Incoming Omega :) - picture heavy

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Incoming Omega :) - picture heavy

Post by Viognier »

It’s been a fantastic last four weeks for my watch box and collection. First, a CW C3 from the family for Christmas, followed by my acquisition of the Alpina Yacht Timer LE and now lucked into another watch that I have been eyeing.

Before I get to the latest incoming, I’ve had to move several out; namely my Victorinox Ambassador XL handwind (truly a great travel watch with no date function to worry about), Steinhart Nav B Chrono II (destined to a good CW forum home) and finally for sale is the Sottomarino Italia Stella Marina (Japanese Miyota automatic diver).

I’ve been eyeing one of the iconic watches from Omega. I’ve sought counsel from trusted CW forum members who own them. I knew I wanted one and had a couple of models in mind from past visits to the Omega Boutique.

In my case, I happened to be the right place at the right time for a local sale. The seller was given one of the newer models as a corporate gift and preferred his existing watches. We met up, enjoyed some “watch talk live” and I left with a cracker of a buy on a brand new in box Omega Speedmaster (bracelet and case back still had the plastic on!).

I purchased an Omega Speedmaster Racing Series (launched at Baselworld in 2012). So basically since January 20th I’ve had a two watch rotation (this and the Alpina) :). Shiny new toy syndrome I guess!

Forum good guy Peteo nabbed his Speedmaster Racing series with the fantastic yellow highlights back in late 2012 and it immediately shot to my short list. The Speedmaster Professional Moon watch and the Speedmaster Co-Axial chronograph were both coveted and shortlisted. Both are quite pricey I might add, so due diligence was important versus an impulse purchase. Thrilled with my decision…. especially after all the advance research. In my case that allowed me to pounce when the opportunity availed itself.

Here are a few details, specs, my thoughts and observations.

Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Chronograph
• Model # 326.30.40.50.01.002

This watch is part of Omega’s Speedmaster racing series. Omega’s website shares that the dial was inspired by Italian race cars and that the Speedmaster has a long association with racing before it made its famous trip to the moon! To my eyes, it’s a modernized version of the Speedy which did a wonderful job maintaining all the Speedmaster cues that make this watch iconic.

The blended polished and brushed steel case maintains the Speedmaster shape and trademark appearance. Polished lugs and chrono pushers with brushed case sides. I was initially concerned about the case size at 40mm though. The Professional Moonwatch was 42mm and did I want that one or could I pull off the 40mm case of the racing series? Ironically Christopher Ward played into that decision making. The C3 MKI the family gifted at Christmas surprised me that I could wear a 40mm case with my larger sized wrists. The Racing series also wears slightly larger given the thin bezel. My ideal size range appears to be 40mm – 45mm. Never thought I’d admit it but I now enjoy the variety of case sizes also in my collection. The case is quite thick coming in about 15mm.

The bezel is the classic tachymetre, and is thin and helps the watch wear a touch larger as it feels like it’s all dial.
I definitely wanted a Panda dial and this did not disappoint. The dial is easy to read with slightly domed Sapphire crystal and double anti-reflective coatings. The dial colour is matte black with three white subdials with a textured “Clos de Paris” treatment that adds depth and interest. The small seconds is at the familiar 9:00 position, and the hours at 6:00 and minutes located at 3:00. The date wheel blends beautifully with white background and black lettering, subtly located at 6:00. Interesting is a small button on the case side at 10:00 (see picture). Omega includes a small pusher tool to adjust the date. I have not had this on any of my watches before.

Similar to my Alpina, I would describe the hands as matchstick shaped and have a fantastic silver outline. The subdials also have silver hands for great contrast against the textured white. I also appreciate the longer minute hand touching the internal minutes scale calibration for ease of telling what time it is. I’m not much of a lume guy, but it does have super-luminova coating on the minute and hour hands.

The Speedmaster racing series uses the Calibre: Omega 3330 as their in house engine. It is a column wheel, three layer Co-Axial chronograph movement accompanied by Omega’s Si14 silicon balance spring for virtually friction free movement and accuracy (and up to 10 years before servicing!). The column wheel makes a huge difference on the ease and smoothness of the chronograph pushers. The case back has the classic Omega Seahorse embossed medallion.

COSC Chronometer certified, it beats at 28,800/h with 31 jewels and an appreciated 52 hour power reserve.

The push-in crown is a touch small for my larger hands it does make manually winding the watch a bit tricky. Omega logo embossed on the crown for that signed appearance. Even with the push-in crown the watch has 100metres (330 ft) of water resistance. Won’t be swimming or snorkeling with this one, but no panic if I get caught in the rain or takes a splash.

The 19mm bracelet is Omega comfortable…read forget I’m wearing it comfortable! Polished stainless steel centre links with brushed Omega safety/divers clasp, including micro adjustments. Bracelet comes from the factory with a half link inserted so that made the sizing a breeze.

The kit comes standard with the outer white Omega box and inside contains the red Omega watch box, manual and card holder. Omega provides a 4 year warranty on the Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Chronograph.

Accuracy has been +3 seconds over the past 96 hours…just fantastic!

I’m ecstatic with this one and nicely fits into my collection which I’m trying hard to hold at no more than 7 watches.
Fit and finish is brilliant with a world class movement and textured details that elevate this into an unbelievable watch.

Thanks for reading :)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Incoming Omega :) - picture heavy

Post by footycrazy »

Congratulations Lance, firstly on the new purchase and also for a fabulous post/pics.

:clap:

Enjoy it mate.
Graham
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

OMG Lance that is just STUNNING !!!!!
I had to get the kitchen towel out to wipe the excessive drool from being transfixed reading your thread.
Firstly, Many Congratulations and Enjoy this exquisite piece in good health my friend.
Your photos of the Speedmaster are some of the best I've seen, of any watch I might add.
I really love the detail on the sub dials, my favorite bit.
I knew you would get a nice watch but I didn't think it would be a great one as this is.
Well done Lance ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A fabulous addition and a great post - congratulations, Lance! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Excellent post and review.

That ones certainly got a very interest dial with what seems to be some guilloche work on it.

Great stuff.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Congratulations again, Lance. That is a great looking watch! :) :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
JAG
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by JAG »

Really nice piece great write up :-)

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes there will be
My spelling & Grammar stinks i no you don't have to PM me to Explain ! :-)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

When opportunity knocks......open the door.

Well done! A beautiful piece. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Great pick up Lance! Congratulations on aquiring a special Speedmaster.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Drmarkf »

That is extremely nice and has just got added to my list of future Omega purchases! Please don't post anything else for a year or two...

I normally don't like the classic fancy dial finishes, which tend to look like a tart's breakfast, but that Clos de Paris treatment is set off so well by the general 'tool' nature of the rest of the watch that for me it works perfectly.
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

That's a beautiful piece...the racing series is my fav :thumbup:
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Congratulations and thanks for an excellent write-up.
Skribble5
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Skribble5 »

Beautiful watch! Congrats. I am hoping to one day work for a company that gives such watches as "corporate gifts" :) ... My company only sends email thank you e-cards (that too rarely!)
Got: IWC Portofino, CW C60 scooter blue, CW C60 orange GMT, Raymond Weil Don Giovanni, Frederique Constant Art Deco
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Thank you everyone for your kind words about the watch, the pictures and the write up. I appreciate the encouragement and your comments!
Drmarkf wrote:That is extremely nice and has just got added to my list of future Omega purchases! Please don't post anything else for a year or two...
Drmarkf - I anticipate that the balance of 2014 will be enjoying my watches and the purchases of OTHER forum members :)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

MiniMpi wrote:OMG Lance that is just STUNNING !!!!!
I had to get the kitchen towel out to wipe the excessive drool from being transfixed reading your thread.
Firstly, Many Congratulations and Enjoy this exquisite piece in good health my friend.
Your photos of the Speedmaster are some of the best I've seen, of any watch I might add.
I really love the detail on the sub dials, my favorite bit.
I knew you would get a nice watch but I didn't think it would be a great one as this is.
Well done!
Ferg, appreciate the good laugh and very kind words. I was really lucky to find it and had my offer to purchase accepted.