Help with my spending dilemma

A place to discuss other watch-brands
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Help with my spending dilemma

Post by rgb »

I suppose this is a take on the earlier "£600 to spend" thread.

Say you have $2500 CDN to spend on a watch. Minus taxes, that means about CDN $2250 CDN / US $1725 / £1100 for the piece.

The AD brands available are: Baume & Mercier, Bell & Ross, Hamilton, Hubolt, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Longines, Montblanc, Omega, Paiget, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Tag-Heuer, Tudor, Vacheron Constantin, and Zenith.

No used watches are available, so the price constraint may eliminate some brands from consideration.

Which watch(es) would you consider?
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Help with my spending dilemma

Post by downer »

At UK prices - unless there was a serious sale - you would not find anything from B&M, B&R, Hublot, JLC, Montblanc, Omega, Piaget, Rolex, Tudor, VC or Zenith

Of those left, you would be at the lower end of the RW or Longines range, and the higher end of Hamilton. Personally, I would go with Hamilton or Longines.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Might help if you can narrow it down to the type of watch, Randy. As Richard says, most of those are eliminated on price, and you would be looking at the lower end of Longines. That's where I would start looking.

Is this a hypothetical question?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It sounds like this isn't a buy for you but a friend? Have you tried chrono24? You could maybe get a Tudor ranger for that?

The brand your really missing out on here is Sinn. Certainly the right price bracket. Alternatively there's the Longines Hydroconquest diver or the ....CW C1000.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Dancematt wrote:It sounds like this isn't a buy for you but a friend? Have you tried chrono24? You could maybe get a Tudor ranger for that?

The brand your really missing out on here is Sinn. Certainly the right price bracket. Alternatively there's the Longines Hydroconquest diver or the ....CW C1000.
I got the impression from the post that the money must be spent at a specific retailer, hence the tightly constrained brand list and "no used watches are available".
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Coupons ?
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Might help if you can narrow it down to the type of watch, Randy. As Richard says, most of those are eliminated on price, and you would be looking at the lower end of Longines. That's where I would start looking.

Sadly, no. I had given the AD whom I had visited in August a deposit of $2500 on the white Explorer II, which I subsequently purchased elsewhere. I expected to get the deposit back but after "speaking to the manager", was informed that it is "company policy not to refund deposits. But you can put it toward any watch". That ticks me off, but putting aside for the moment the store policy and its right or wrongness, I am left to decide which watch to buy.

I didn't want to limit the discussion to one or two types of watches.
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Simon57
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Simon57 »

Longines all the way. You'll have a few choices, but try to haggle then stretch to a Legend Diver, if not buy a Hydroconquest and save the leftover cash!
Christopher Ward x7 // Oris // Tag Heuer // Longines x2 // Nomos // Seiko // Orient x2 // Vostok x2
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

rgb wrote:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Might help if you can narrow it down to the type of watch, Randy. As Richard says, most of those are eliminated on price, and you would be looking at the lower end of Longines. That's where I would start looking.

Sadly, no. I had given the AD whom I had visited in August a deposit of $2500 on the white Explorer II, which I subsequently purchased elsewhere. I expected to get the deposit back but after "speaking to the manager", was informed that it is "company policy not to refund deposits. But you can put it toward any watch". That ticks me off, but putting aside for the moment the store policy and its right or wrongness, I am left to decide which watch to buy.

Ooh, the perfect excuse.....

Sorry darling, but the deposit is non refundable. I have to spend it on another watch!!!!

Me, I would go in, find the watch I really wanted and if more than the deposit, find a way to add to it.

Better that than p1$$ing away the deposit on a watch you don't really want just because you have to.

If not, buy wifey something shiney. Sets you up nicely for your next purchase. :D
downer

Post by downer »

rgb wrote:

What style of watch are you looking for (or where is there a gap in your collection)?
Richard
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Or you could just keep hold of the money and save up for one that you'd like.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

rgb wrote:

Ooh, the perfect excuse.....

Sorry darling, but the deposit is non refundable. I have to spend it on another watch!!!!

Me, I would go in, find the watch I really wanted and if more than the deposit, find a way to add to it.

Better that than p1$$ing away the deposit on a watch you don't really want just because you have to.

If not, buy wifey something shiney. Sets you up nicely for your next purchase. :D
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

rgb wrote: "company policy not to refund deposits. But you can put it toward any watch".
It may be company policy, but what about government policy regarding deposits - does the state or federal government have a policy regarding this, that is different (and over-riding)?

It is after all, a deposit - it's not like you've taken the goods out of the store and are asking for a refund, in which case a no refund policy could be understandable... They've had the use of your funds (earning interest) during the period, they should now return them.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Pretty poor of the store not to return the deposit, but apparently in Ontario, they do not have to.

http://www.ontario.ca/consumers/returns ... es-ontario

"In Ontario, stores and other suppliers are not legally required to offer refunds or exchanges. So it’s important that you check each store’s policy before buying there."

I would try for a Longines, Tudor or Montblanc (might need to add some $), but with them you should be able to resell it to recoupe the money if needed.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill