Perpetual Calendars?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Perpetual Calendars?

Post by golfjunky »

Are all perpetual calendars manual or auto or both ?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Perpetual Calendars?

Post by nbg »

Both Greg, although the majority are auto.

As an auto I imagine likely to be kept on a winder when not worn, as the owner may consider it a bit of a faff to reset, if not worn for a while.

I assume owners of a haute horology manual wind PC would probably ensure that their valet wound it whilst not worn, to keep it ticking. :)

I think that there are also quartz watches that are technically a PC.

I have always thought that a PC was more a “because we can” complication, than anything really practical. I.e. generally spend a humongous amount more than a brands equivalent AC - just to avoid having to change the date once a year.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Perpetual Calendars?

Post by gaf1958 »

nbg wrote:Both Greg, although the majority are auto.
<snip>
Neil, I would say there are probably more quartz perpetual calendars than anything else. I’ve owned about half a dozen of them. Citizen and Seiko seem to produce quite a few, many even accounting for leap years. My only current PC is my Tag Heuer Calibre S, which, yes, accounts for leap years ... except that the battery only lasts about 2 years on average. :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Thanks guys, so not liking winders it looks like i will need a valet to keep a manual wound for me or buy a quartz.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Auto or manual very nice to have, the problem is to read them without glasses :?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

gaf1958 wrote:
nbg wrote:Both Greg, although the majority are auto.
<snip>
Neil, I would say there are probably more quartz perpetual calendars than anything else. I’ve owned about half a dozen of them. Citizen and Seiko seem to produce quite a few, many even accounting for leap years. My only current PC is my Tag Heuer Calibre S, which, yes, accounts for leap years ... except that the battery only lasts about 2 years on average. :)
In the case of these quartz examples...if you have to change the battery every two years or so, which means the watch stops and has to be reset, can you really call it perpetual? :lol:
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

^^^ That's why I've got a solar PC.
Also HAQ :D
So never have to adjust it, except daylight saving, for that it has an independent hour hand.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
tartine.74
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by tartine.74 »

H0rati0 wrote:Auto or manual very nice to have, the problem is to read them without glasses :?
Mine is auto, but I definitely can't read it without my glasses :( :lol: :? :? :? :?

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

wow, a beauty. UN quirky, but it certainly works. The problem is the eyes letting us down....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Nice idea, like the 128 year moon phase or the planetarium watch. Extrapolate it beyond normal service intervals by all means, but at some point the insides are going to turn to dried up mush. But if you have it serviced (or leave it in a safe for a period) you are going to have to reset it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Nice idea, like the 128 year moon phase or the planetarium watch. Extrapolate it beyond normal service intervals by all means, but at some point the insides are going to turn to dried up mush. But if you have it serviced (or leave it in a safe for a period) you are going to have to reset it.
I think the Moonphase shift and discrepancy will be the least of your worries in 128 years from now.