German brands

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

German brands

Post by Leo David »

I've been looking at the offerings from some of the German watch producers. Some are better known than others, but the pick from what I have seen to date is probably this beautiful chrono from Laco. I love the cream face, uncluttered dials and blued hands. At euro 1600 it is way beyond the price I am prepared to pay for a watch but I think it is worth sharing this image

And this image from Bethge and Sohne. No details on the movement but the other watches on the Bethge website suggest ETA. At euro 599 it isn't cheap but I do like the classic dress design. Reminds me a bit of an Oris artelier.

I have no idea whether Laco and/or Bethge offer a step up in quality compared to CWL but it does make me think that CW continues to offer good quality at competitive prices.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: German brands

Post by nathanclarinet »

I like that Laco; hints of Nomos and IWC about it.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I, too, think the Laco looks ace. :thumbup:
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Like the Bethge and Sohne but would rather get a CW, Oris or Hamilton equivalent instead

Another German brand to add, UHR. Dont know much about them but excellent VFM and I was very close to buying one of their Pilot watches before a C5 came up at a good price.
http://www.uhr.info
Citizen,Tag Heuer,Oris,Victorinox Swiss Army,Casio,G-Shock,Fossil, Guess
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I like both of those. In fact, I'm a fan of most German watches. I think you get a little more bang for your buck than with Swiss, and the quality is right up there. :)
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

My experience of German watches is limited to the one I've recently acquired, but that is certainly impressive! The Laco chronograph is lovely, in fact there are some really nice watches on their site. However, if I wanted an automatic chrono I'd probably look at the C700 which also has a Valjoux 7750 and is around half the price.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Nothing wrong with Laco as a brand....personally i don't like the one above....the hands and numbers look too thin and weedy for the watch.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

Normally I bow to Village as the font of wisdom when it comes to style and taste, but in the case of that Laco, mate, you are just wrong :D It's a lovely looking thing and the thin blued hands look classy and refined. It looks like it should be running a 7750 movement which is a pretty good thing and overall, it's a cracker.

But too much for me to pay :-({|=
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

xtriple wrote:But too much for me to pay :-({|=
Anything right now is too much for you to pay....you said so! You are on the wagon! :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtea »

Hi David

Both nice watches indeed though like yourself 1600 euro is still a bridge too far for me on one watch makes the 599 euro Oris style look like a bargain in some senses

Thanks for the pics

RichT
8 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
xtriple
Forum gobshite

Post by xtriple »

Kip wrote:
xtriple wrote:But too much for me to pay :-({|=
Anything right now is too much for you to pay....you said so! You are on the wagon! :)
I am indeed. My halo is getting a trifle tight though :oops:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

Both are good looking watches, first I have heard of Bethge and Sohne though. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

The Laco looks nothing special to me. Much prefer the Archimede offering, but the Bethge & Sohne is a really nice watch. It is a little like the Oris as has been commented, but I prefer this one going from the photo. I have to admit I have never heard of them though.
I do like German watches generally, they seem to be on the whole very good value and well made. I only have one, a Stowa Mo, but it is impressive. I think I'd like to add to my German pieces at some point.

Cheers,
Jack.