[First Impressions] Obris Morgan Explorer

A place to discuss other watch-brands
spacebrother
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

[First Impressions] Obris Morgan Explorer

Post by spacebrother »

So, I see a few of us have managed to get our hands on the latest offering from OM, so I thought I might share my thoughts on the watch now I have mine.

And here's a wrist shot (My wrist is 7.75" I think):

Here are some details:

Automatic Calibre : Miyota 9015
Material : SUS316L Stainless Steel
Frequency : 28,800 bph (beats per hour)
Accuracy : +/- 10 sec/day
Dial : SuperLuminova Lumed (C1) indices
Hands
Hour : 2 Face blasted Skeleton hand fill superluminova lume (C1)
Minute : 2 Face blasted Skeleton hand fill superluminova lume (C1)
Second : blasted Skeleton hand fill superluminova lume (C1)
Case : 316L Stainless Steel- Brush - Blasted - DLC Black Coating
Bezel : 120 Clicks uni-directional bezel
Movement holder : 316L Stainless Steel
Dimensions : 42mm diameter, 12mm thickness include Case Back, 10mm thickness without Case Back
Lug to Lug width : 51mm
Automatic Helium Escape Velve (Operate on 4 atm pressure inside)
Lug width : 20mm
Lug to Lug width : 51mm
Crown : Stainless Steel - Brush Finishing
Water Resistance: 20 ATM / 200 meters
Case back: Solid 316L Stainless Steel
Crystal : 2.4mm thickness Sapphire(Single side anti-reflective coated)
Net Weight with Bracelet : 214g

I received my OM from BensonTrade, although they got my order mixed up and sent me the black version instead of the blue. No matter, Leon apologised profusely and offered to send me a strap of my choice to make up for it (as I didn't want to wait the 3-4 weeks until they get the blue back in stock). Overall the ordering process from BensonTrade was pretty seamless, and Leon was fairly responsive to my e-mails, so I can definitely say they are a reliable dealer.

On to the watch, at first impression, it seems like OM tried to put everything into this watch:

- 120 click bezel
- Sword hands filled with lume
- Triangle, double lines AND syringe hour markers
- Sapphire glass
- Helium Escape Valve (although this is a bit redundant on a 200m WR watch)
- Solid end links and solid strap links
- Rubber strap
- Signed clasp and crown

It's a lot of watch for the money. Inside the stainless steel body ticks a venerable Miyota 9015, with it's 28,800 bhp, capable of matching the ETA 2824-2 of my Apollon. Just by visual inspection I am not able to distinguish between the sweep of both movements, both are smooth and so far, both have been keeping good time.

I did a bit of digging around for Obris Morgan, and found that in the earlier days they used to make homage or odds and sods watches, although some, such as the "Kaufmann" stood out above others (not my pic):

I believe they first marketed themselves similar to the way that Deutsche Master have done, buying up a plausible story about German heritage whilst skillfully avoiding anything in their history which requires them to provide certification proving their authenticity. In any case, in recent years OM have departed from their Seagull core and embarked on a new journey with the help of Miyota, producing their own minimalistic designs in the Branco and the Nevon and scoring very highly with popular watch review sites like Worn and Wound.

But I digress, there are hundreds of things that is good about the Explorer, but in particular I liked:

- The 120 click bezel is light but firm, it doesn't take a lot to twist it, and once set it stays in place, it certainly has a lighter touch to the Orient Ray.
- The 5 link strap hasn't pulled any arm hairs out so far, and it feels nice and weighty, giving a much more premium feel to the watch
- The crown (once de-gritted) is no-nonsense, and like the strap, fits in very well with the "tool watch" concept. It has been properly machined and the logo fits in well with the shape of the crown.

- The back of the case is quite tastefully done, once again, the round logo that OM has chosen to take now fits in well with the general shapes on the watch:

Also let's look at where they could have improved:

- Firstly, there was a lot of grit on the watch, the crown was practically caked in the stuff and I had to flush it out with a toothpick. Likewise, screwing the crown down felt "rough" and I had to apply a good dose of silicone lubricant in order to make it smoother.
- Some people are bothered that there is a 0.5mm gap between the crown and the body when it's screwed down, but personally to me it's almost invisible.
- The lume is almost non-existent (My Apollon has better lume)
- There is no date, this is perhaps my biggest peeve, and magnified a bit by knowing that the Miyota 9015 actually has a date wheel (hence now the 1st position in the crown is redundant). OM could have added a date without detracting from the look of the watch, but I presume that will require further customisation of the date wheel (as the stock is white I think) and thus up the price.
- The clasp requires you to actually pinch it to close, which is I suspect a fault in the design. Hopefully with repeated use this should get better.

Lastly, the pelican case that it comes with makes a very nice case for my watches and also my phone:

Own:
Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi | CW C60 | Tissot V8 | Steinhart Apollon | Casio G-Shock 7900 Baywatch Red |
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: [First Impressions] Obris Morgan Explorer

Post by Richard B »

Very nice looking piece. A little more subtle than the Boschett Harpoon, and a good mix of tough diver with a bit of smooth minimalism.

Good choice - enjoy! And thanks for the nicely balanced review, it made good reading.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
Lego
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lego »

The watch looks fantastic. I like the minimalistic look.

This is a brand I know nothing about but have seen the name a few times.
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by castle »

I agree about the date- something subtle like the Steinhart at 6 would have made me seriously consider buying the OM.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by james80 »

I looked at this watch a lot especially as it comes in a pvd version. However I can't get past the upside down 30 (or right way up depending on your perspective) on the bezel.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Not a watch that I am visually attracted to......but if I was, your review would sway me.

Well done!! :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

The lack of a date means I probably will never own one. Otherwise, it's a pretty great looking watch.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
spacebrother
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by spacebrother »

I forgot to mention the upside down thirty. It doesn't really bother me, in fact, Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms did the same, so nothing really new here.

I think they didn't want to go with a diver watch, hence this modification, the lack of shoulders for the crown and no dot hour markets.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Own:
Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi | CW C60 | Tissot V8 | Steinhart Apollon | Casio G-Shock 7900 Baywatch Red |
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Great review ,I like the look of the watch its got a great diver/minimalistic look .
Its a watch I would certainly think about purchasing . Thanks for sharing .
Bernie
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

Thank you for an interesting review: a maker of whom I had not heard.
Steve
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I've got the Titanium OM Branco, which I really quite like, its different and distinctive, and this Explorer is currently top of my wish list; hoping to get one in time for Christmas.

I like the simplicity / chunkiness of the design and the slightly '1990's Space' theme to the font of the numbers / letters.

The 'upside down' 30 doesn't bother me; separates it from the norm. Also 'no date' is not an issue; after all a basic Rolex sub has no date (doesn't it?).

Good review as well spacebrother, many thnaks. Any chance of a few more pics?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

bspj wrote:Thank you for an interesting review: a maker of whom I had not heard.
Quick link;- http://www.obrismorgan.com/

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

This is such a great looking watch for the money, it looks fantastic in blue and the no date only enhances its design imo. Lack of a powerful lume unfortunatelyt seems to be a good way of saving money in a watch (just look at CW or Hamilton). I would buy one of these and not worry at all about knocking it about.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

I have to admit that I'd given a good look at the Explorer in blue actually but was eventually slightly more sold on the blue C60.
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
sdb123
Senior
Senior

Post by sdb123 »

I'm wearing my Explorer now....I don't need to pinch the bracelet clasp to get it to close, it works as it should. :)