Going to buy a Smiths pocket watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Going to buy a Smiths pocket watch

Post by watchstudent »

They are dirt cheap on ebay and I think they look pretty cool. Am planning on taking it apart and trying to put it back together again (everyone needs a project). Anyone got experience of doing something like this? Any advice?
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Going to buy a Smiths pocket watch

Post by Cirrus »

Those Smiths / Ingersoll pocket watches are indeed dirt cheap, and very easy for even a novice to clean and lube.

One tip - make sure you let the mainspring down before undoing any screws or the **** will take your eye out.

I have quite a few spare dials, cases and movements if you need any... enough to build a few probably :)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

Cirrus wrote:Those Smiths / Ingersoll pocket watches are indeed dirt cheap, and very easy for even a novice to clean and lube.

One tip - make sure you let the mainspring down before undoing any screws or the **** will take your eye out.

I have quite a few spare dials, cases and movements if you need any... enough to build a few probably :)
Christ! Noted thank you. Thank you, well I will likely post my progress on here so it should become apparent if I am getting stuck! Good to know they are quite simple, most practical thing I have ever done before is changing the oil and filters on my car so we'll see how this goes!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

May I suggest a couple of easy to follow books for you....

Watch Repairing as a Hobby

Watch Repair for Beginners

Practical Watch Repair
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

Kip wrote:May I suggest a couple of easy to follow books for you....

Watch Repairing as a Hobby

Watch Repair for Beginners

Practical Watch Repair
Thanks Kip!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Good advice from Cirrus.

I once took a 22 air rifle apart and the massive spring in that almost took out my 'later to become ex wife' when it exploded.

I remembered that with a wry smile when I lost my half share of the marital home to her 15 years later.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I bought this for £30 last year - it's the best timekeeper among my pocket watches and I enjoy wearing it every so often.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macca

Post by Macca »

I saw the title of this thread and my first thought was, I bet Steve has commented on this lol..

And a very nice smiths you have too
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I bought this for £30 last year - it's the best timekeeper among my pocket watches and I enjoy wearing it every so often.
very nice AVO, I am currently awaiting the delivery of mine. Bought it for £17.50 inc P&P. Purposefully bought a slightly broken one so I can learn how it works and then hopefully have the satisfaction of getting it working properly again. On ebay it was advertised by saying that it ticks for a little bit and then stops...
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

Interesting thread. I've just rummaged through the drawer to find an old Smiths Empire pocket watch that I remembered us having years back. I can't honestly remember where it came from, but after pulling it out from decades of other unused stuff, I gave it a wind and away it went! The sub second hand is missing however, there's a couple of small dents to the case, and the crystal is pretty scratched, but thanks to watchstudent and the others posting for reawakening my interest in the old Smiths. :)
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6