Nomos Zurich Weltzeit - Pictures

A place to discuss other watch-brands
downer
CW-watches: 4

Nomos Zurich Weltzeit - Pictures

Post by downer »

In my continuing quest to re-balance my collection in favour of physically smaller watches, I have taken another step with the acquisition of this Nomos, which measures a very precise 39.8mm x 10.85mm. This one has been on my radar for a long time and the recent introduction of the blue version moved it from a maybe to a definite.

For me, apart from the rightness of the size of this watch, the other attractions are a) the GMT functionality - and it's novel implementation, b) the nice mix between the classic lines of the case and the modern twists in the dial detail, and c) the Nomos value/quality proposition.

I purchased the watch directly from Blome Uhren in Dusseldorf, which was an enjoyable experience - knowledgeable staff, a relaxed atmosphere and a keen deal. :D

My initial impressions are very positive - the strap is comfortable out of the box and the watch is nicely finished. Timekeeping seems just about spot on, and the dial is very legible.

I have noticed that blue watches are often difficult to capture in pictures, and this one is no exception. In most lights, the blue colour is quite muted, but it does alter a lot - depending on reflections etc.

So, here are some pictures - of varying quality:

And, in case anyone was wondering about the little box...

And finally, with my current watch of the day...

Apologies for so many pictures, :D
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Nomos Zurich Weltzeit - Pictures

Post by Kip »

Spectacular as always Richard and exceptional photos!!

It doesn't bother me, but I am a bit surprised that the date wheel doesn't put you off a bit.

How about telling us a bit more about that carriage clock?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Such magnificent photos and I am going to say I dont like the watch just because being crazily jealous.
Incoming: 0
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

That really is an utterly superb little buy and the Zurich isn't too bad either :lol: . Personally feel the standard Zurich is the least Nomosy Nomos but this pulls that back and has some lovely character. Your studio photos are excellent.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
downer

Post by downer »

Kip wrote:Spectacular as always Richard and exceptional photos!!

It doesn't bother me, but I am a bit surprised that the date wheel doesn't put you off a bit.

How about telling us a bit more about that carriage clock?
The date wheel is not a date wheel... it's the home time indicator (hence the little red 'house' icon). :) However, I take your point - I have complained about open date wheels (altimeter style) and this is not really different. However, on this watch I see it as quirky, rather than irritating. :D

The carriage clock is something I was given a couple of years ago, and I've never done anything with. It has a broken mainspring, but I guess it could be easily fixed. I have a few more pictures of it, so I will make a new thread one of these days.
Richard
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

That's a thing of beauty. I love the house, how does the pusher work when advancing the time?
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
downer

Post by downer »

jtc wrote:That's a thing of beauty. I love the house, how does the pusher work when advancing the time?
Thanks. Pressing the pusher moves city ring forwards and advances the hour hand by one hour. The downside is when you want to go backwards one hour, it is necessary to click that clicker 23 times. Fortunately, there is no date function to confuse the issue.

The home time zone is controlled by an indented pusher on the LH case side, but once set, I doubt this will be changed very often - provided that the watch does not stop.
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

The more that I look at your new watch, the more intriguing I find it.

It's a great hue of blue and that dial is just so interesting.

Love it!

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Stunning, just stunning.

The first Nomos that I "get" and would actually purchase myself.

Is it a worldtimer, or an independently adjustable GMT? I am trying to fathom out the City chapter ring. Does this rotate, as in the Ball, or is it static? I assume that the pusher advances either it or the GMT display?

Either way, a tremendous purchase and a worthy addition to the box!
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

downer wrote:So, here are some pictures - of varying quality
I can only see the great quality ones! :clap:
downer wrote:Apologies for so many pictures, :D
Don't apologise, you know how we all love pictures, especially of such a great piece as this.

I agree with scooter, lovely lovely dial. I particularly like the way the various subdials and cutout windows make for slightly unusual shapes within the circle of the main dial. Very interesting to look at, without appearing too busy.

As you say Richard, the lack of a date indicator here is a real bonus, as not only would it clutter the dial, but it'd be a big issue to keep right when pushing through the various timezones.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
downer

Post by downer »

smegwina wrote:Stunning, just stunning.

The first Nomos that I "get" and would actually purchase myself.

Is it a worldtimer, or an independently adjustable GMT? I am trying to fathom out the City chapter ring. Does this rotate, as in the Ball, or is it static? I assume that the pusher advances either it or the GMT display?

Either way, a tremendous purchase and a worthy addition to the box!
It's not a worldtimer - despite its name. The city at 12 shows the current time zone, and it is static. The home time disc rotates in line with the main hands.

So, when moving to a new time zone, click until your city is at 12, and that's it.
Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

Wow Richard... I was thinking this was my favourite Nomos and after seeing your pics I am sure of it!

Fits great into your collection as well, congrats. I always thought your collection needed a precious metal dress watch but seeing as that would cost the same amount as the Nomos and Geophysic i take it back.
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
downer

Post by downer »

scooter wrote:The more that I look at your new watch, the more intriguing I find it.

It's a great hue of blue and that dial is just so interesting.

Love it!

scooter
Thanks scooter. I would say the most accurate representation of the blue is in the photo below. This is how it looks when there is no bright light shining directly into the dial:

Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I remember trying the white version on at SQP the year before last. That was impressive to say the least, but I think the blue one is just absolutely stunning. In my opinion the best looking watch in your collection, Richard. Just a fantastic acquisition – congratulations!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I remember trying the white version on at SQP the year before last. That was impressive to say the least, but I think the blue one is just absolutely stunning. In my opinion the best looking watch in your collection, Richard. Just a fantastic acquisition – congratulations!
Thanks. Whether or not it is the best looker in my box is a matter of opinion, but I am very happy with it - that's for sure.

I would have expected you to prefer the original version of this model - the city ring was in German, rather than English and the word "Heimat" was used instead of the little red house icon.

Richard