Pocket watch advice

A place to discuss other watch-brands
vega
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Pocket watch advice

Post by vega »

I am looking for a relatively new pocket watch (19th century) to use occasionally. I have a budget of 300 EUR.
I would not like to start collecting antique pocket watches I just want one that can keep good time and can be serviced.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Vega
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Pocket watch advice

Post by village »

For that budget you would probably be best looking at s/steel or nickel ...silver will bump the price up a bit. Hunter/half Hunter or standard open face? You will probably find hunter/half hunters more expensive as well.
that said,with a bit of looking around,you can find some nice pocket watches....for instance,i have this Longines half hunter from 1913-solid nickel with a lovely movement and face...keeps good time and easily serviced.

Similarly,and for a lot lot lot less,this Smith's Empire watch which is a lot more 'industrial' but belonged to a miner and stood up to the stresses of his job. Not so pretty but very functional.

Or even,for about half your budget you can find a WWII Jaeger LeCoultrer militry issued pocket watch....superb movement and some history as well!

If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Lots of good value in pocket watches around..

Hamilton, Elgin, Illinois to name a few. Also Christopher Wards inspiration.. Thomas Russell.

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kerfuffle
CW-watches: 4

Post by Kerfuffle »

I know nothing about pocket watches but I have noticed on some online auction sites (not watch sites) that old pocket watches tend to go very cheaply. Specifically, have a look at sites such as http://www.liveauctioneers.com/ and http://www.icollector.com/.

The Longines looks really nice, as does the Hamilton Kip posted. The Smith's Empire watch looks nice to me, its "functional" look appeals.
Member of the C80 owners club