Omega Planet Ocean XL

A place to discuss other watch-brands
dotborg
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Omega Planet Ocean XL

Post by dotborg »

Hi everyone just so excited had to share with you, I finally got a new Planet ocean and have been living with it for a few days now. Cant wait to use it on holiday and test it under extreme conditions when i go diving (6m should do the trick :lol: ). I ordered it with the orange rubber strap and have the black one on order just incase the orange becomes a bit too loud!

Having lived with it for a couple of days i have started to look and notice things - as one does after the initial excitment has subsided! Mainly that the watch seems to gain 5 seconds a day so far gaining 15 seconds in 3 days; and for some reason its physical measurements do not seem to tie up with the omega specification mainly that:

The bezel measures 43mm (had me worried for a moment thought i had been duped with the smaller PO)
The watch case when measured across the back measures 44.5m and 47mm including the crown( i am only using a scale rule and eyeing it in). Where has my other 1mm gone? How can you measure a watch accurately and do these measurements fall within tolerances? 1mm in 45.5mm sounds quite inaccurate considering Omega quote to the nearest 0.5mm.

Can anyone throw any light on the subjet of the size or its time gaining. Should i take it back to have it changed/checked out? :hilfe: I know its early days and that it will settle down but i thought the co-axial movment chronometer was to be more accurate than this?

unfortunatley time is of the essence as i am on holiday this Friday and really want to take the watch with me. :-&

Thank muchly to everyone any help is appreciated. :D

Ps my wrist is only 7.87in (200mm) in diameter and the watch is perfect - maybe the extra 1mm would have been too much? :headbash: :lol: :lol: :lol:
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: Omega Planet Ocean XL

Post by El Tiempo »

These can be had pretty cheaply.

Report back with findings.
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Thanks, someone is bringing some into work for me to borrow
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

Let us know how that co-axial chronometer settles in, please...UB
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

dotborg wrote:Hi everyone just so excited had to share with you, I finally got a new Planet ocean and have been living with it for a few days now. Cant wait to use it on holiday and test it under extreme conditions when i go diving (6m should do the trick :lol: ). I ordered it with the orange rubber strap and have the black one on order just incase the orange becomes a bit too loud!
Congrats on the purchase. Lovely watches :)

Re the orange strap though. You HAVE to wear the orange strap while you're on holiday, ITS THE LAW (in every country)... You can feel free to change it to the black when you return though.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

NIce choice :) I was looking at one of these earlier in the year, but ended up going for an Ebel Discovery which also has an orange bezel.

The watch will need time to settle down, whereby I'd think you should see it keeping good time, so I wouldn't be panicking just yet!!

Get some photos up tho!!

You can't tell us you've bought a nice new watch then not put piccies up!! :roll: [-X :lol:
John
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

Sorry, my rule is that if there are no pictures, I can't believe it is true. :D
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

C.mon guys i'm Packing for me hols.....but before i put the camera in the suitcase i'll take some photos to satisfy yer cravings. :)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

dotborg wrote:C.mon guys i'm Packing for me hols.....but before i put the camera in the suitcase i'll take some photos to satisfy yer cravings. :)
:kaffee2: waiting.......
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Haven't gone yet! Will post some photos tonight together with some other recent Interesting purchases....Watch this space (excuse the intended pun :lol: )
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

Enjoy... :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Very, Very nice! Thanks for the look. Try it with the balck strap with orange stitching..it looks great with that too.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
dotborg
Junior
Junior

Post by dotborg »

I have one on order but have to wait about 3-4 weeks.....Thanks for the heads up, glad you like. :prost:
CFK-OB
Senior
Senior

Post by CFK-OB »

The co-axial movemement is not any more accurate than any other type of movement and at +5 seconds per day is within COSC specifications. Where the co-axial movement is supposed to excel is in frequency of service intervals and continued accuracy within these longer intervals. Where normal mechanical watches have expected service intervals of three to five years, a co-axial has service intervals of five to seven or eight years. But there is no difference in daily accuracy.