Looking for something similar to 09 Forum LE....

A place to discuss other watch-brands
theresafire
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Looking for something similar to 09 Forum LE....

Post by theresafire »

Hey there everyone,

So seeing as i just joined the forum, i have only recently stumbled across the 09 forum LE version, which i must say is beautiful.

I know from time to time they end up on the sales corner (in fact i just missed one a week ago or so) however seeing as I don't have a large amount of money set aside to grab one right away should one come up, i was wondering if anyone has seen anything in the same vain/similar to the 09 forum LE.

I did see this Steinhart that i kind of like.....

The big things I like about the forum LE were the white dial with blue markers/hands. Ideally no arabic numerals, i'm a sucker for Roman/markers (like the forum le). Also no chrono, but date or date/day is fine.

Thanks!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Looking for something similar to 09 Forum LE....

Post by ianblyth »

The blue on the FLE is interesting as it looks light blue in some lights, sometimes deep blue and almost black at times.

It is an auto whereas the Steinhart is a manual wind which is more in tune (movement wise and having small seconds at the 6 movement) with the new Forum LE 2011.

For a cheap blue numbers on white dial I think it is hard to beat this Parnis which you should be able to buy for less than £60.

Although it does have arabic numerals.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

These are nice. A few of us have them.

Some of us are greedy. :oops:
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Mortis wrote:Image
These are nice. A few of us have them.
That Steinhart is a real looker, very classy. That said, so is the 09 FLE! Although these Archimede don't have roman numerals, i thought they might pique your interest - somewhat cheaper than the Steinhart as well.

Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace

Post by Mortis »

The Archimedes are more expensive than the Steinharts aren't they? I got one of the first batch of the MCII with gold based movements and they were about £300 I seem to recall - although they are currently offering one with some sort of unique circular decoration for a lot more. The Archimede is 475 Euros with lower levels of decoration than the normal Steinhart!
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Mortis wrote:The Archimedes are more expensive than the Steinharts aren't they? I got one of the first batch of the MCII with gold based movements and they were about £300 I seem to recall - although they are currently offering one with some sort of unique circular decoration for a lot more. The Archimede is 475 Euros with lower levels of decoration than the normal Steinhart!
Right you are, looked at the Premium Line as opposed to the Marine Watch line!
theresafire
Junior
Junior

Post by theresafire »

I do like both the archimede and the steinhart.

and the Panaris is also a nice looking watch, at coming in at 80 dollars seems like a steal for just a different looking watch. Seems like the movement isn't terrible either?

Saw some people saying that they are hit or miss with quality though, any comments on that?
stueyman
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by stueyman »

Surely the C20 is the most similar - barring the blue hands? Although it looks like they are only available on leather at the moment.
-----
S.

C4SKS #96, C6LE #36, C9SSK #0239,
Seiko Black Monster,
Magrette Moana Pacific,
Big Orient Mako,
DOXA Sub 5000T

"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

The C20 is a very classy watch. It was my first CWL and still the one I treasure the most. At 40 mm it has a size anyone can wear.
About the Steinhart Marine, how large does it wear, say compared to the Parnis above ? Love the style of it, but afraid it would be way too large for me...
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Terminator 2 »

I have to say that Steinhart do seem to be evolving nicely. At one time many criticised them as simply being clone merchants but quality for price seemed to win over many of the detractors. Now though they are coming up with mighty fine watches of their own. What I really like about Steinhart right now is they are making fantastic watches for men without any gimmicks. Just elegant quality at an affordable price. I get a bonus at the end of April and I think I have decided where some of it is going.

:D
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ianblyth »

theresafire wrote: the Panaris is also a nice looking watch, at coming in at 80 dollars seems like a steal for just a different looking watch. Seems like the movement isn't terrible either?

Saw some people saying that they are hit or miss with quality though, any comments on that?
It punches way above its price but budget for a new strap or bracelet as the Parnis leather straps are at best "OK". The quality of the body is superb with nice brushed and polished SS. The crystal is mineral and not sapphire though although you can get some with sapphire.

Some people say they have noisy movements but to be quite honest my Parnis's have been fine and no worse than my 7750 with the famous Valjoux wobble. And one of my Parnis regulary hits +1 sec a day without any regulation.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace

Post by Mortis »

Jan wrote:About the Steinhart Marine, how large does it wear, say compared to the Parnis above ? Love the style of it, but afraid it would be way too large for me...
You can see mine on my wrist up above - alongside the C20 pic for comparison. It doesn't wear all that small, I admit, so I would say you'd need 7" wrists to really get away with it.
Terminator 2 wrote:I have to say that Steinhart do seem to be evolving nicely. At one time many criticised them as simply being clone merchants but quality for price seemed to win over many of the detractors. Now though they are coming up with mighty fine watches of their own. What I really like about Steinhart right now is they are making fantastic watches for men without any gimmicks. Just elegant quality at an affordable price. I get a bonus at the end of April and I think I have decided where some of it is going.
While I own a couple and want one or two others I do think a large section of their line is far too replica / homage based. Their other models share an awful lot of features - for example, the Marine and Aviator watches use the same cases (even the brushed finish is the same) so if you own a few it will be obvious where corners are cut on the design front to keep costs down.
I hasten to add that I am not saying they are a bad brand - as said, they are great quality and some are lovely watches.
theresafire
Junior
Junior

Post by theresafire »

ianblyth wrote:
theresafire wrote: the Panaris is also a nice looking watch, at coming in at 80 dollars seems like a steal for just a different looking watch. Seems like the movement isn't terrible either?

It punches way above its price but budget for a new strap or bracelet as the Parnis leather straps are at best "OK". The quality of the body is superb with nice brushed and polished SS. The crystal is mineral and not sapphire though although you can get some with sapphire.

Some people say they have noisy movements but to be quite honest my Parnis's have been fine and no worse than my 7750 with the famous Valjoux wobble. And one of my Parnis regulary hits +1 sec a day without any regulation.

Glad to hear it, As currently budget wise i'm looking at not a whole lot, 80 bucks i could definitely squeeze in.
I do like the C20, although i was really looking for a white dial watch, and i like the blue hands to balance it out, give it a little something extra. Especially since my black C5 is on its way.

And I had heard that the bands are pretty poor, not really sure where to head for a decent albeit not expensive leather band(C5 will be on a bracelet). and Would it be worth upgrading to sapphire on a parnis? and also where to buy? it seems there are multiple sites? any experience here?
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

I bought my Parnis here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parnis-B-17-Autom ... 45f9397132

Very smooth experience. Quick delivery from the UK to Denmark.
Then I put a Hirsch Gaucho band on it from http://www.watch-band-center.com.

I'd recommend both.

Oh yes, should say that I am very happy with the Parnis. A very nice watch for the money.
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ianblyth »

Look at http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... 11&p=56741 for eBay sellers.

Also Getat gets very good reviews but look at Tao International, Manbushijie and Jackson Tse. Login to get the real (lower prices). They are more sterile but you can specifiy exactly what you want.

Getat - http://www.siswatch727.com/index.do
Jackson Tse - http://www.jacksontse.com/
Manbushijie - http://www.manbushijie.com/