NOMOS TANGO & Longines Flagship Herit vs C1 Grand Malvern

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Oseberg
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

NOMOS TANGO & Longines Flagship Herit vs C1 Grand Malvern

Post by Oseberg »

The C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve won the watches of the year 2016 award and CW proudly introduces it as a new benchmark in the "affordable- highish end dress watch" category. It sure is a good looking, clean watch , and I have always been very attracted by power reserve meters, a useful complication.

But, at € 1 975, it gets close to timepieces such as the Nomos Tangomat (€ 2260), a very strong contender in the stylish watch segment coming from an established Glashütte watchmaker. And you have the super elegant Longines Flagship Heritage at a comparatively modest € 1 410.

I quite like my C60 Trident GMT bought with 30 % discount at € 780, it's good value for money. But would I put € 2k for a CW dress watch, when you can get a cool one from an iconic brand 25 % cheaper, no I would not.

I don't think CW already has legitimacy at this price point. In 5 to 10 years, may be, provided they carefully manage the logo graphics

What is your view ?
Chr Ward Trident C60 GMT600
Rolex Explorer 214270
Nomos Tangente affichage réserve de marche
Seiko 5 B-Uhr
Rotary Ocean Avenger
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: NOMOS TANGO & Longines Flagship Herit vs C1 Grand Malver

Post by Kip »

Interesting logic and I am not arguing your personal preferences, but with the watches mentioned you are not comparing apples to apples.

All fine watches and any one would be an excellent choice, but there are many different features and specs in this group.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Why would an established English maker not be able to compete with an established German maker founded 15 yrs before?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Oseberg
Junior
Junior

Post by Oseberg »

smegwina wrote:Why would an established English maker not be able to compete with an established German maker founded 15 yrs before?

. Well, would you spend 2 k€ of your hard earned cash in a C1 ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Chr Ward Trident C60 GMT600
Rolex Explorer 214270
Nomos Tangente affichage réserve de marche
Seiko 5 B-Uhr
Rotary Ocean Avenger
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I don't like any of the dress watches you mention so wouldn't buy any of them at half the RRP but I would still struggle to spend £2k on a CWL as I know I would experience a pang of regret when it inevitably appeared in a sale some time in the future. A good example of this is the mono pusher that really did impress me when it came out and for which, if I had been pecuniarily able, I would probably have paid full price. Watching that piece appear in subsequent sales has firmed my resolve to be less inclined to buy at full price.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Oseberg wrote:
smegwina wrote:Why would an established English maker not be able to compete with an established German maker founded 15 yrs before?

. Well, would you spend 2 k€ of your hard earned cash in a C1 ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
If it was in a 43/44mm case, I certainly would! The brand heritage really has little weight in my decision.

(I would also dispute the notion that Nomos has a vastly superior heritage when compared to CW)

I would have high quality combined with cutting edge technology just as readily as Heritage

Indeed, one or two on here have accused me of being a fan of another English watch manufacturer started at the same time as CW, but a tad more expensive.

gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i would never buy any CW at RRP/MSRP. we all know they go on sale for 15-30% off. and if you take 30% off, it's suddenly about the same price as that longines.
the "g" is for Greg...
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

gwells wrote:i would never buy any CW at RRP/MSRP. we all know they go on sale for 15-30% off. and if you take 30% off, it's suddenly about the same price as that longines.
Absolutely, my comments are simply based on the question of whether I would pay a couple of grand for a CW, and I would.

I would also never pay full price for a CW simply because of the sheer volume of sales. Despite this, I do however think that the full price is reasonable for the quality of the watch.

It is similar to Ball. They are worth the full RRP, but I would never pay it, simply due to the number of sales that they have.