'New' old watch concern

A place to discuss other watch-brands
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

'New' old watch concern

Post by SlowLoris »

Hi all,
I'm looking at a watch on eBay which was bought in 2002 and, if the seller is to be believed, has never been worn. It even has the plastic protector film on the watch face so, for all intents and purposes it is new. My question is, might there be a problem with the movement (automatic) if the watch has been idle for this long? Thanks in advance.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: 'New' old watch concern

Post by JAFO »

Is it sold "no return"?
Can it be wound to check the accuracy of the movement. Can the seller advise?
Maybe the price is low enough to allow you to factor in a service of some sort.

I have bought new old stock from Jomashop and so on, but I doubt they would be more than 4 or 5 years old if that. I have never had an issue with them not running properly.
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:38 pm Is it sold "no return"?
Can it be wound to check the accuracy of the movement. Can the seller advise?
Maybe the price is low enough to allow you to factor in a service of some sort.

I have bought new old stock from Jomashop and so on, but I doubt they would be more than 4 or 5 years old if that. I have never had an issue with them not running properly.
Thanks for your reply. It is 'no return' and I have sent him a message asking about its time keeping.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I start at the position of trusting nothing that’s sold on fleabay. This one does nothing to change that view.
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 pm I start at the position of trusting nothing that’s sold on fleabay. This one does nothing to change that view.
Right but does not using a watch for nearly 20 years cause a problem with the efficiency of the movement?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

At 20 years old I would 100% factor in an immediate service before wearing the watch.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

Viognier wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:42 pm At 20 years old I would 100% factor in an immediate service before wearing the watch.
Sure but *why*?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:42 pm
Viognier wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:42 pm At 20 years old I would 100% factor in an immediate service before wearing the watch.
Sure but *why*?
The lubricant oils will have either dried up or become gummy and will cause unnecessary wear/damage.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I don’t think there’s a watch oil out there that is meant to last near that long, whether in use or not. As I understand it, the more modern oils don’t “gum up” like they used to, but they will dry out and increase friction in the movement. With a watch this age that appears to have never had a service, I’d just assume it’ll need a service as soon as received and factor that into the cost of buying it.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

After 20 years the lubricating oils in the movement will be dried out. As I understand it, cleaning components and reapplying lubricant oils are the mainstay of a basic service. Loss of lubricant can cause increased friction in specific parts of the movement thus affecting timekeeping.

Edit : pretty much said the same as the above post! :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

Thank you folks. Now I understand. I don't think I'll bother with buying it now though as the expense isn't really worth it.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm Thank you folks. Now I understand. I don't think I'll bother with buying it now though as the expense isn't really worth it.
Might you share the brand? Perhaps you can make educated and articulated eBay offer to the seller explaining and factoring in the price of a service?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Just a little more info for the thread: It is my understanding (from frequent discussions from my watchmaker) modern synthetic oils don't dry up. They evaporate over time. This has the effect of whether or not a watch is used is irrelevant. The lubricant stays pretty stable while it is there. Once evaporated it is pretty much gone. Old lubricants used to dry into a paste or varnish. The residue could cause additional wear to the movement if used in this state. A watch used with no lubrication over time will damage components but it is a pretty long process. However, it will have a tough time keeping time. It is very difficult for the balance spring to maintain a good consistent amplitude with no lubrication.

So, short of it, whether it was worn or not a service would be in order.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 pm I start at the position of trusting nothing that’s sold on fleabay. This one does nothing to change that view.
This is the problem. Often you get half answers when you ask questions. The Urban Gentry did a very favourable review of a new eBay "Authenticity Guarantee" service. Unfortunately its not available outside the US yet. I have bought three expensive (>£500) and a few less expensive watches on ebay, and not had any problems. (I hope!)

I started this thread about the Authenticity Guarantee. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55909
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks Jafo. Interesting to see this. Whilst there will be some genuine sellers and products on flea bay, it’s going to take a significant and sustained shift in seller behaviour and platform moderation before it is seen any differently by many