Rethinking the collection.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Rethinking the collection.

Post by atnits »

Perhaps it's just the January blues, but I've been thinking seriously about my collection, reducing it down to 2 or 3 key pieces - not starting again completely, though having a proper "spring clean". (This could well involve moving on my C5s :shock: )

Serious thoughts, I know, but I think it might help me re-focus on what watches I really want this year.

I presume other people here have been through this culling/regrowing process before?
highway62

Re: Rethinking the collection.

Post by highway62 »

still in the growing phase! :lol:

though the sector and remora fell along the way....
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Must be the weather, been thinking exactly that while cleaning my watches just now. Thinking of reducing my 16 to three and put the fund towards the omega I am lusting after.
Incoming: 0
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

atnits wrote:Perhaps it's just the January blues, but I've been thinking seriously about my collection, reducing it down to 2 or 3 key pieces - not starting again completely, though having a proper "spring clean". (This could well involve moving on my C5s :shock: )

Serious thoughts, I know, but I think it might help me re-focus on what watches I really want this year.

I presume other people here have been through this culling/regrowing process before?

You are not alone. I've just sold 2, originally with the intention of replacing them with just one but something further up the range. It was going to be a C90 but having seen all of the wonky numbers comments & returns going on I think it might be worth playing safe with a C3 Malvern, a watch I've wanted since I first saw it but never got round to owning one. Now to decide if I buy new now, wait for the next sale or hang around the For Sale page.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

At the end of 2010 I had a big shift as I had just been buying up to that point and decided it was time to sell. 2011 was about reducing the collection which I have done. I bought 15 watches last year but managed to sell 23. And there were a few that I bought and sent back. But still not as much as I should so there will be more for sale from me this year. It is deciding which ones have to go as I like them. :problem:

The collecting phase was interesting as it helped me decide which styles I like.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not thinking of reducing just at the moment, but I do intend only to go for high quality stuff now, whether modern or vintage. The only exception to that is that I need something cheap and waterproof to wear in and around the pool on holiday!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:The only exception to that is that I need something cheap and waterproof to wear in and around the pool on holiday!
You should have gone for a C6 at 50% off. :D Hindsight is wonderful. :lol:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

The January blues were brightened considerably by the arrival of my PRS20 and I have now ticked the hand-wound box in my slowly growing collection. The trouble is, winding and wearing it is such a pleasure and the lack of a second hand hasn't been such a bother that my thoughts are now turning to the next hand-wound, rather than the GMT I had intended to make my next purchase.

I can see a time in the not too distant future where a couple of the less worn pieces will be released into the wild but right now, at seven mechanical pieces and not including the quartz ones, I think the collection has a bit of growing to do.
Amor Vincit Omnia

ianblyth wrote:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:The only exception to that is that I need something cheap and waterproof to wear in and around the pool on holiday!
You read my mind, Ian...kicking myself but keeping an eye open for Sales Corner. I might put in a WTB.

To develop the topic, 2011 was my "feeding frenzy". To begin with I had my 2 Omegas and a couple of quartz watches. Since last June I've bought 3 CWs (C8, DBR1, C5), 5 vintage manual-winds that were fairly inexpensive or very cheap, and a couple of quartz chronos. I've now got expensive incoming in the shape of a Nomos Tangente. Some get more time on the wrist than others (I tend to rotate the little manuals for work). I had a size issue with the C8 for a while, but that's fine now that I've accepted it's a nice casual weekend watch. So I don't see myself doing any horse trading for a while, but I will have to slow down and be more discriminating! 8)
Steve

androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by androo »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
ianblyth wrote:
You read my mind, Ian...kicking myself but keeping an eye open for Sales Corner. I might put in a WTB.
)
Speak very nicely to Jag in case he decides to let his C6 collection go
Amor Vincit Omnia

Certainly will...eyes open, like I said! :D
Steve

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Certainly will...eyes open, like I said! :D
Orient Mako? or does it have to be a CWL?

Has been a very good year for the collection and im finally at a point where i could probably stop (if i was pressures that is - in reality im about 2 good watches away from that point). Im quite content with the 15 that fill the box as it stands but do have fat to trim that dont make the grade. With them gone i think im gonna put down this habit and be thankfull for what i've got.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

I am currently in the process of a bit of a re-jig. A CW quartz out, a CW auto in. One other change to come.
Amor Vincit Omnia

nathanclarinet wrote:I am currently in the process of a bit of a re-jig. A CW quartz out, a CW auto in. One other change to come.
Please don't put the Port up for sale...YET!! :lol:
Steve

nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Re: Rethinking the collection.

Post by nathanclarinet »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
nathanclarinet wrote:I am currently in the process of a bit of a re-jig. A CW quartz out, a CW auto in. One other change to come.
Please don't put the Port up for sale...YET!! :lol:
That is the one that will never go. A la patek phillipe, I am merely looking after it for the next generation :grin:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk