Incoming - Zenith El Primero

A place to discuss other watch-brands
downer
CW-watches: 4

Incoming - Zenith El Primero

Post by downer »

Following a bit of a merry-go-round last week, I have successfully sourced a Zenith El Primero at a sensible(ish) price. This one required a lot of thought as it meant selling a couple of others in order to fund it without spending my daughters inheritance..

During this search, I came to the conclusion that my collection of more expensive watches is almost complete, as I have realised there are not many gaps I wish to fill and not many of my existing collection that I wish to sell. So, maybe one or two more 'big' purchases and then I will either retire from the game or revert to dabbling in a new affordable collection. However, all of that is for the future...

Back to this watch. I have been dreaming of owning one of these for at least a couple of years, starting when the Striking 10th was released. At that time, the choice of watches with the tri-colour dial was the (expensive) limited edition Striking 10th or the 38mm 1969 edition - neither of which was ideal for me. However, this time last year, I discovered that Zenith was planning to launch a 42mm tri-colour El Primero in October 2013. This was to be model number 03.2040.400/69.C494, and the target of my searching.

At UK list prices, Zenith watches are probably a bad place to put your money, but (hopefully) bought lightly used, they can be a decent buy.

This particular watch is from May 2014, it is unworn, and comes with a full manufacturers 2 year warranty and a fully stamped warranty card. From that point of view, it's as good as new.

Of course, a major aspect of this one is the El Primero movement, which, conceptually at least, is almost as old as I am. The development was started in 1962, with a planned launch in 1965. It was planned to be the first mechanical automatic chronograph. In fact, the launch did not take place until 1969...

From the Zenith website:

The idea was simple, but the technical specifications were not. It was to be the first automatic chronograph ever. Better still, the caliber was to be fully integrated and designed as an inseparable whole. There would be no additional module, but instead a construction built around a column wheel and a central rotor mounted on ball bearings. It would also need to beat at a high frequency in order to be the world’s most accurate chronograph. To complicate matters still further, the movement was to be miniaturised and equipped with a date mechanism. All these factors amounted to an equation so complex that it would take seven years to solve it.

There are numerous versions of the movement available, and many, many case designs. I chose the 42mm tri-colour dial as it seems to tick a lot of boxes... The size is great 42mm x 12.75 - pretty slim for a modern chrono,, the colour scheme is unusual, and a bit different, and the case seems to have a nice mixture of surfaces. On top of all that, I like the position of the date window.

The chronograph layout is often criticised for its overlapping sub-dials, and I can certainly understand that this makes it difficult to read the minutes register between about 17 and 19 minutes. However, I decided that I can treat this as a mark of character, rather than as a deficiency...

All I have to do now is wait for the damn postman. :)
Richard
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Incoming - Zenith El Primero

Post by footycrazy »

Looking forward to the pictures Richard. We knew you would go for it. :lol:
Graham
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I really like these so will be interesting to see the pics.
With regard to your daughters inheritance for gods sake dont tell her how much is missing due to your purchases in the last 24 months. Scary numbers :shock: .
Mind you I wish I had every one of them!!
Enjoy the incoming Richard
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

An outstanding and historically important movement. Mechanical chronographs had been around for decades, but the first 3 automatic ones, Zenith Heuer and Seiko, were launched within a few months or even weeks of each other in 1969.

Well, we know who grabbed the title! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

ooooooh........
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

Look forward to seeing the great picture.

How about a STOC after this one comes in eh Richard?
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Oooooohhhh, interesting! :)

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I'm going to be very interested in reading your thoughts on this once you've had it for a little while, as it's one I've thought about myself. I reckon you're going to love it! :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
downer

Post by downer »

Postie has just delivered. Wow!

Pictures later. :)
Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

downer wrote:Postie has just delivered. Wow!

Pictures later. :)
:clap: excellent!
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations Richard !
I'm delighted that you eventually got one.
Looking forward to seeing the photos later on.
downer

Post by downer »

So, here's a couple of immediate impressions and some quick pictures:

First impression is that this watch is very well made. The finish on the hands, dial and case is very crisp. Second and most obvious impression is that it is no shrinking violet... there are plenty of polished surfaces on the case, polished facets on the hands and markers, and of course, the coloured sub-dials.

Without question, this is the most blingy watch I own, or am ever likely to own. I think the watch is lovely, but it is clearly not a "wear it anywhere" kind of watch, as it will draw too much attention. Having said that, I have no concerns that there is a space for it in my collection, and I will enjoy wearing it in the right circumstances.

The watch is a good size on my wrist, although at 42mm, it's about as large as I would buy these days. The alternative is the 38mm version, which I think I would find a bit small - and probably out of proportion (height v's width).

The movement is very smooth - of course, it is beating faster than most other movements, and the seconds hand and chrono seconds move with little or no discernible stutter. I was surprised that the movement does not hack - that is not a massive issue for me, but I'd have thought Zenith would have made that modification long ago. Having said that, of course, the regular speedy also has no hacking function.

This is also the first movement I've owned where the hands are adjusted in position 1, and the date in position 2 - the opposite of ETA... it was also pleasing to notice the date flick over exactly at midnight.

The strap is very dark brown - virtually black - alligator with a rubber backing. It is immediately comfortable, although it was fitted 'back-to-front'. Originally the watch came from an Italian AD, which may explain that...

Condition-wise (the watch was advertised as unworn), it is just about perfect, although there is a tiny strap-changing mark on one lug.. not enough to worry about as far as I am concerned.

Enough woffle... here's a few quick pictures:

(apologies for the blue reflections)..

And finally, with a couple of other chronographs..

Richard
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

I think it is lovely and fit in well with your collection. Like you say not something that could easily be pulled off every day of the week but for a piece of spice and colour in a large collection that thing is perfect. It is a left-field watch brand with a left-field dial and nice that you have a hi-beat movement in your collection as I am not sure other than Grand Seiko where you would get one. No doubts it is a proper looker!

Am not sure about the star on the chronograph hand...

I love that shot with the Speedy and Sinn :thumbup:
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

wow, the movement is impressively decorated.

grats richard!
the "g" is for Greg...
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

A good call downer,watch students right , that will fit in very well. Your collection is stunning and indeed really has no more room to grow, I should think some of these sales will hurt for this watch but it is lovely and adds further balance, it's one of the most beautiful chrono graphs ever made, top 3 for me and this isn't the end, you've still got all those servicing bills to look forward to just like the rest of us :lol:aa
I miss all the great things that may never be.
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

simply gorgeous! congratulations :thumbup:
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)