Old Watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Old Watch

Post by teestech »

Not sure if this is the correct place in the forum for this post, so please tell me if it needs moving.

As I'm fairly new to collecting watches, I was interested to hear from my parents that a watch belonging to my grandfather was 'in the bottom of a drawer somewhere'. My grandfather died long before I was born, in fact when my dad was only 14 (in 1961), so a watch belonging to him obviously carries some sentimental value.

Said watch was located.....a gold plated thing that was rather well rubbed through and in a bit of a state, with fixed strap bars one of which was quite bent, a very scratched crystal, no strap and generally looking a bit worse for wear. I gave it a quick wind, and to my amazement it started to tick. Unsurprisingly though, after an hour it was already several minutes out and it stopped if you tilted the watch in a particular direction, and stopped totally after a few hours.

The sentimental side though still made it interesting, so whilst getting some batteries renewed in a couple of quartz watches, I asked the local "watch man" to take a look and see if it was worth doing anything with. It turns out the rather rubbed gold plated case was in fact solid gold that just had half a century of grime over it! When he opened it up he said it looks like it's never been open, never serviced etc. The crown was badly worn hence it not taking a full wind and the movement itself was pretty dirty.

Anyway, a small fee was discussed and today I collected my newly serviced watch. A replacement crystal fitted, a new crown, a now finely tuned movement (ticking away quite loudly I might add), and with the strap bar straightened, the whole thing finished off with a good old clean! In solely monetary terms it may not have been worth doing, but to see a watch keeping good time on my wrist that was once worn by a grandfather I never met is quite something. I think my dad's quite pleased too.

I realise I've gone on a bit, and I know you like pictures here, so here's a few of my 'new' old watch!

Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Old Watch

Post by Kip »

What a great find. If you are pleased to keep this watch as a family heirloom then it was worth every penny! You have saved a small part of family history. 8)

Btw... the watch looks terrific. Any idea what movement is inside?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures of the watch. As you said, a restoration like this is not about the monetary value, but the sentimental and historical value. If we all bought watches based solely on monetary value, we'd all be wearing Casio quartz (nothing wrong with them, I own a Casio Edifice). Wear it in good health, and with pride in where it came from.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Great story, and a very nice looking watch. As others have said, the value of the piece is not in the cost of restoration, but in the connection to family, friends, and loved ones. That it works well and is attractive is a bonus. Wear it in good health.
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
hwc
Senior
Senior

Post by hwc »

Very cool. Interesting how the old watch has the same embossed circular pattern in the small sub dial that Christopher Ward uses on some of the chronos.
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

Thanks everyone, glad it was worth showing you.

hwc, the circular embossed texture on the the sub seconds dial is one of the most attractive things on the watch I feel. I guess it shows how a nice feature never really goes out of fashion if current makers are still using it.

Kip, sorry, I have no idea on the movement, and don't have the means here to open up the back, but rest assured I will find out, and will try to come back with some movement photos.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

teestech wrote: Kip, sorry, I have no idea on the movement, and don't have the means here to open up the back, but rest assured I will find out, and will try to come back with some movement photos.
No worries. It is just a natural curiosity. It would be nice for you to know, but do not risk damage if you don't know how.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A lovely watch, great story, and wonderful family heirloom. Treasure it! :thumbup:

Please put a photo in the Vintage Gallery thread. Thanks.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

Don't worry Kip, I'll wait until I'm next calling by the watch workshop and get him to open it and photograph it, so it may be a while coming, but I'll update the thread when I can.

Thanks Steve, I'll get a photo into the Vintage Gallery when I get back home tonight.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

I bet your Dad is pleased - and so hopefully will your children and grandchildren. A delightful watch and well worth restoring, whatever the cost.

Out of curiosity how large is it?
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

a great looking watch and a great story thanks for sharing it.

bernie
Bernie
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Terrific piece of family history; I am certain that watch could tell a few stories. Your 'watch man' has done a lovely job on bringing it back to health. I particularly admire the style of the face and the numerals; timeless (pardon the pun) quality.
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by teestech »

Robin - the watch is positively tiny by today's standards, which adds to the charm quite a bit I think. The case is around 30mm in diameter, and about 35mm top to bottom including the strap bars.

bernie/theaub - thanks for very kind comments. Should I give a shameful plug to the until now nameless 'watch man'? The work was done by Billy @ Clockworks in Hartlepool. Not too far from me, and a friend of a friend, so I've always heard good things about his work.

Out of interest, how long would an old manual like this be expected to run on a single wind? It's still keeping remarkably good time and going strong a good 29 hours after collecting it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Power reserves vary enormously. 30-36 hours is usually par for the course.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

A really great looking watch. Congratulations on your 'new' timepiece and thanks for the words and pictures.