New Kemmner Arrival

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

New Kemmner Arrival

Post by gaf1958 »

In addition to the black Kemmner Tonneau that arrived just over a week ago, I ordered a red dial version, which arrived today. They are quite different in appearance, despite sharing everything but the dial colour.

The original black that I bought has a radiant dial, but it's quite subtle and mostly appears to be a glossy black. It came with a black leather strap with deployant clasp, but I swapped that for a tan leather, which looked good, but I currently have it on a golden-brown Hirsch Rally strap, which gives it quite a different look.

The red on the other hand is an obviously radiant dial, with the vibrant colour flashes where it catches the light. It's probably a slight lighter red than I was expecting, but nice nonetheless. I put it on a Hirsch Grand Duke in black with red stitching, but the stitching was a more vibrant/brighter red than the dial, so I tried it on a couple of other straps and settled on the tan one that I had originally put on the black one (it's a reddish tan) before swapping it to the golden-brown Hirsch. I've worn it that way most of the day, but I've just swapped it onto something different - a 5mm thick black Obris Morgan strap with cream stitching. It's 22mm all the way to the buckle and 5mm thick the entire length. The strap is very soft and supple for a thick strap and I rather like the look.

Anyway, Here are the pics of the red dial on the first two straps, along with one of the black dial on the tan strap. I'll post some shots of the current configuration of both when I have a chance.

And the black:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
barry72
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: New Kemmner Arrival

Post by barry72 »

^stunning, but very ...

Was it a custom job? Does he make a blue dial in this?
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Kemmner is one of the brands always on my radar, but yet to pull trigger on one. Liking the burgundy dial, a lot.
Incoming: 0
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Here's the comparison shots with both watches on their current (for now) straps...

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

barry72 wrote:Was it a custom job? Does he make a blue dial in this?
Only black, white and red as far as I know.... The red is apparently a recent introduction. The white is really more of a silver from what I've read.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Very interesting how the different straps totally changes the look of the watches Gary ;)
I think the last combos work best too.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Ahem, according to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... %E2%80%93Z

I think the appropriate colour description for the dial is either:

"tyrian purple":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_pur ... ian_purple

or

"wine dregs" (I kid you not!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(color)#Wine_dregs

or

"maroon (X11):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_(color)

:lol:

It's not really red, assuming the colour is being reproduced accurately on my monitor.

I think it would look best on a classy all-black strap without contrast stitching. Something like your black croc grain without the red thread.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Great stuff. Great color on that dial too. Enjoy them both!
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

asqwerth wrote:"wine dregs" (I kid you not!)
I think it would look best on a classy all-black strap without contrast stitching. Something like your black croc grain without the red.
Wine dregs eh? I like that. ;) It is actually described as wine red by Roland Kemmner.

It arrived on an all black croc with butterfly clasp. I found it looked a bit blahhhh, so the contrast stitching will stay for the moment, at least until something better pops up :)
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
r.palace

Post by r.palace »

gaf1958 wrote:
barry72 wrote:Was it a custom job? Does he make a blue dial in this?
Only black, white and red as far as I know.... The red is apparently a recent introduction. The white is really more of a silver from what I've read.
Beautiful piece, Gary. Congrats.

I had the black Tonneau but felt it was too dressy for what I was looking for at the time so I ordered the white Tonneau which Roland assured me was not the "silver white" he released a few years back. Indeed it is white, which is exaclt what I was looking for. The wine red looks sharp as well, but according to Roland he will be releasing some blue Tonneaus next year.

I sure hope so, I've never been able to find a picture of one but supposedly they were released at one point.

Any way, here's my white Tonneau which I'm totally in love with.

asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

gaf1958 wrote:
asqwerth wrote:"wine dregs" (I kid you not!)
I think it would look best on a classy all-black strap without contrast stitching. Something like your black croc grain without the red.
Wine dregs eh? I like that. ;) It is actually described as wine red by Roland Kemmner.

It arrived on an all black croc with butterfly clasp. I found it looked a bit blahhhh, so the contrast stitching will stay for the moment, at least until something better pops up :)
Part of the reason I went into detail for the colour description is that I felt the red thread on your strap didn't go with the dial because their colours weren't really matching shades. The red stitching is more a bright chili red while the dial's colour has a sort of purpley base to it.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

asqwerth wrote:Part of the reason I went into detail for the colour description is that I felt the red thread on your strap didn't go with the dial because their colours weren't really matching shades. The red stitching is more a bright chili red while the dial's colour has a sort of purpley base to it.
Yes, that's why it didn't last for long on the black & red Hirsch. I tried the reddish tan which went well but I thought it was a bit too much.... You're right, there is a faint tinge of purplish hue in the red, much as you might get in a red wine...
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

r.palace wrote:... so I ordered the white Tonneau which Roland assured me was not the "silver white" he released a few years back. Indeed it is white, which is exactly what I was looking for. The wine red looks sharp as well, but according to Roland he will be releasing some blue Tonneaus next year.
I didn't realise the new ones were pure white, I was tossing up between white and black, but all the photos I found showed silver... The pure white may have won out, but I must say I'm now happy with the black having seen it. I like the black hands & hour markers on the white one :)

Blue could be very interesting, I'll wait to see whatever shade it comes out in.... Cheers...
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier