A place to discuss other watch-brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Question on collecting

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Hi All

I've read Downers rules of collecting which I found interesting but had a general question on collecting other brands.

I have found several watches that I might dream of wearing one day but that day is a long way off having just got our first house and having a lot of associated bills so I have a limited budget that doesn't cover any of the watches. But I have found more modestly priced watches in several styles do you recommend buying one or two (with Christmas coming up) of these to add to my 3 CW and put in rotation for wearing and then slowly start saving for the future collection?

Along the same lines as the above does anyone own any of the following they wouldn't mind posting a picture of and sharing the views

Gavox
Techne
Tiger Concept
Parnis
Orient

Thanks Neil
Neil
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Question on collecting

Post by gaf1958 »

I started with a number of inexpensive watches a decade or two ago and gradually increased both the number and range of watches as my disposable income increased over the years. I think it's an eminently sensible way to build a collection. After all expensive watches are not the only nice watches out there (in many cases not even as nice) - I have many inexpensive ones that I enjoy every bit as much as the better ones. God knows there are a lot of watches that I like but still can't afford, but it hasn't stopped me :)

With a first house, there are many other things to spend your money on the expensive watches!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Question on collecting

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks Gaf I'm going down the inexpensive route to start with trying to find ones visually similar to the more expensive ones I'm dreaming of

First one I've decided on is this Image as a Nomos is well out of my current budget and I've gone off the Parnis/Homage options
Neil
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fnew »

Orient is a very underrated brand IMO. I'm actually wearing my Orange Mako XL today and I still can't get over what a great watch this is. Excellent VFM.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

True. Also, Pedro Pascal wears an Orient in the new Netflix series "Narcos" - great watch. :)
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by eggtronics »

These appear to be available now.

http://regnum.watch
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I can't comment on the others but Orient are great. I wear my two Makos for pool, beach, and outdoor pursuits and they are 100% reliable. They also do some really good watches in dressier styles, e.g. The Bambino would grace any dinner party.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I'll add my vote for Orient. Their level of fit and finish is really good at the price, movements might lack hack or handwind but they are bullet proof and generally good timekeepers. Also a very wide selection of styles.
Bambino and Mako are favourites on here and I have both. Great watches, excellent VFM.

Sent from my GuyPhone using ****
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Buy within your means for now. A new home is far more important. You could build a lovely collection just from orients as others have said as you could from seiko 5 or at a much higher price level cw.
One word of warning! Be careful the bug doesnt grap you too hard. Trust me when I say it can easily become obsessive and you can end up targetting expensive watches that can push you financially telling yourself thats the last one. Trouble is that usually isnt the case! Good luck.
Cheers now, Paul
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks Josh I had seen these were available now but I managed to convince myself that the recent 25% off was too good an offer to miss and spent my watch fund on a C8 Flyer. Thanks for the comments about Orient I do like the Mako. Stefs thats what my partner said well a variation of that think it was more along the lines of another bloody watch! I am trying to tell myself that the Flyer is that last one, well until the kitchen, bedroom and then second bedroom are decorated. I did have to have a word with myself when we got a new mattress this week and I was thinking for that money I could get a nice watch!
Neil
alex-w
Senior
Senior

Post by alex-w »

Tiger Concept and Parnis are all about "inspired by.." watches, I don't recall anything original from them. You could add Tisell to that list if you wish to spend a bit more, but still way below Steinhart price. Orient on the other hand goes their own way, and has incredibly broad spectrum of styles and prices. I own Bambino, completely adore Orient Star GMT, and appreciate their divers line despite not going to buy any of them now. Orient is one of those few companies that you could base collection on, until you get to that luxury level. Then you'll have to switch to Grand Seiko.
andy_wrx

Post by andy_wrx »

eggtronics wrote:These appear to be available now.

http://regnum.watch
I bought one of them a couple of weeks ago - very nice for £60odd (on NATO)

There seem to be a few microbrands/kick starter which look similar, but I like that this has the small seconds at 6
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

I don't know about the other brands you mention but Parnis are fairly well known for homage watches of more well known brands (IWC Panerai) Most people start with a modest inexpensive collection which is probably best as if and when you come to sell it will be no great loss rather than paying out on something big only to realise you are going to take a big hit if you happen to sell.

There are plenty of inexpensive watches out there to choose from that are highly respected. Orient, Seiko, Citizen are the most obvious in fact with the likes of Orient Mako, Orient Bambino, Seiko 007/9, Seiko SARB, Seiko Tuna you could have a respectable collection that does not break the bank and also doesn't look like a Rolex/IWC/Panerai rip off.
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:I have found several watches that I might dream of wearing one day but that day is a long way off
Simples...

Don't buy any more watches. Put the money you might have spent on a handful of cheap watches into a savings account and add a little every month. If you don't do this, You'll never achieve the ones you really want.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
fissionu235
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by fissionu235 »

I agree with Richard B 100%.. put the money in a savings account and save for what you really want. I have flipped so many watches because I did not follow this advice (big time money losses). I have saved and saved and now have watches that I am thrilled with owning and not interested in flipping at all. It might take a while, but the thrill of not settling is priceless.............