Prometheus Recon 5

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jhelms54
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Prometheus Recon 5

Post by jhelms54 »

Found out about Prometheus from WatchUSeek. Really great pricing on their watches with great movements.

Keeping to tradition the Recon 5 is a true pilot watch with a 44mm case, numbered face, and huge Big Pilot style crown. Inside is a Unitas 6497 that you can see through the sapphire covered back. The majority of the case is brushed minus the crown and case back rim which is polished.

The face is really the defining feature on this piece. It is a traditional style with Prometheus’ own take. There is no logo at the top only at the bottom which has the name of the model. jewel count, and “Manual Wound.” The seconds display is at the nine o’clock position with a tiny fat hand that really is pretty neat looking to me. All numbering, markings and hands are luminescent which is very helpful when telling the time exactly at low light.

Band -
A very soft rounded chocolate brown leather strap comes with the piece. It has white stitching and a unique double layered design near the lugs. The buckle is a pin style, polished and engraved with “PWC”.

Presentation -
Almost as nice as the watch is the case that the watch comes in. Prometheus includes a branded, leather travel case which I find to be one of the most useful cases I have ever seen. Inside is a felt lined watch slot that has elastic hold downs for an added layer of protection. Also there is a card slot which holds the manual nicely.

Overall -
The Recon 5 is a very intriguing piece that stands out with a different take on a classic design at a great price. I plan on trying a different band testing this piece as a daily watch. In two weeks I will share my final thoughts so stay tuned.

wymore
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Re: Prometheus Recon 5

Post by wymore »

I noticed on your web site that you really like pilots. Are you an aviator or do you just favor that style of watch?
jhelms54
Junior
Junior

Post by jhelms54 »

You are right I do like Pilots. I think its a phase.

I wish I was an aviator. You?
Drakdalik
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Drakdalik »

Very nice pictures, that's a very good looking watch. :D
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Nice review but not for me i'm afraid...IMHO the numbers are too small and the face is imbalanced....there is the Recon 5 logo (silly name as well by the way),and the small seconds and then a big gaping blank bit.

:rate1:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
highway61

Post by highway61 »

not for me either, very happy with my Steinhart B-Uhr with Unitas movement..the hands on the Prometheus look unfinished somehow when compared to the blued hands of the Steinhart
Lipsy
Guru
Guru

Post by Lipsy »

I love it when people point out the blinding obvious (no offense to the remarks made by folks on this watch)… I end up looking at the images and doing a ‘oh yes…that REALLY doesn't look right’ and am immediately put off the thing. :)
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

Yeeeaahhhh. I actually really liked their Ocean Diver (?) the GMT one.... but that "recon 5" does nothing for me at all. 1/10 is about right!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Must admit it doesn't do it for me. I much prefer either C8 model myself.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Kip wrote:Must admit it doesn't do it for me. I much prefer either C8 model myself.
Me too in both Mk I & II varients
Watches - Too many but not enough!
downer

Post by downer »

Not keen on this one. Ugly strap, and ugly "Recon 5" plastered across the dial. Case looks ok though.
Richard
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

The more of these "bargain" Swiss movement watches I see, the more I appreciate the C8 (in both of its guises).
I don't like the balance of the face on this, nor the name (nor hands, for that matter) but the case looks good! Maybe by the time they get to Mk 3 or so...! :)
highway61

Post by highway61 »

it's definitely no challenger to the C8 , you have to look to Archimede and Steinhart for that..
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

I like it. The dial is a little sparse but I dig the gauge look I think they're going for. I don't mind the model name or having it on the dial. That said, I'd feel a bit of a dandy telling someone "it's a Prometheus." My only niggle would be the black on the hands doesn't match the dial. Love the case but not the strap. Screw pins are a good idea.

Anyway, much more to like here than not imo. Pay no mind to the naysayers. Enjoy your watch!

Enjoyed your website. Keep up the good work!
jhelms54
Junior
Junior

Post by jhelms54 »

I wouldn't say its better than the C8 either. I see it as a different type since it is a manual wind.

So far I am not digging the band either. Plan on changing it to black which I think will look a lot better.

The crown is actually starting to grow on me. Never thought I would say that since it is so huge.

One thing I do really appreciate is how solid this watch is. The feel of the wind and case is great.

My C8 is a long term watch for me which I plan to have for a very long time. This watch I plan to hold onto for a year or less.