Problems with Rolex Explorer

A place to discuss other watch-brands
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Problems with Rolex Explorer

Post by theaub »

On Sunday my Rolex Explorer II 16570 started playing up. The hour hand decided not to move anymore, only when the GMT feature was used. But even then the cogs that control that function didn't work: the hand just went round and round. So, a trip to Watches of Switzerland today; I was surprised to learn that Rolexes are only under warranty for two years - mine is four. Off it went to the Rolex repair people in London and I'm looking at having to pay for it to be fixed. Chagrin.

Must say I never thought that a workhorse like this watch would suffer such a malfunction.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Problems with Rolex Explorer

Post by stefs »

Must admit I am surprised. One of the reasons I would buy one is for the bullet proof reliability! Hope it comes back soon and doesn't cost the earth
Cheers now, Paul
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Gutted to hear this mate :( :(
Hopefully it won't cost too much and it will be back to you soon.
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Hope things get sorted quickly
Mark
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Hope that this gets sorted quickly and satisfactorily.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Doesn't the sale of goods act apply to watches as well, i.e. must be fit for purpose for at least 6 years?

I would pursue this angle because a watch of this calibre and cost really shouldn't go kaput after only 4 years. The difficulty will be proving it's an inherent fault with the watch, and not the result of a knock or fists-of-ham user :?

I would be very unhappy at having to pay for a repair if I'd bought it brand new from a Rolex AD. Good luck :thumbup:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Richard B »

Interesting. A similar thing happened to a colleague's Rolex - a DeepSea. I thinks his was approx 4-5 yes old.

He just sent his away for a service and it came back services and repaired. That's the usual process with any out-of-warranty repair with any of the major names. I've done the same with Omega and Breitling in the past.

As far as the sale of goods act goes... first question they're going to respond with is "did you have the watch regularly serviced?"

It's worth noting that a service from the "big three" comes with (from memory) a two year warranty.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

So sorry to hear of your troubles and I do hope it all comes out okay.

However, it just shows that problems can happen no matter what you pay. :(
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Kip wrote:it just shows that problems can happen no matter what you pay. :(
Indeed, no matter the price point anything mechanical is at risk of failure. What we hope for is a swift repair at at fair price. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Two year warranty? On something that cost how much?

That blows.
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Cirrus wrote:Two year warranty? On something that cost how much?

That blows.
The two year warranty is no surprise but what does surprise some is the service and repair costs. My advice is when considering a luxury watch one should factor future costs too.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Berkshire wrote:

That blows.
The two year warranty is no surprise but what does surprise some is the service and repair costs. My advice is when considering a luxury watch one should factor future costs too.
What surprises me is how little confidence they must have in their product!
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Cirrus wrote:
Berkshire wrote:

That blows.
What surprises me is how little confidence they must have in their product!
Good point, but I think it's the norm with most if not all luxury brands.
KAW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by KAW »

That's my experience too; the standard international warranty is 2 years. There are some exceptions like Bremont and CWL (obviously) but most of the well known brands offer 2 years.

The Sale of Goods Act applies but after 6 months the burden of proof is with the consumer, i.e. you would have to prove the fault was present at the time of purchase and not the result of normal wear and tear, accidental damage, etc. You will also need to prove any failing components should have lasted longer than they did.

I guess all you can do is ensure you receive a full report of any faults found and repairs done, then you'll be able to make a decision about pursuing a claim.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Yep, the servicing costs of mechanical watches must be factored into a purchase, and more if you're buying a "big" name.

The cost of servicing and repairing my quartz Ebel and my vintage Omega Seamaster was very high.

That said, Nomos' charges for repair and full service are pretty reasonable, except of course I have to go through the inconvenience of arranging for shipping and paying bank charges on the payment via telegraphic transfer.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen