Poll - your favourite vintage decades?

A place to discuss other watch-brands

What are your two favourite decades for vintage watches?

1910s
9%
1920s
7%
1930s
5%
1940s
5%
1950s
21%
1960s
44%
1970s
9%

Total votes: 43

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Poll - your favourite vintage decades?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Self-explanatory, this one. You can choose two decades. I'm aware that there is some overlap between adjacent decades, but I've actually chosen two for myself that are quite far apart.
1910s in the first, as that was when the WW1 Trench Watches made the idea of men's wristwatches viable. The last decade is the '70s, as I believe a 30-year definition is about right for vintages.
I've chosen 1910s, as I think the trench watches are wonderfully nostalgic, and gave us the wristwatch in a form we recognise today. Some of the designs, borne out of practicality, are fantastic - big numbers, poire-squelette hands, Borgel cases &c.
'20s and '30s I'm not so keen on, as I'm not a great fan of Art Deco, and this style was certainly predominant in the '30s.
Similarly, the '40s and '50s - it was difficult to leave out the '50s as the style I like best was beginning to emerge, but a lot of watches were a bit too small even for me!
The 1960s is of course my dream decade - a glance at my collection will tell you that - lots of simple clean-cut designs in elegant circular cases.
The 1970s I don't really like at all, with a few important exceptions.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Berkshire

Re: Poll - your favourite vintage decades?

Post by Berkshire »

I guess the late 50s was a exceptional time with the Omega 1957 trilogy of the Railmaster CK 2914, followed by the Speedmaster CK 2915 and the Seamaster CK 2913. :D

Not forgetting what Rolex was up to in 1954, they produced a small number of 6200 Submariners. :D
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

God question. I went for art deco & the 60s. I've been doing a lot of vintage browsing recently...
Amor Vincit Omnia

Berkshire wrote:I guess the late 50s was a exceptional time with the Omega 1957 trilogy of the Railmaster CK 2914, followed by the Speedmaster CK 2915 and the Seamaster CK 2913. :D
One of the reasons it was difficult to leave out, along with some of the sublime dress watches produced by PP, VC, JLC and others. :?
Berkshire wrote:Not forgetting what Rolex was up to in 1954, they produced a small number of 6200 Submariners. :D
Meh! :lol:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

60,s very elegant & timeless watches, just wish they were slightly bigger @ 37-39mm.
Graham
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I've gone for the 1910s and 1920s when some of the best pocket watches were produced.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A tough and very personal choice as there is much overlap.

I have selected the 10's and 60's. The 10's for a golden age of pocket watches and the emergence of the wristwatch.

The 60's because of the continued developement of many fine styles from the 50's, more wearable sizes and more useage of complications to the masses.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I have gone for the 50s and 60s with the Fifty fathoms and submariner coming out in the 50s. The start of the Omega speedmaster series starting in the 50s and developing on into the 60s with the moon watch.And in the later part of the 60s the development of the first automatic chronographs to be produced .
Bernie
downer

Post by downer »

As you know, I am no vintage expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, a lot of the watches I'm attracted to have their design roots in the 50's and 60's. So, those two decades get my vote. 8) 8)
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Interesting! I posted the same poll on TWF, and '70s are only one point behind '60s there - this was pretty much what I expected given the number of '70s Seiko and Hummer fans over there!
Steve

Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

I went with the 40's and 60's. There were some superb chronographs made in the 40's, and the 60's - well, a great decade for watches.
Bjørn
gweilgi
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by gweilgi »

I find it a bit odd that the 70's get so few votes.
After all, this was the decade that gave us the PP Nautilus, the AP Royal Oak, the VC Overseas, the Cartier Pasha and the IWC Ingenieur -- classic, long-lived design lines that have passed the test of time and presumably taste...
proud C60 owner (grey)
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Interesting poll AVO :D

Worryingly, I find I have common ground with the 50s being top choice, followed by the 60s - more on the grounds of continuation than anything else......
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i voted 60s because there are a bunch of watches i love from that era (even if some are continuations from the 60s) and the 30s for the origins of the bauhaus watches.
the "g" is for Greg...
Amor Vincit Omnia

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Interesting! I posted the same poll on TWF, and '70s are only one point behind '60s there - this was pretty much what I expected given the number of '70s Seiko and Hummer fans over there!
The '70s are now actually leading over there. I have to conclude this forum has more taste! :D
Steve