Lum Tec.... Big thumbs up from me.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Hi everyone,,,
For quite a while ive been looking at Lum-Tec watches. I didnt know a lot about them except they're a newish American company. I really liked the look of them. A kind of Panerai'ish look to them but without the £4k+ price to pay.
Last weekend, after looking at their website a few times i decided to take the plunge and buy one so on Sunday evening i put my order in for a quartz M45. I wanted to order from the Europe site but their stock was limited so i ordered straight from the USA.I paid my $495 /£315 and paid the cheapest delivery/post option. I really wanted the Tungstun auto but thought id gage the quality with the cheaper quartz to start. My order was placed at about 8pm on Sunday.
On Monday i had an email from them saying they have my order and are processing it and dispaching soon. I was pleased to hear from them and was then expecting the usual 1 - 2 weeks for delivery. HOW WRONG CAN I BE.......
On Wednesday i got home at 10.30pm after a 2-10 shift and there was a card from Fedex saying a parcel has been left next door.... Im thinking what the hell is that,,, its way to soon for the Lum-Tec. I looked next door and saw there were lights on so i gave them a knock. They gave me the parcel,,, i run back home, grab a scissors and open it.... Holy cow,, its the Lum-Tec..... How the hell did it get here from the US so soon. I checked the packaging and it definately came from the US and i was really surprised i didnt have to pay import tax and duty. I really didnt think anything could arrive so quickly and the next day i emailed Lum-Tec to thank them. Within 1/2 an hour i had an email from their General Manager Bes Luga thanking me for emailing. A little later an email arrived from Chris Wiegand,, Lum-Tecs President and owner from his I Phone. How good is that. I was really pleased with the watch and personal touches like that make you appreciate it even more.
Heres a few pics of the watch
It came with 3 straps. 1 leather 1 rubber and a stainless steel bracelet. I sized and fitted the SS but prefered a leather strap for this watch The supplied leather strap was fine but a bit to light in colour for me so i fitted another strap i have here.
ImageImageImage
Hope you like the watch,,, Heres the Tungsten im definately getting very soon.
PS..... Ive managed to collect 4 watches in 2 weeks,,, damned good going i think. Excuse the Tissot V8. Thats going to be a work watch for when i give the G-Shock a rest.
Heres the 4
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Re: Lum Tec.... Big thumbs up from me.

Post by Mr Rick »

Congratulations. Lum-Tec has a loyal following here stateside. I'm sure you will enjoy yours. :)
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Thanks Rick, Im enjoying the watch and waiting to get the Tungsten very soon.
Chris.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Sorry tp p@ss on your chips but Fed-Ex usually process all VAT/Imports about 2-3 weeks AFTER delivery, keep an eye out for that envelope :shock:

A few years ago I spent six months getting all the paperwork to wipe a claim for a replacement that was for a genuinely faulty item that had been returned to the States already!

Fed-Ex's response was "Just pay it and claim it back from HMRC" they couldn't accept that by me doing that meant I'd pay their £15 handling fee, exactly what I wanted to avoid as once paid they (Fed-Ex) don't refund, ever.

rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Thanks for letting me know Rob. I didnt know Fedex work that way. I somehow thought it worked the other way around. They contact you first to pay the tax/duty before delivering. Oh well,,, looks like ive the envelope to look forward to haha
Chris.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Great pick-up there Chris. Notwithstanding the looming import duty issue, the delivery time and personal contact make this a very impressive story. I may just have to resume looking at lum-tec.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Nice pick-up Chris; they are decent watches and although a little overpriced new they seem to hold value quite well.

Be warned that the Tungsten is a very heavy beastie. On a bracelet it will outweigh your Cave Dweller (you have good taste!) so I stuck mine on a Toshi.

I also recommend http://www.lum-tec.eu/ as they are a European partner and buying from them avoids import tax (which FedEx will likely send you as a nice surprise in a couple of weeks :( ).
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Wow,, love your Tungsten Mortis,,, makes me want one even more. Is it really THAT heavy. I didnt think anything could be heavier than the Cave Dweller. I tried the Euro Lum-Tec before i bought from the US. They didnt at the time have a lot in stock so bought straight from America. I did expect to pay the taxes so not really worried about it, i always thought you pay that before you get anything so to me it was a nice surprise when the parcel arrived and no tax beforehand,,,,,, You never know,, they may forget about me hahahaha
Chris.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

Chris,

Sorry to be a downer,but I like the Lum-Tec, I have two, one is the very first generation Orangeon Black M4, the other is the first generation Bull45 full lume dial.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Nealgar
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 55

Post by Nealgar »

ImageImage

I have two Lum tec's now and very happy with them both, well made and look the business, have had a lot of comments about them from friends and colleagues at work! I have used a uk company both times and can recommend them very highly,
http://www.tone-time.co.uk

Hope this helps
Thanks
Neal
The question is do you take the blue pill or the red pill?
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

christre wrote: Is it really THAT heavy?
We did have a competition once at a GTG in 2010.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations! Nice pickup. I hope customs doesn't hit you to hard.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Drmarkf »

Nice.

HMRC duty claims are very hit and miss (and very often the latter). I've bought a lot of things over the years from the States, and I've only had duty assessed a couple of times.
I think the VAT threshold's still only £18 value, and on top they would normally add an extra import duty that varies by the product concerned. My experience is that they are more likely to levy both for high value items (reasonably enough, I suppose).
Some sellers will list the item below its actual cost (I'm not sure if that puts anyone at risk - it's possible it could reduce any insurance value claimable) but you can more legitimately save tax if the item is listed as something that attracts a lower duty rate. For example, some years ago I bought a rather exotic American bicycle, and by listing it as 'bicycle parts' rather than as a 'bicycle' the vendor saved me a lot of money. The bike was broken down in to many separate components for shipping anyway, so 'parts' was exactly what it looked like.
For future reference it might be worth digging round the HMRC website - as I recall they do have all the tedious duty tables available, and you might save a worthwhile amount if an expensive watch could be listed as, say, 'timekeeping equipment'!
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Thanks Mark, thats worth looking into. I do expect to pay the tax and duties its just that i always thought you had to pay them first before you recieved the parcal from Fed-ex. The watch was a bit cheaper than the ones from the Euro Lum-Tec site so if i get hit with the bill it looks like its no cheaper buying from the US than here or from Europe.
christre
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by christre »

Thanks for the link Neal. I took a look there. They seem a bit limited on stock (same as the Euro Lum-Tec site). Out of stock in all the Tungsten models but its worth keeping an eye on there site in case more stock arrives.
Thanks again Neal
Chris.