, only some of them. Maybe 25% of them.

Other people seem to manage a "one in, one out" lifestyle whereas my watch collection has been just like Topsy.

The plan has always been to reduce the collection "en retirement" I suspect because I shan't have the mindset of "I need a watch to cheer me through this cheerless day at work" hence a fair proportion of "red dial diver, yellow dial diver, blue dial diver, green dial diver" and so on.

I should line up all the 7750 chronos then you can see just how sensible I really am being.
tempusmaximus wrote:I can see why you like it Pete , it is a lovely watch .
Phew!
Thegreyman wrote:That silver faced Brellum is gorgeous, I can fully appreciate the attraction, and not an unreasonable price for such a beautiful watch.

Am I reading correctly that you are only selling a few pieces to offset the cost/conscience here rather than a full scale clearout (sell off) of the collection?
You've got it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Crossi
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 9

Post by Crossi »

As everyone else has said the watches are lovely, especially the Silver Face.

Having had a quick visit to the website I must confess that all of the marketing stuff leaves me a little bewildered. Apparently the brand name has deep meaning, partly because his village begins with a 'B' and also because it has some of the same letters as his name(!). Why can't these obviously very capable companies rely on the fact that they make a great product? (Bremont also comes to mind - most appreciate the watches but no-one believes the story about a French Barn). I also wonder if they realise that they're sharing their brand logo with the Vauxhall Corsa :-).

Anyway, rant over (it's that kind of day) but still love that silver dial and good luck with the retirement - a path that I'm currently pursuing with hope of a final pay check in the spring.
C9 Chrono / C9 / C10 MkI / C11 / C5 Slimline / C60 Pro 600 Red / C4 Peregrine / C60 Pro 600 Green / C70 VW
Vintage Omega Seamaster Gold (Birth year watch)
Omega Seamaster Pro Quartz
Tag 2000 Classic
TW Steel Goliath
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Crossi wrote:
Having had a quick visit to the website I must confess that all of the marketing stuff leaves me a little bewildered. Apparently the brand name has deep meaning, partly because his village begins with a 'B' and also because it has some of the same letters as his name(!). Why can't these obviously very capable companies rely on the fact that they make a great product? (Bremont also comes to mind - most appreciate the watches but no-one believes the story about a French Barn). I also wonder if they realise that they're sharing their brand logo with the Vauxhall Corsa :-).
Gosh, I'm honoured to have now met someone who at least goes to the trouble of reading marketing blurb. I'm afraid I'm pretty much a "rips packet open, throws away plastic toy, tips sugar puffs into bowl and adds milk" kind of guy. hahahahhaa
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It's a great idea. You love a 7750 so I say go for it.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

tikkathree wrote:I should line up all the 7750 chronos then you can see just how sensible I really am being.
Definitely - can't have a cull without doing a SOTC first :)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Nice looking watch, great movement but just that bit too thick for me at over 16mm.

Not sure if I could make the choice between the blue, silver or black as they all look really nice.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: ...a properly "grown up" watch devoid of bright Ikea colours.
this made me smile! :D
i've never heard of brellum before, but you're the expert on wobblers, and this is a really really fine looking watch.
enjoy the anticipation (but do post a SOTC of the current batch before you send them on their way :thumbup: )
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote:
tikkathree wrote: ...a properly "grown up" watch devoid of bright Ikea colours.
this made me smile! :D
i've never heard of brellum before, but you're the expert on wobblers, and this is a really really fine looking watch.
enjoy the anticipation (but do post a SOTC of the current batch before you send them on their way :thumbup: )

Okay, okay. Actually I don't plan for any of the wobblers to go in the near future, just thinning out the dive watch end of SOTC. And the C70 Vanwall COSC.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Who asked about a Wobbly SOTC? My Certina is missing from this group.Image

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

a really fine collection T-3. i wouldn't wear a chronograph myself because ii find them a bit busy, but i do appreciate the design skill of conveying all that information on such a small space - and of course the movements must be very interesting too. good luck with the grail, and the plans to thin out the divers :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote:a really fine collection T-3. i wouldn't wear a chronograph myself because ii find them a bit busy, but i do appreciate the design skill of conveying all that information on such a small space - and of course the movements must be very interesting too. good luck with the grail, and the plans to thin out the divers :thumbup:
Thank you missF.

The Typhoon's not that busy.... :lol:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands