Orient 'Mako' Diver

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Orient 'Mako' Diver

Post by Dancematt »

shrink wrote:which is the current one? left or right

much prefer the left one.. has a bit of longines hydroconquest about it, the one on the right looks like another rolex/seiko knock off
Both designs are current/ sold along side each other - Right version is newer. Agree with you on the dial front.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Lovely looking watch and from what I have seen they represent great value for money. I think the yellow and orange versions go for a bit more (Which is a pity as they were the ones I was interested in just for something a bit different) After looking at those pictures though I am very tempted especially as the black Orient divers are cheaper than any other I have seen out there.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

robert75 wrote:Lovely looking watch and from what I have seen they represent great value for money. I think the yellow and orange versions go for a bit more (Which is a pity as they were the ones I was interested in just for something a bit different) After looking at those pictures though I am very tempted especially as the black Orient divers are cheaper than any other I have seen out there.
I think the black is a probably the dullest of the bunch - classic but not special. I have the yellow too - the dial has a nice satin finish. I think the blue dial (blue and pepsi) is the best; a lovely shiny midnight blue.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Loddonite wrote:
robert75 wrote:Lovely looking watch and from what I have seen they represent great value for money. I think the yellow and orange versions go for a bit more (Which is a pity as they were the ones I was interested in just for something a bit different) After looking at those pictures though I am very tempted especially as the black Orient divers are cheaper than any other I have seen out there.
I think the black is a probably the dullest of the bunch - classic but not special. I have the yellow too - the dial has a nice satin finish. I think the blue dial (blue and pepsi) is the best; a lovely shiny midnight blue.
I had the blue version but the dial was so shiny as was the crystal that i found reading it a tad annoying and it eventually put me off the watch. Yellow version used to sell at a higher price than the other colours but these days i've noticed they go for the same amount.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Loddonite wrote:

Well dont just tell us post a couple of photos! Would love to see how the yellow dial one looks in the flesh instead of the usual stock photos.
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

I love the Mako. Ive had the blue version for about 3 months and the time keeping has been great. I never thought id love such a low priced watch and never expected such quality from a watch in this price region.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

robert75 wrote:Well dont just tell us post a couple of photos! Would love to see how the yellow dial one looks in the flesh instead of the usual stock photos.
I really must get the camera out again - this photo is getting a bit over-used now...
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Rooster
Senior
Senior

Post by Rooster »

Tor
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Have been looking for a decent everyday watch that I could wear without worrying when gardening or bathing the kids. Ordered one that night so will be here soon. Thanks again.
Tor Billon
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tor Billon »

Cheers Rooster, hope you enjoy it!
Rooster
Senior
Senior

Post by Rooster »

Slight hiccup. My Mako arrived but didn't work! I couldn't believe it, the rotor made a sick wobbly sound and no amount of rotating or gentle 'shaking' could get the watch to work. I was gutted as it looked fantastic. Fear not, it has been returned and a replacement is winging its was west. Delayed gratification is a good skill to learn I guess.
Rooster
Senior
Senior

Post by Rooster »

Well the replacement arrived and it works! Thanks again Tor, it is exactly what I wanted and fantastic value. I no longer have to feel guilty nor change watches all the time (unless I want to of course!) just to go for a run or do the dishes. Plus I like the look of it, it is definitely getting me prepared for the 2012 FLE.

:D Rooster
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru

Post by FieryTowse »

Loddonite wrote:
robert75 wrote:Well dont just tell us post a couple of photos! Would love to see how the yellow dial one looks in the flesh instead of the usual stock photos.
I really must get the camera out again - this photo is getting a bit over-used now...
I like the Pepsi - it's just been added to the shopping list as a possible alternative to the Seiko Solar Chrono I added yesterday. I hadn't realised there were quite as many cheap auto divers with reasonable reputations. It could quite easily make my shopping for a cheap holiday poolside/swimming watch as hard my choice for my 40th prezzie (I'm no nearer deciding between the C11 and C60 - C60's edging it today in SKS guise rather than SKCS or GMT-SOKS, but only because I'm eyeing up a Steinhart Aviation GMT on eBay!).
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
Tor Billon
Guru
Guru

Post by Tor Billon »

Rooster wrote:Well the replacement arrived and it works! Thanks again Tor, it is exactly what I wanted and fantastic value. I no longer have to feel guilty nor change watches all the time (unless I want to of course!) just to go for a run or do the dishes. Plus I like the look of it, it is definitely getting me prepared for the 2012 FLE.

:D Rooster
Excellent ! Hope it gives years of great service. I really like mine as an everyday choice, but with plenty of class and quality.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Love the yellow Orient watch. Does have that retro divers look about it. Wonder if anyone has an Orange one they want to put on show?
jackthedog
Guru
Guru

Post by jackthedog »

I just got a Blue Mako XL and really like it. I would be wearing it today on a brown strap but the deployment clasp I got isn't working very well. So far I really like the watch. My only two comlaints on the XL are lack of lume and the bezel only having numerals on it, no marker at the 60 mark.