Parnis

A place to discuss other watch-brands
colincward1

Parnis

Post by colincward1 »

Hi, does anyone own a Parnis watch?
I quite fancy buying one to have in the collection, but am worried that the price tag will show in the quality.
i obvsiouly dont expect them to be as well made as CW, but are they reasonably well made?
Thanks
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Parnis

Post by village »

Enter Ian,stage left..... :)

I haven't got one or owned one but they are generally well thought of by those that do....one thing that seems to get mentioned a lot is that the rotors tend to be quite noisy.
Ianblyth is your man...he's got/had quite a few!
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I do have a few. 6 to be precise as I sold a few that I was not keen on. The case is made from 316L just like the good watches but the glass is mineral rather than sapphire although you can get some with sapphire. The straps are usually poor or at best are OK and you can live with it but I would budget for a new strap. I have a few on Toshi straps and it makes them look really expensive. They are incredibly good value and look good. You would not guess that they were that price - especially with a good strap. They tend to be on the large size 43mm upwards. I would recomend them. An automatic for less than the price of servicing an auto! :shock:

Plain simple 43mm black dial.

Sold this one as it was a hand wind and could not get on with it. I would have kept it if it was an automatic.

Lovely homage of a PAM diver and klooking good with Toshi tobacco leather with emerald green stitching.

Another PAM tribute and this time with a really nice strap from SouthernCross. I like this one.

All black pilot style like IWC and with power reserve. A great looking watch but too big for me at 47mm so I sold it.

Another PAM homage with power reserve. This one is accurate to 1 sec per day.

Unusual method for changing the strap.

And this is done in the PAM Radomir style.

And the popular and classic IWC Portuguese homage.

On a blue strap from TSS

On a Maratac

On steel (from TSS)

On a blue Toshi
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

I've got these two.....the black dial one bought new for about 50 quid, the other is 'new', but bought as 2nd hand/used from a seller in the UK for only about £23 :D

As for build quality, well, they seem pretty well put together, have nice dials etc. The rotor on the auto is a tad noisy, but I'd imagine a bit of lubrication 'may' sort that out, but I don't really find it noticable. The other is a manual wind that winds up nice and smoothly, and looks pretty good imo, especially considering what I paid :)

John
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Hi colincward. I have heard good and bad things about parnis watches. The negative points always relate to the straps and the noisy rotor although I have also read on other forums that they are not to be touched as the build quality will always let them down after a few years. However, given that they can be picked up for not a lot of cash, they represent a sensible purchase if, like me, you love watches and love rotating between several different styles depending on what takes your fancy. I have never gotten round to buying one as the choices I have made thus far- Junkers Horizon, Vixa Type 1 and CWL C60 Trident- have satisfied my immediate urges. If I found one that I really liked on ebay, for instance, I would probably run with just out of interest.

Lets face it, if it proves to be a dog, you are going to have no regrets getting rid of it if it did not cost much, although from the looks of monkey and ianblyth's posts, it is unlikely you will want to.

Good luck!
springer
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by springer »

I've a white IWC clone, bought for a princely £26 on ebay. It's easily the most accurate watch I have. Gains no more than 1s a day. Excellent build quality for the money. Gets as much wrist time as anything else I have.
Out on the wiley, windy moors....

C2LE
S3SWS (the FPO's)
R20-DEC-SKK (ditto)
C6SOSI
C80GB1
C11-AUTO-BENZ-SKK

Member of the C80 Owners Club
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Some of those straps cost more than the watches I would guess?? :D
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Had one & it looked okay & worked well albeit with the standard noisy rotor. Good for the money but sold mine as it didn't have any long term appeal (to me at least)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

CornishDave wrote:Some of those straps cost more than the watches I would guess?? :D
Yes but they make the watch look so much better.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
colincward1

Post by colincward1 »

Gents, thank you for all your comments; great to see some 'real photos' as well - they always look so much better.
Think i will treat myself; quite like the portuguese looker, or the new tourbillon??
Will definately make sure to budget for a new strap and see if i can take the saphire glass option; am i right in thinking that the light reflects off the saphire glass mich better than the 'mineral glass'?
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by shrink »

well i ordered one of these today:

its a hand wind.. so no noisy rotor to worry about, and a fairly simple movement. Watch this space (no pun intended)
Who watches the watch-men
carlt69
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by carlt69 »

shrink wrote:well i ordered one of these today:

its a hand wind.. so no noisy rotor to worry about, and a fairly simple movement. Watch this space (no pun intended)
I am thinking of getting a Parnis please keep us informed with pictures of course :lol:
Tudor BB Blue
Tudor Pelagos :D
BALL Fireman Storm Chaser Pro
CWL C60 Trident Pro
Vostok Europe Almaz Bronze
Casio G-Shock x 2
Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

For those of you in touch with your feminine side, these also come in pink :shock:
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

Tyke wrote:For those of you in touch with your feminine side, these also come in pink :shock:

After you old boy :wink:
John
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I think the correct term is 'salmon'.... :lol: