Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Manual wind 2 registers aviator style chronograph

Post by Aifo »

Hello all, I am in the middle of a treasure hunt for the subject watch. Always been fascinated by a mechanical chronograph movement, and due to cost constraints (as always) I am mainly looking for either a Poljot 3133 or a Sea-gull ST-19. Also in order to droll in awe an exhibition caseback is a must. Considering the less expensive nature of both movements I will expect a decent (if not superb) decorated movement instead of stock.

Obviously one should look for a Sea-gull ST-19 movement in a Sea-gull chrono (pls excuse the garbage talk) but there is nothing I fancy from the existing collection. The closest my cup of tea one I can find for the time being is this

PRECISTA PRS-5

It's a well known watch so probably no need further introduction, however what I like about is the overly military style case (bead blasted) and reasonable size. Also from the general comments on Precistas I know I will be getting a lot of watch from the buck spent.

As to the 3133 movement, and if I may repeat my garbage talk, one should probably look for a Poljot in a Poljot.... and again, nothing from the existing Poljot lineup float my boat so I have looked elsewhere. My recent acquisition of a Junker lead me to the brand and I found two with the 3133 which I really like:

1) 6110-5 - SERIES SPITZBERGEN F13

2) 6616-1 - SERIES IRON ANNIE JU52

both are similar priced (and costlier than the PRS), F13 comes with a fully luminous dial while the JU25 carries a signature "Corrugated Sheet" dial. In terms of the push buttons and crown I prefer the F13 (A handwind needs a bigger crown is common sense right?)

I like all of the above, but I am going to take it slowly with this purchase and enjoy the hunt (and since I have another 20+ watches to rotate now.....). I have also covered Strela, CWC, O&J, and some other makes with either Valjoux 7733 or Lemania 3872 (which are quite expensive albeit vintage). Again, not quite the style/details I fancy and not an enthusiast on vintage (due to my lack of watch care knowledge).

I am pretty sure you have probably gone down the same hunt before, so would be very much appreciate any tips or opinions for discussion sake. For reference I consider the Longines Master L2.629.4.78.3 my muse in this category.

Incoming: 0
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Re: Manual wind 2 registers aviator style chronograph

Post by Uncle Bill »

Just to add my fourpenny-worth - I've had a PRS-5 for some time and my purchase was based on it having a column-wheel movement, now only seen on very expensive other makes. With the observation back, it is a treat to see the column wheel operating; something different... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I've got a PRS 5 as well :oops: and I really rate it. Get one, you won't regret it.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Precista is also the best looker IMO...apart from the Longines! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

also look at the seagull 1963 chinese air force chrono:

I went for the PRS-5 too, mainly for the easier delivery within the UK

I miss all the great things that may never be.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

The dial & hands on the Precista are quite handsome but the case is just 'orrible! :(
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes

Post by Mortis »

I think I prefer the PRS-5 out of my two...
:D
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I miss all the great things that may never be.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Aifo, you must have good taste. The Longines Master and Stowa 1938 are my 'flag-bearers' for 2 register chronos. Of the watches you posted I would go for the PRS-5 (and I've considered one myself). I'd also look at the Seagull 1963.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

The PRS is good value, no doubt about that. Personally, I'm not mad about the asymmetric case.
Richard
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

The Ollech & Wajs is about double the price of the PRS, I think, but has a more symmetrical case:

C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Thank you very much everyone! So the PRS-5 is favored for the column wheel as it seems. And from what I read push buttons are smoother in the ST-19 than the 3133 too. I will look around for a bit longer and who knows I may even savage enough coins for the Longines Master (apparently I can achieve that in 6 months saving a tenner a day, and sooner if I start flipping some watches). :lol:
Incoming: 0