A place to discuss other watch-brands
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

oh dear I am now looking at another watch

Post by markuk »

But not CW..

I have already put my Sinn Navigator Purchase on hold. I just can't quite fully come to terms to buy a £2k watch.. it's the northener in me.. :lol:

Since buying a few CW watches I have realised that Watch purchase it a very personal thing and unless your a dealer and know alot about them then their value is almost of no interest, only personal choice..

BUT I have now started to have an interest in Omega Seamasters from the 50's and 60's

a very eligant watch

esp in different formats

any one else know about seamasters or own one or two..
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: oh dear I am now looking at another watch

Post by atnits »

I love mine. So light you can hardly tell it's there. The perfect dress watch for me. And not expensive either.

markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

arrr that's the one..

My only issue is learning what is correct and what is not..

As there does seam to be alot of fakes about.. even on an old watch like this..

When i say fake I mean more tampered with..

Incorrect hands, Faces, Workings and Over polished watches..

with Watches from Hot country's often having corrosion damage on them /in them though humid conditions.

So how do you buy the genuine artical?? where do you learn?

I agree a nice seamaster can be bought for under £500 and will hold it's own for years to come. I have seen one on the dreaded Ebay with a dealer in the UK but he is top money and also the back of the watch is plane and not got the Omega detailing I have seen on so many watches.. but he does have the stamps for Omega on the back of it.. ( watch workings side )

I am interested in collecting Seamasters to be honest.. 2-3 to hold on to for future.. My Dad has one he has had from new.. he wore it for 30 years never been serviced and he always lost 2 mins day.. with it. He has said I can have it.. first thing is to service it.. best £150 spent I think after 30 years..

so do you know of any reputable sellers?
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I bought mine from my local watch dealer, whom I trust and who knows his stuff. You could browse on TZ - probably a safer bet than ebay. Or perhaps others on here know of some reputable dealers.
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

that's worth knowing I will have to look out for one.. The trouble is it's so easy to buy a Biza watch..
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

this being the first one i have my eye on for design

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

That looks nice, not sure how original it is; looks relumed with new hands - never seen a day date version like that before but i presume they were made.

Its strange, i too have been pulled towards vintage lately, such is my wondering mind. In particular a good condition dynamic or maybe an odd shaped speedmaster:

best to buy from a UK dealer for me, lots of choice in London if you know where to look and most are serviced.
More research is needed i feel so if anyone has any tips on buying vintage then i would be grateful.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Dancematt wrote: Image
I have been after one of these for some time myself. I am just not willing to pay the prices they are going for. Even the project ones are expensive.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

the one in my photo was just to show the design with black face..

I am not bothered about day / date but more about making sure I got the correct watch..

so if any one has details of finding a black faced seamaster that is genuine and not messed about with them please do point me in the right direction..

8)
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

markuk wrote:this being the first one i have my eye on for design

Be VERY carefull when buying vintage Omega's!!

The one in the picture is almost certainly a redial, ie, repainted and relumed hour batons, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but much better to go for something original and unmolested. Something I learned was that a very high percentage of pre 70's watches with black dials have been repainted, so unless it's got some nice age related patina, probably best to avoid!!

Stay clear of any 'Mumbai specials' from India on Ebay too.........all repainted dials, and not usually done very well and usually with quite corroded cases and movements that have seen better days!! :shock:

The other thing to bear in mind, is that you will more than likely pay over the odds for a fairly basic 50's/60's Seamaster, as the prices are very high.............one of the reasons I like Tissots from the same period, pretty much the same quality (they were merged Co's) much more affordable and way less messed about with examples out there!!

If you want any more help, just give me a shout :D
John
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

Yes please..

I have been looking to learn about these watches the black face is what I am interested in as in the picture. I am not bothered about a repainted or touched up dial but to be honest as it's not open to the eliments I am not sure why it would need to be painted.. but hands important as with workings.. and not too polished either

Budget is £500 ish

does that sound ok? or am I way off the mark?

ones I have been watching

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Omega ... 415c145d06

more this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-Seamast ... 3369b99544

but concerned about the back case of it??

and this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

I've had a good look through all of those watches you listed, and to be honest, I have my suspicions on all of them!!

The one you like, with the military type dial, I found listed by another seller after a quick search, at the same price, and using the same photo's. I also know this seller sells watches that have had their dials "refinished"......there's even a watch on there listed as being 60's, but which is actually 50's, but is using a font on the dial from the 70's :shock:

I actually queried another one like this recently with him, but strangely didn't hear back :wink:

The movement on that watch, an Omega cal 601 http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... &Omega_601
is a nice movement, and looks clean, and dates to 1970. I have the same mov't in my '67 Omega Geneve.

I hang out a fair bit on a vintage forum, and there are guys on there, inc Dr Ranfft, from the link above, who can spot a redial a million miles away......that's where I got my info on pre 70's black dials!!

It's your money, but I personally wouldn't be spending 500 notes on a Seamaster.........especially if it's been "refinished". I think you can get some much more interesting, less common, and very nice vintage watches for that sort of money!!
John
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

perfect thanks..

as i said it's a mine field on these watches to a freind of mine. So I am happy to learn about them and try and buy a nice classic to keep. I know for sure my old mans is genuine has he has had it from new so I can at least use it as a bench mark.

What forum is best to be on to start to learn all about these remade watches.. I am keen to learn thanks in advance.. :D
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Monkey »

I go on here quite a lot http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/

I've learned a lot from the guys on there over the last few years. A lot of 'noobs' post up asking about this watch or that, and they're always hepfull.

Some of the other forums on WUS have got a bit of a reputation for being a tad over moderated, but the vintage forum is fine, and I've got several guys in there I converse with regularly and are always ready to help :)

Post some of those watches you put up earlier in there and see what response you get?!!
John
markuk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by markuk »

arrr I am already a member :lol:

this was a guy on there selling a Sinn Navitimer for about £1100 and I was tempted but didn't know who it was and anything about him to start sending off £1100 to some where in Spain..

I will look about more thanks alot.