Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Incoming - The "New" Cocktail Time

Post by Aifo »

Hi Gents and Ladies,

Spent a few days in Japan travelling with my in-laws, very nice weather and I was lucky to have 30 minutes to myself for some watch shopping. Everytime when I travel Japan I make it a mission statement to buy 1) some Japanese Whisky and 2) a Japan made watch, and fair to say mission accomplished!

A magnificent view of the "Golden Temple" in Kyoto

I didn't have any watch in mind before the trip, and was pleasantly surprised to come upon a new released by Seiko. It belongs to their "Brightz" series, sort of their domestic middle range line of watches targeting the "salary men/women", i.e. me. Like other Seiko series, they come in a variety of movements and specs, funky quartz (solar powered, radio controlled etc.) and automatics (3 handers and chronographs).

I picked a simple 3 handers with date, model no. SDGM001, a simple 3 handers measuring 48.6mm×40.5mm×11.5mm. Bit large for a business watch for some and I would prefer it to be 38-39mm instead. Seiko has introduced some new technology, named as "Comfitex", literally meaning comfortable technology (I guess) in some of their new watches. To my surprise, they are very practical upgrades, and basically 3 things: 1) Super-clear-AR coating on sapphire 2) "Diashield"/ diamond shield processed stainless steel case and bracelet and 3) some kind of anti-dirt treatment on the lens.

I was blown away with the AR coating, extremely good quality and on par with the best I have seen (like Brietling good). The "Diashield" tech is yet to be tested, it is suppose to protect the steel from scratches but I don't usually throw my watches at brick walls anyways. Similarly for the anti-dirt treatment, put my thumbs on the lens and it is still "dirty", so not so magical. As mentioned, the AR coating was the most impressive.

Style-wise, 2 line texts (Seiko + Automatic), applied indexes, non-numbered chapter ring, sun-burst effect champagne dial and blue steel second hand.

The bracelet is comfortable, similar with the one on my GS but with a 3-folded clasp, sizing shouldn't be a problem for those concerned as there are half-links.

I have thoroughly enjoyed wearing it for the past couple of days, but it is not without flaws, to name a few: 1) the movement is only the so-so 6R15 (accurate to 25+/- seconds per day) and obviously not decorated 2) for god knows reason Seiko decided to decorate the crown with cabochon, bit pointless and borderline vulgar and 3) the lug width is 21mm!!. A picture of the crown:

The suggested retail price is around USD900, which is expensive, however street price is around USD700-ish which is more reasonable for this kind of watch. I admit I have got a good deal, afterall I did get it in Japan....

So is it recommended? Certainly so if you can live with the flaws listed and looking for a watch of similar style. Is it better than the original cocktail time? Quite subjective and I would personally say yes. Is it a Grand Seiko? Hell no, but the case, crystal and finishing are all very good quality. I do believe this to be a good example of higher-end Seiko.

The standard version comes on both Champagne and black dial, and a run of limited editions of 500 each there are also blue, maroon and silver dials to choose from, these special box sets comes with 3 straps (but no bracelet) and double in price, IMO definitely not worth the premium. I knew we like blue-dial so here's a photo:

Finally, to those who are interested to know more, here's a link to Seiko's website (in Japanese): http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/bz/mechanical/mechanical/

Oh, did I mention whisky?

:D
Incoming: 0
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Incoming - The "New" Cocktail Time

Post by bspj »

I liked the old one and I like this one too! It is an elegant wristwatch.
Steve
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by 7ee »

Nice little watch :thumbup: I do like the blue dial one.

Agree with your comment about the crown, that is a bit nasty.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A nice looking watch albeit quite traditional in appearance.

I like the cabochon as it gives it a little extra. I have always thought that crowns in the main are rather ordinary and boring. Cartier use cabochons a lot and I think they can give certain watches a better look.

What a lovely photograph of the Temple. It all looks so tranquil.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

Looks lovely. Japan and the watch!
No sure about the crown, I'd want to see it first.
Overall though very nice. I've always liked the original and this one looks good too.
But I too have always had slight reservations about the size.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Very nice Aifo, I've been waiting for a new incoming from you. I quite like cabochon in the right place.
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Lovely watch Aifo.

And 40.5mm is a plus i think. Great size and very nice dial/case design. :thumbup:
Graham
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I always liked the original Cocktail time and this one is a s nice. Well done on both fronts, the whiskey too :)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

footycrazy wrote:Lovely watch Aifo.

And 40.5mm is a plus i think. Great size and very nice dial/case design. :thumbup:
Agreed, I think the few extra mm is a plus. Very nice!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Great looking watch , nice size and the dial is stunning , i really like the blue dialed version .
Bernie
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo »

I have always liked the cocktail time by Seiko and was very close to ordering one, but the "new" version certainly is beautiful. The cabochon is nice (could be a little bit smaller though) and adds to its elegant appearance. The sunburst dial is stunning. However, I am not so fond of the font - if they had chosen a different style for the "Automatic", it would look more elegant.

There is only one question that remains: why is there no Seiko in my collection?

So enjoy the watch!

Andreas
Andreas
Sabbath
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Sabbath »

Both the Cocktail and the whiskey are winners for me.

If I had space in my watch box and any money I would like one as the slightly older style suits me. I have kept my C5 Malvern to cover that role.

Well done on both counts
Mark
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Nice watch spoiled by the cabochon - a detail that would totally stop me buying the watch. :)
Richard
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Looks great. However, I don't get why Seiko can't regulate their movements better to keep time as good as a basic ETA/Sellita even though the SARBs and Brightzs cost the same or higher. My green Alpinist was also gaining about 20 secs/day (while I was tracking it in the beginning) while all my Swiss watches keep time within 8 secs a day.
benbjo
Senior
Senior

Post by benbjo »

That blue dialed version is amazing. But the price is a bit high indeed. Especially for the movement