H. Moser & Cie Mayu Marrone mini review

A place to discuss other watch-brands
SIB
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

H. Moser & Cie Mayu Marrone mini review

Post by SIB »

I posted a couple of shots of this watch in a post about gold watches and it got a some interest plus a request from another member to do a mini review so thought I'd do one. I've never reviewed a watch before but an excuse to take pictures of my favourite one is always welcome so here goes......

I've been collecting watches for around 25 years now but only became aware of H. Moser & Cie over the past couple. This watch appeared on another forum a couple of years ago and I was very interested in it. I didn't know anything of the brand but the watch to me looked absolutely stunning. I started to do some research and found out some of the history of the company and was pleased to see they were a well respected and traditional watch company who just seemed to have missed my radar.

This particular model is a limited edition of 20 pieces made for the Asian market. The standard version has a "12" at the top but this as you can see has a single line. I personally prefer this model (although wouldn't turn my nose up at the other!) as I feel it is a more balanced dial and looks a bit more refined

The dial is difficult to photograph and is a very deep brown with tight sunburst effect. You can see it better in this shot if you look closely. Please ignore the reflection of the camera and my fat fingers, the only way I could show the effect was to take the shot straight on.

The back of the watch I think is every bit as nice as the front! I love the way they have done the power reserve indicator putting it in the back rather than unbalancing the face and putting it on the dial. The reserve lasts for 3 days officially although I get a little more on this.

The escapement is removable which apparently makes servicing a lot easier and quicker to do. Not something I will be attempting to do myself of course but good to know :-)

The watch is made from white gold and the front and back are sapphire crystal. This is the first white gold watch I have owned and as someone who always thought white gold was "just like steel" this was an eye opener for me. The watch is quite a bit heavier than I would have expected if it had been made from steel and the finish of it is almost "liquid-like". I can't think of another way to describe it other than playing with mercury as a kid in science class, the way the shiny metal flowed is how this looks! Hopefully my top picture gives an idea of this. The watch is 38.8mm diameter and 9.3mm thick. It sits very well on my7" wrists and seems perfectly proportioned for a modern dress watch

I couldn't get an exact fit on the supplied alligator strap and I was loathed to putting an extra hole in it so had a strap custom made for me by Cheergiant. I was struggling to find something "off the shelf" in deep brown alligator with the curved end I required. I tried Camille Fourant and a few others first but couldn't get a good colour match for the exact colour I wanted and I was a bit unsure of how it would look. I searched online and by coincidence saw a strap Cheergiant had done that was close to what I wanted but not quite there. I contacted them directly and the owner (George) was very accommodating. I had another strap that was the colour I wanted and I wanted the same specification sizewise as the original one so I sent pictures of both as well as the sizes, materials, finish I wanted, etc and left them too it. Several weeks later and a photograph of the strap arrived in my inbox and a request of if I liked it. I did so paid and it arrived a few days later. Never have I been so careful removing and fitting a new strap I assure you!! I always take great care not to scratch the lugs but this was masking taped up and I REALLY took my time. The new strap is a tight fit and I was panicking putting it on that it either wouldn't fit or I'd mark the watch putting it on but I got there with patience (and a few swear words!). Here's the original strap. I wanted something a little closer to the dial colour when I was having one made:

This is by far and away the nicest watch I have owned. My collection used to be pretty fluid and I tended to chop and change my watches a fair bit (not so much these days) but this is one watch I would have to be REALLY desperate for cash to sell and there's nothing I can think of I would trade it for. It's clearly a dress watch but just as well with jeans and a shirt as it does my suit. I think taking it to the beach would stretch it's versatility a bit but with little to no water resistance I don't think that's anything I have to worry about!! :-)
Jon_Birch
Senior
Senior

Re: H. Moser & Cie Mayu Marrone mini review

Post by Jon_Birch »

That's absolutely beautiful. The display back/movement is a thing of sheer beauty too. Lovely review, gorgeous watch.
C.Ward C60 Trident GMT 600
Autodromo Veloce Stainless Steel
Orient Black MAKO - CEM65001B
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Agreed, that movement is a thing of beauty.

Must admit, I'm not too taken with the dial, but it's a dress watch so fulfills that role, and I'm not a dress watch kind of guy :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
chrisw
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by chrisw »

absolute cracker, that is just so beautiful very jealous.
C60 blue
C60 GMT mk2.
C8 mk2 vintage blk
C9 BDD
C15
C70 DType
C65 SWS
Bulova presisionist
Tag Carrera
Rado xeramo
Omega Seamaster
Garrad 9ct
GS SBGX 065
Rolex Datejust
Longine h flagship
Omega Deville coaixal 18ct
Tudor Oyster Royal
Seiko sarb 035
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

A stunningly beautiful watch. Thanks for responding so quickly to my request for a review, and for including these excellent pictures. A Mayu without the big 12 - I didn't know that existed. I agree your watch is better looking than the standard Mayu. No wonder you bought it.
I really liked your description of white gold - liquid. It does make sense, and together with the extra heft I can see the attraction. The cost however ... :(
It seems to need winding though. :D
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

By the way, I would love to see a picture taken in bright daylight. The dial must really light up under sunlight.
Bjørn
SIB
Expert
Expert

Post by SIB »

Wis wrote:By the way, I would love to see a picture taken in bright daylight. The dial must really light up under sunlight.
I'll try for you but I live in Scotland so you may be waiting a while....all we get is different shades of grey! :lol:
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

SIB wrote:...all we get is different shades of grey! :lol:
Around 50? ;)
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

SIB wrote:
Wis wrote:By the way, I would love to see a picture taken in bright daylight. The dial must really light up under sunlight.
I'll try for you but I live in Scotland so you may be waiting a while....all we get is different shades of grey! :lol:
I hear you. I grew up on the Western coast of Norway. Similar weather.
Bjørn
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A stunning watch; thanks for doing a review. I have tried on the Venturer a couple of times and I think pictures don't really do Mosers justice. Better value than a PP in my view.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

Post by scooter »

Thank you for taking the time to review this for us.

A truly lovely watch and an inspiration to have the PR on the back.

I think that Tony (learningtofly) on TZ had a Moser with the number 12.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Great review of a watch brand I knew little about. As others have said that decorated movement in the exhibition back is just remarkable!!

Brilliant, timeless addition and thank you for the great review and pictures. So special to own only 1 of 20 worldwide!!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Nice review of a gorgeous watch , the movement is stunning .
Bernie
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for the taking the time to do this terrific review of a magnificent watch. Still envious....
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Great photos of an exclusive & really stunning watch, by an interesting brand.

I have never really understood the allure of white gold (or platinum) as opposed to stainless steel, as to the casual observer they really look the same, but I think that material choice here really epitomises the core appeal of this watch - it doesn't matter what it casually looks like to others (although a closer look would indeed reveal that lustrous 'liquid' appeal you note), but to the wearer it's indeed something very special, and worth it therefore.

Similarly, the dial & hands have a wonderfully understated, classic & timeless appeal - you can float amongst all the Rolex & Panerai wearers in the knowledge you have something a bit different. This extends ten-fold to the display back, which is just glorious, and a real tour-de-force treat reserved for the owner alone.

The deliberate & considered pick of leather strap just complements the rest of the package, good choice.

The removable balance/escapement unit is a novel & expedient idea that intrigues me - some owners might object to the 'heart' of their watch being removed & replaced during service by a completely new substitute. I'm not sure that would worry me overly, but it is an interesting question & servicing innovation.

Terrific watch, thanks for the review - definitely a treasured 'keeper'.