LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Rethinking the collection.

Post by Kip »

I keep everything.......bad habit, but I love it. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Kip wrote:I keep everything.......bad habit, but I love it. :lol:
Indeed - I can't see you reducing your collection to 2 or 3 in the immediate future. :D
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

I'm too young to reduce the collection.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"
CW-watches: 1

Post by 28800bph »

I've never sold a watch till yesterday.

I finally decided to sell my great uncle's solid gold 1956 Lord Elgin for scrap value. It was a little watch, 31mm, and I got $120 for the 14k scrap value.

It was a decent watch, still ran, but very hot. My geiger counter went crazy near the radium dial and my wife wanted the radioactivity out of our house.

I'll be putting the $120 toward a new Greubel Forsey Double Tourbillon Technique. I hope whoever inherits this from me does not go have it melted for scrap!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

It was a decent watch, still ran, but very hot. My geiger counter went crazy near the radium dial and my wife wanted the radioactivity out of our house.
Sir Knight, you never cease to amaze us!Will that $120 even pay for the box the Greubel Forsey comes in?
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

atnits wrote:
Kip wrote:I keep everything.......bad habit, but I love it. :lol:
Indeed - I can't see you reducing your collection to 2 or 3 in the immediate future. :D
I'm only a year into collecting watches, and I don't really know if I'll be like Kip and keep everything. I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I won't be an overly aggressive flipper. I've identified my C60 and my C9 FLE as two pieces that I'd like to try and keep as long as possible and eventually pass down. On the other hand, I have already thought about flipping my Seiko and either my C5 (in favor of a C9) or my C2. So who knows? I think some collection rethink will need to happen at some point or I'll have more than 200 watches by the time I'm ready to retire. :lol:

Another person who did a bit of a rethink recently is downer. Many of us were surprised when he sold a slew of his pieces all at once a few months ago. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on this subject.
Peteo
CWs: C70US #702, 2009FLE #34, C65 S. Compressor
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Quality over quantity every time.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
highway62

Post by highway62 »

but at some point quality rather than quantity comes into conflict with having a variety of watches & might even lead to having just a single watch for all occasions. Always presuming limited funds of course! :problem:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting bit of "earthy" Italian in your sig, scooter! Any ref to this week's news? I see they're printing t-shirts with that on along with the Captain's face!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Incoming: 0
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

I do, every day :lol:
Graham
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-one: yes

Post by androo »

28800bph wrote: My geiger counter went crazy
A geiger counter? you have a geiger counter?

a geiger counter.

:shock:
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

It was in grad school when I had my own geiger counter in the lab and checked the watch. Half life of Radium is 1601 years, so I figure not much has changed since I measured it years ago. I took the Lord Elgin out of storage, and my wife suggested it should go.

These days you can get your own Geiger counter from Sparkfun for $150. Hopefully I don't need this for any home projects.

ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Most of the effects are caused by ingesting it (early people who painted the Radium on the watches and used their lips to shape the brush. :shock: :thumbdown: The main radation from Radium is mainly alpha which can be blocked quite easily http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium
Radium was formerly used in self-luminous paints for watches, nuclear panels, aircraft switches, clocks, and instrument dials. A typical self-luminous watch that uses radium paint contains around 1 microgram of radium.
In the mid-1920s, a lawsuit was filed by five dying "Radium Girl" dial painters who had painted radium-based luminous paint on the dials of watches and clocks. The dial painters' exposure to radium caused serious health effects which included sores, anemia, and bone cancer. This is because radium is treated as calcium by the body, and deposited in the bones, where radioactivity degrades marrow and can mutate bone cells.
During the litigation, it was determined that company scientists and management had taken considerable precautions to protect themselves from the effects of radiation, yet had not seen fit to protect their employees. Worse, for several years the companies had attempted to cover up the effects and avoid liability by insisting that the Radium Girls were instead suffering from syphilis. This complete disregard for employee welfare had a significant impact on the formulation of occupational disease labor law.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-one: yes

Post by androo »

I want a geiger counter now