Raven Vintage

A place to discuss other watch-brands
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Raven Vintage

Post by redd »

Raven watches are now part of the same Group as Benarus (my fave micro/boutique brand) and have just released photos of their first Vintage edition watch. A sub homage that real WIS's would no doubt be able to compare to originals.

Here are a couple of photos borrowed from the timetechtalk forum where you can find the full set and a raven sub forum:

From the man himself "We are currently finishing up a vintage style oyster bracelet. This Raven is 42mm wide, 51mm lug to lug, 15mm high at the top of the crystal, to the bezel is about 12mm high. The fit and finish is absolutely perfect. We will have these finished and ready for sale on the Raven site in mid February. They will be $680 + shipping. Price is subject to change in the future."

I feel a hole in my wallet on the way.
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Raven Vintage

Post by ianblyth »

A modern retro homage. Looks quite nice although at 42mm it is larger than the original and being quite a flat case I suspect that it will sit similar to the Steinhart Ocean-1 which is too long and flat for my wrists. Just as well as it is a bit pricey.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

ianblyth wrote:A modern retro homage. Looks quite nice although at 42mm it is larger than the original and being quite a flat case I suspect that it will sit similar to the Steinhart Ocean-1 which is too long and flat for my wrists. Just as well as it is a bit pricey.
They usually charge $50 postage and you will get customs fees = approx £570 total

I agree its on the expensive side (less so if that's a ceramic bezel) when compared to a Steinhart Ocean 1, but on the other hand it is less than the stupidly priced MKII Kingston.
Tony

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It has a nicely lumed bezel not sure if its ceramic although I have heard rumours. I tthought I would buy this one when it was first announced, the original was really nice and had a home made look but this one leaves me a little cold. Perhaps its the bigger size which I don't really like. I won't be getting one now but am interested in seeing the vintage bracelet.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

Not sure about this one, will wait and see it on the bracelet, although it will probably sell out very quickly. The quality will be spot on from Benarus and the CS is great as well.
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

The most interesting thing to me about this watch is that the gold hands and minute track don't look out of place on a black dial/steel cased watch - it just contributes to the vintage look.
:thumbs:
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

Dancematt wrote:It has a nicely lumed bezel not sure if its ceramic although I have heard rumours. I tthought I would buy this one when it was first announced, the original was really nice and had a home made look but this one leaves me a little cold. Perhaps its the bigger size which I don't really like. I won't be getting one now but am interested in seeing the vintage bracelet.
I posted this on TZ as well and a member there said "the bezel uses an alloy insert with the numbers and marks engraved into it and filled with a C3 lume compound"

A budget version of Omega's liquid metal by the sounds of it.

I do like it, but think I will give it a pass. The first of many vintage designs to come from them and worth keeping an eye on.
Tony

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I love the look, and the high domed crystal is fantastic. The size is terrible. I don't like this trend of creating 'vintage' pieces, and then making them huge.
The same thing is happening with cars. I think the only 'vintage' car on the market now that is similar in size to the original is the Mustang. Fiat 500, Mini, Beetle, Dodge Challenger, Ford GT, all larger than the original. In the case of the Mini about 50% larger.
How about some vintage style watches in vintage sizes? A vintage diver in 37-40mm size? Yes please!
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but forums are littered with people complaining about watches being too big these days.

You don't hear nearly as much about their being to small. 99% of vintages watches are not an option for me due to the size which I find a pain, so I buy modern watches.

Smaller wristed people get the pleasure of wearing the real thing, I get homages.
Tony

stumpbass
Senior
Senior

Post by stumpbass »

redd wrote:Smaller wristed people get the pleasure of wearing the real thing, I get homages.
In other words, smaller wristed folks have a limited selection of new watches to choose from these days. Yep, I'll complain about that!
C5 Cream Auto
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

ianblyth wrote:A modern retro homage. Looks quite nice although at 42mm it is larger than the original and being quite a flat case I suspect that it will sit similar to the Steinhart Ocean-1 which is too long and flat for my wrists. Just as well as it is a bit pricey.

Looks right but I tend to agree that 40mm would have been the right thing here....
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue