LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Rethinking the collection.

Post by Kip »

androo wrote:I want a geiger counter now
We should have known that one was necessary if collecting vintage. :oops:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

And perhaps its not a good idea to keep my vintage watches in my pants
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

androo wrote:And perhaps its not a good idea to keep my vintage watches in my pants
:aengstlich: :problem:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"
CW-watches: 1

Post by 28800bph »

Good read there, thanks for the link.

This watch I just disposed had the entire dial treated in radium paint, so much more radium material vs. watches with only painted markers or hands.

Lots of those paints degrade over time and become friable. The dust can be inhaled or ingested. I think the risk is negligible, except when opening the case to service the movement.

But don't leave your vintage radium watches lying about the house if you have small kids that put things in their mouth. That's why we got rid of it.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Interesting bit of "earthy" Italian in your sig, scooter! Any ref to this week's news? I see they're printing t-shirts with that on along with the Captain's face!
Very much so AVO but I'm not going to encroach on this interesting thread.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Peteo wrote: Another person who did a bit of a rethink recently is downer. Many of us were surprised when he sold a slew of his pieces all at once a few months ago. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on this subject.
I did indeed have a bit of rethink, and sold a few, based on getting rid of those I wore the least. In the end my thoughts can easily be summed up, and scooter does it very nicely...
scooter wrote:Quality over quantity every time.

scooter
I have decided I am not a collector for the sake of collecting, and therefore, I don't need, and furthermore, cannot make use of dozens of watches. Equally, I don't want to create a massive maintenance overhead by having a bunch of watches demanding services.

So, a few watches that really satisfy me on one level or another is where I am heading. Ultimately, I would aim to have around 12 or so.

Of my current collection, I have four that are definite keepers, a few probables and several candidates for the next clear out.
Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

hmmmm if either the PO or Aqua terra is for the chop......:wink:
downer

Post by downer »

highway62 wrote:hmmmm if either the PO or Aqua terra is for the chop......:wink:
No chance. The 'for ever' keepers are the PO, the AT, The Sinn 358 and the 2009FLE. :)
Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Drat! Foiled again! Curses!!
:lol:
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

There are shops that sell them. You could just go out and buy one you know. :wink:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
highway62

Post by highway62 »

or all 3! :lol:
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

downer wrote:
highway62 wrote:hmmmm if either the PO or Aqua terra is for the chop......:wink:
No chance. The 'for ever' keepers are the PO, the AT, The Sinn 358 and the 2009FLE. :)
How long is forever? Which of your watches would have been 'forever' 12 months ago before those 4 arrivals?

In my own way (and much further down the watch food chain) I've upped quality over quantity in the last year and will try and slowly upgrade them, as opposed to adding to them.
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
downer

Post by downer »

redd wrote:
downer wrote:
How long is forever? Which of your watches would have been 'forever' 12 months ago before those 4 arrivals?

In my own way (and much further down the watch food chain) I've upped quality over quantity in the last year and will try and slowly upgrade them, as opposed to adding to them.
Today, I cannot imagine ever selling those 4 watches. I know there are better quality watches than my PO, but honestly, I can't imagine ever trading up from the level of Omega. For me, anything more expensive would be intimidating to wear, and therefore, a bit pointless.

12 months ago, I think the only 'forever' watch I had was the 2009FLE.
Richard
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Following on, I've decided to reduce my collection to 1 diver, 1 chrono & 1 dress - then take it from there.

So my keepers will be:

My Colt diver. I love the colour, it survives all the bashing I give it and, at 38mm, fits me perfectly. At the mo I can't think of many divers I'd swap it for. Maybe a midsize Tudor Sub, or perhaps a minty vintage midsize Heuer diver - but even then I think I might prefer the Breitling.

My PRS-12 Speedbird chrono. I love the simplicity of the dial, and the case is lovely and well-fitting (38mm again). My favourite chrono I've tried up to now. I've toyed with "upgrading" it to a Speedmaster day-date, but I think I prefer the Speedbird.

Vintage Omega - my dress watch. I've had it for several years, and it's very nice. V comfortable too.

They'll be various watches for the chop, then - including my C5 aviators. Both my Speedbird and my Omega need some work on them, so that will help to pay for servicing and repairs.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Brave man, but you'll still have a nicely varied trio to cover all bases...I'm really glad to see you're keeping the Seamaster - it's a beaut! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time