Hamilton - buying advice

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Gogs
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Hamilton - buying advice

Post by Gogs »

Looking for some advice from you guys. I'm thinking about buying a Hamilton Khaki Field Watch and there is one on ebay here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HAMIL ... 716wt_1270

Has anybody had any dealings with Ideacharm? Their feedback looks all good. Also, what do you think about the watch, does anybody have one? Should I spend and extra £150 (approx) on the auto version?

If you have any other watches in a similar style that I should consider then please let me know (I'm looking to limit the price at about £500).

Cheers,

Gogs.
Tag Heuer Monaco
Tag Heuer Professional Golf
C60 Trident Auto
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Re: Hamilton - buying advice

Post by Lawrence »

I have two and love them both and they both have ETA movements (Jazzmaster Lord Hamilton ETA 7750 and the Hamilton Viewmatic has an ETA ETA 2824-2). The Khaki Field line are nice watches. If you buy please post pictures.
Bulova Accutron Gemini, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, C60 Elite 1000 GMT, C60 Chrono, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C60 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC LE Edition and others....
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Hamilton are cracking watches they seem to use bog standard ETA movements that pretty much all watches of that price bracket use so take your pick. You may want to have a look at Christopher Ward watches which use ETA movements but are a lot cheaper than Hamilton. Tissot are another brand but I am not aware of them having a range of military or pilot watches they are however, cheaper than Hamilton.

Think Hamilton are living a bit on past reputation of being an American watch made in America. At least they dont use Chinese or Russian movements which seems to be the ultimate sin these days.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Hamitlon are nice watches, a couple of things to note are that they usually have awful lume and no AR coating on the crystal, however they always seem very well regulated and the straps are always first rate. Its a classic watch no doubt about it, but would certainly go for the auto, thats not a bad deal on the quartz version but adding customs tax and shipping its less inviting than buying one from an AD in the uk (where you will get proper back up should the watch fail). Also Hamiltons are heavily discounted in the UK so a bargain is never far away.

It depends how much you prefer quartz really, if you can stomach it id go for the handwind version (this is just my taste at the moment) as it has a bit more going for it character wise (one of the few 100m WR sapphire crystal handwinds out there):

other similar military options around in the same price brackett include:

Timefactors Smith prs-29

the Precista prs-5

Or if you want a Quartz - a g10 look alike (british army style) - this is probably the best (10 year battery life, screw down crown, 100m WR) precista prs-10:

or cheaper, Seiko Quartz - Seiko Spirit SBCA001

or cheaper still - Auto - seiko 5 military

Out of all of them, the Hamilton Khaki Quartz would be my almost last choice (esp from oversees seller) - but thats just my tastes and reasonings - everyones different and its still a pretty decent watch.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

[quote="robert75"]Think Hamilton are living a bit on past reputation of being an American watch made in America./quote]

I've just spent the last 30 minutes trolling through the Hamilton website and the majority say 'Swiss Made" I have to presume this comes from being owned by the Swatch Group.
Bulova Accutron Gemini, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, C60 Elite 1000 GMT, C60 Chrono, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C60 Trident Bronze Ombré COSC LE Edition and others....
Gogs
Senior
Senior

Post by Gogs »

Thanks for the replies - some food for thought there, I may have to look at the suggestions above.

One thing though, do you have to pay import tax (VAT or whatever) if you are buying within the EU?

Cheers,

Gogs
Tag Heuer Monaco
C60 Trident Auto
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 110

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Within the EU you should only have to pay for the shipping. :)
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Lawrence wrote:
robert75 wrote:Think Hamilton are living a bit on past reputation of being an American watch made in America./quote]

I've just spent the last 30 minutes trolling through the Hamilton website and the majority say 'Swiss Made" I have to presume this comes from being owned by the Swatch Group.

CW have swiss made but they are a British watch company. It depends on the parts inside them. You may be right though, Hamilton may have been bought out by the Swatch group. As I say, they are living a bit on past glory of being an American watch company. Doesnt make them bad watches but some of the ones I have seen as many others have pointed out you can get a lot more for your money.

Ollech & Wajs. They actually are a Swiss company that do military watches.
Laco. Do pilot watches for decent value.
Stowa. Little bit more expensive than Laco.
Steinhart. Represent good value for money.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

I'm happy to second Timefactors as a source of good quality military style watches.

Roy Taylor (RLT) has made some Khaki Field looky-likies in the past. The current RLT6PVD bears a resemblance too.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Tor Billon
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tor Billon »

My Hamilton Khaki Field, is one of my absolute favourites in my collection. It just looks and feels right to me.

I have the automatic ETA, 42mm version. I managed to get it used for £200, it is mint, so its worth looking around, if you don't need new. It feels very tough and reliable - great quality ! Good luck with whatever you go for!

DSCN0495

DSCN0494

The lume seems pretty good :

a (15)
Gogs
Senior
Senior

Post by Gogs »

I would be happy to buy used, where did you get your one from?

I've had a look around and I really like the Hamilton, think I will hold for an auto at a good price.
Tag Heuer Monaco
C60 Trident Auto
Tor Billon
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tor Billon »

Was just from a private ebay seller. They do pop up now and then.
Good luck! :thumbup:
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Also have a look at Ernest & Jones at sale time. The last few sales they have had Hamiltons at half price.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
snu
Senior
Senior

Post by snu »

Your Hamilton Khaki Field look great, congratulations.
I love this watch.
:thumbup:
John
bamagrad03
Junior
Junior

Post by bamagrad03 »

If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton retains some "business operations" here in the states, but they're certainly under the swatch group umbrella. Those business operations may be shell in nature and merely exist to be able to say they're an American company.