Journey to the Pelagos

A place to discuss other watch-brands
downer
CW-watches: 4

Journey to the Pelagos

Post by downer »

It started with the thought.... "I don't need another black dial dive watch", and ended with a Pelagos, which, as you know, can only be described as a black dial dive watch.............

Over the past couple of months, I have sold a few watches (Sinn 358, Aqua Terra, MBII, Sinn UX, Orange PO and C5 Slimline) and purchased the GMT Master, so I had a bit of credit in the watch fund, and my mind quickly turned toward the next target.

Normally, when I am considering a new acquisition to my collection, I am always thinking of the 'overall fit' - looking for a watch that fills a gap or niche - something that is a bit different to those I already have, and something that (only in my opinion) enhances my collection as a whole.

So, I started off with the idea of finding a white-dialled dive watch with a contrasting bezel. I started a thread on here which resulted in dozens of suggestions (thanks all), and I looked seriously at few different choices. In the end, I didn't find anything that I was totally comfortable with - I almost purchased an IWC Aquatimer but decided it was just that bit too large, and I was very tempted with the Superocean Heritage, but the bracelet was a deal-breaker in the end.

During that process, my mind drifted in the direction of the blue Aqua Terra - a watch I've admired ever since it was introduced. In many ways, this would tick a lot of boxes - even if it would have brought little new to my collection. I think it was at this point that I started to realise that the 'need' to fill a niche was an unnecessary constraint I had placed upon myself.

Having made the mental shift to 'buy what you like and never mind if it overlaps with existing watches', I started to re-evaluate the Tudor range, which (obviously) has just re-launched in the UK, and consequently, are easily accessible for viewing.

In my mind, the Black Bay represents excellent quality for the money. A lot of people think the asking price is far too high for something powered by an ETA 2824, and they may well be right, but from my perspective, the feel and visual aspects of a watch are equally as important as the movement, and in this respect, my Tudor BBR really delivers.

Having studied a few pictures of the blue Black Bay on this and other forums, I concluded that it is significantly different from the red version to happily coexist in my collection, so I set out to have another look at it. This must have been my third or fourth visit to my local AD - each time, I looked at almost the entire range - and I'm sure the sales guy must have been getting a little tired of me...

The BBB is lovely, and I was very, very close to choosing it, but on the other hand, that dull, boring, understated, black Pelagos kept calling to me. I kept trying both of them on my wrist, and started to revert to my original thinking..."Get something different, a watch that fills a niche"...

In this case, the niche could be a) a titanium watch, or b) a watch on rubber, but at the same time, there is an obvious overlap with other black-dialled diver watches I already own.

In the end, of course, the decision was easy. I went with my heart and chose the one that was singing loudest to me - the Pelagos.

The main attraction is the absolute purity of the design - there are no frivolous or unnecessary details - it is function, function, function. It is totally understated - the matt case, matt ceramic bezel and matt dial, and is the perfect antidote to the other 'show pony' divers in my collection (the BBR, POLM and to some extent the GMTIIc).

So, having done the deed, and purchased the Pelagos, I brought it home and....

Of course, it perfectly complements the other watches in my collection and fills the niche. It is totally different to my POLM/GMTIIc and if anything, it puts pressure on the Supermarine for a place in the squad.

So, in the end, I feel I have satisfied both sides - the rational need to enhance the collection, and the emotional desire to buy what makes me happy. :)

Apologies for all the rambling, here's a few (not very good) pictures, together with a few other watches..

A few different takes on the helium release valve...

A pile of dive watches...

And, a choice of lume...
Richard
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: Journey to the Pelagos

Post by mabotham »

Solid purchase there Richard
I think I'll be getting one soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

looks great. i'm really curious to try on the pelagos and BB side by side when i'm finally able to make my way to the baltimore area to try them on. i doubt my watch budget would allow both (well, i'm sure it won't, since i'm not sure it will handle one at the moment), so i'm jealous that you're able to pull both of them off.
the "g" is for Greg...
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

No need to be rational in this game it's anything but! :lol: it's the ultimate modern Tudor.

The seamaster pro was the diver that best represented the 90's, the PO the naughties but the Pelagos is the diver of the teens. :thumbup:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Congratulations Richard.

As hard as i tried to sway the decision towards the BBB i do think you have made the right choice. The Pelagos is a fantastic watch and fits in perfectly with your collection.

:clap:
Graham
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks guys. Footy, you worked very hard, and almost scored the goal. I was extremely close to choosing the BBB, and anyway, there's always another day! :)
Richard
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

Congratulations, a lovely watch that as you quite rightly say exudes functionality.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

Excellent choice :clap: Unlike you though I'm not a huge fan of the integrated rubber strap look. I did try it but mine was soon back on the super comfortable bracelet and there it's remained.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you've lived with it for a few weeks. See if it leads you to further consolidation of your collection. I think it's a watch for most occasions and it really made me think twice about owning more than a couple of watches. High praise indeed.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

There's a lot to be said for knowing what you like. Congratulations, Richard, another excellent acquisition.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

From a recent Tudor convert, congratulation's. Love the photographs. :clap:
Mark
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Congratulations downer. The Pelagos is probably a grail for me. The only thing I find unconvincing is that it looks quite thick from the side.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Just curious, did you buy it on a bracelet and switch it to the rubber strap, or buy it on the strap only?

I'm a big fan of the Pelagos on the bracelet, but have never seen one (in reality) on rubber. From what I can gather on other threads and forums, the price of the Tudor bracelets when bought separately is a real case of sticker shock...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

Dancematt wrote:No need to be rational in this game it's anything but! :lol: it's the ultimate modern Tudor.

The seamaster pro was the diver that best represented the 90's, the PO the naughties but the Pelagos is the diver of the teens. :thumbup:
Got to say that is the best assessment I have read on these 3! :thumbup:

And not a Sub to be seen! :lol:

Richard, I do sometimes think you over analyse this game we participate in, but love the threads that analysis produces! Great catch with the Pelagos, I am very envious and will have to try to not end up just copying your collection. :clap:
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
downer

Post by downer »

gaf1958 wrote:Just curious, did you buy it on a bracelet and switch it to the rubber strap, or buy it on the strap only?

I'm a big fan of the Pelagos on the bracelet, but have never seen one (in reality) on rubber. From what I can gather on other threads and forums, the price of the Tudor bracelets when bought separately is a real case of sticker shock...
The Pelagos is supplied with both the bracelet and the rubber strap as standard.
Ceegee wrote:Excellent choice :clap: Unlike you though I'm not a huge fan of the integrated rubber strap look. I did try it but mine was soon back on the super comfortable bracelet and there it's remained.
I like it on the rubber strap, but clearly, it's a bit less versatile than the bracelet. I fully expect to put it on the bracelet very soon, and I also expect it will stay like that. :)
Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

this was for sure an excellent decision, congrats Richard. I really enjoy following your thinking on purchasing your watches, I think because we both have quite similar tastes when it comes to the sort of watch you buy (tool and dressy tool watches) and also because like me, you like to over-think everything, it is part of the fun.

Just look at that amazing photos of all the divers, it shows you managed to follow your heart and fill the niche. You have a retro style diver, a dressy diver, a tool diver and the Supermarine which is almost a style on its own but i am not sure what.
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle