Homages vs. Replica's

A place to discuss other watch-brands

What do you think of homage/replica watches?

They're great, cheap & affordable! What's not to like!
50%
They're cheap, disrespectful & uncool. Dislike.
19%
Eh, meh, I've got no spine- no opinion on the matter.
4%
I like donuts with cheese on top.
27%

Total votes: 26

davidtsee

Homages vs. Replica's

Post by davidtsee »

Sorry- edited my previous post to another thread since it was not relevant to this one..

Sooooo instead, I want to see what peoples opinions are on the (possibly) heated topic of homages and replica's.

I personally think Invicta is a culprit of mass-marketed replica's and almost never have seen an Invicta that was purely thought of as the brain-child of the owner of that company.. most of their products resemble another current watch out there right now.

What are your opinions? :clap:
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7
LE-two: yes

Re: Homages vs. Replica's

Post by Monkey »

Is there actually ever going to be a truly unique watch ever again, that doesn't draw any design cue's from something that's gone before??????

Obviously there are some of the weird and wacky, and quite often very pricey designs some 'flamboyant' watch 'designers' come up with, but I think we can safely dismiss those :wink:

I don't really have a problem with the general idea, as long as they look exactly the same, or as close as dammit, to the original watches the design is taken from!!
John
tattoo chef

Post by tattoo chef »

Invicta would be labeled homage.

Replicas are illegal and are exact copies with the brand name. Or fakes if you will.

I mean look at CW for instance.
The Makaira pro takes design cues heavily from Bell&Ross, but I wouldn't call it a replica.

Most micros(not all) are homages to an extent.

Invicta does have original designs. Unfortunately none that I would consider purchasing because I find them unappealing.

But as said above, hard to find many watches these days that do not have similar features or characteristics to others.
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

I have often found that if you have seen and handled the real thing, the homage or fake version (I just want to point out I hate fakes and they should all be smashed with a big hammer) are always going to be a let down. I tend to look at things from an engineering point of view when purchasing a watch so many things within the movement also plays a large part of my buying decision, homages have there place, but they aren't very exciting within and they will normally have an ETA, Sellita, seagull or some Chinese movement in them (I'm not knocking ETA, Sellita or Seagull movements) and they just don't have the finer qualities that original possesses.
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Monkey wrote:Is there actually ever going to be a truly unique watch ever again, that doesn't draw any design cue's from something that's gone before??????
You can never make something that is identifiable as a watch without it having some resemblance to what has gone before - it may be intentional, it may just be the design element is the obvious way to achieved the desired result.

The very first watch to have a round dial and 3 hands being the obvious exception ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
neillp
Junior
Junior

Post by neillp »

A replica and a Hommage are very different.

I would never own a replica, it is disrespectful.

Personnally I am in 2 minds about homages at the moment, I dont mind a hint towards an iconic watch but not too close.
markluge
Junior
Junior

Post by markluge »

Not keen on replicas - homages on the other hand I think can be great fun. I've got one PAM homage (or two if you count my Magrette...) and when you see some of the dials that some people come up with, there is no way you could mistake them for Panerai's with the exception of case shape, which in itself is arguably just a large cushion case anyway.

Once you get into the shady realm of replicas that is another thing altogether I think. Saying that, I passed by a replica forum looking for a winding stem and couldn't believe the lengths that replica enthusiasts go to. Some of them are a couple of £ grand????
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

I think the options for the vote were flippant and inflammatory. :thumbdown:

Replicas and Homages are 2 different entities and shouldn't be lumped together.

As stated, nearly all watches (and many CW's) take design cues from other brands.
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Pointless poll.

Homages & replicas are different beasts.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Son of Laird

Post by scooter »

Probably starting a Poll on your second day is not a great idea. Picking up on andyg and village's comments and adding to the mix your 2 last options is possibly risky.

I see you have already commented on Kip's Warning post

davidtsee wrote:Hmm... okay, I might be caught under this log but to be honest- I do actually post threads that I have questions about and want to discuss, unless your speedposting is regarded to those who just post up "Agreed" to one thread or another?

Perhaps posting in Members Introduction and reading this excellent post may be helpful.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =6&t=15026

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

They really are a different kettle of fish in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a homage as long as you dont expect the same level of quality and engineering! You may very well like the look and styling of a high end model without the bank balance so wht not? Not trying to fool anyone! Replicas not so keen and the watch equivalent of a big fat lie!
Cheers now, Paul
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

village wrote:Pointless poll.

Homages & replicas are different beasts.
What he said :D
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by andyg »

Anyone notice the OP has gone very quiet...
Andy

akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

not surprised with that response above ;)

not everyone structures their joining a forum in a neat way :)

personally I would have chosen the last option, except being British, I don't buy donuts and would never put cheese on top - now melted chocolate, or fudge sauce - bring it on!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by andyg »

akirk wrote:not surprised with that response above ;)

not everyone structures their joining a forum in a neat way :)

personally I would have chosen the last option, except being British, I don't buy donuts and would never put cheese on top - now melted chocolate, or fudge sauce - bring it on!

Alasdair
funnily enough, i choose the last option just to be obtuse! :thumbup:
Andy