Gentlemen (and Ladies) Educate me please :)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Matty75
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Gentlemen (and Ladies) Educate me please :)

Post by Matty75 »

I'm looking to deepen my collection a little from the CW, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Breitling etc into less obvious purchases especially interesting pieces second hand... Mainly swiss...I love the Heuer styling and the 70's sports styles but also Pilots watches are a fave...
I'm sure they're are many manufacturer of interest but if anyone has any opinions i'd love to hear them.... mostly so i know what to look for on flea-bay and at my local boot sales...
C60 TRIDENT AUTO #1556, C11 MSL BLACK MANTA #0891, 1984 Seiko 7a38, Tag Heuer 2000 professional(my daily grind) and other Seiko's..

Wish list:
C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C70 MC, Steinhart Nav-B, C9-AUTO, 7a series Seikos & Maybe a Seiko Monster.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Gentlemen (and Ladies) Educate me please :)

Post by scooter »

Matty

You would need to suggest some kind of budget you have in mind to narrow down your request.

Why not trawl through the posts in the Other Brands sub fora to see if anything takes your fancy? You can then ask for advice specifically about that particular make.

Have a look at German watch brands like Nomos (for stylish) and Steinhart.

Try also googling on 'pilot watches' for example. You'll soon get a flavour for what is out there.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

If you like vintage Heuers, then Mr Rick is your man for advice as he hasa rather nice collection of them. They won't be cheap, and some are mucked about with with non original parts, so do your homework first.

I collect vintage Tissots, which are often overlooked and can be good value.

This is a few of mine in the 70's sports style.......

John
Matty75
Junior
Junior

Post by Matty75 »

scooter wrote:Matty

You would need to suggest some kind of budget you have in mind to narrow down your request.

Why not trawl through the posts in the Other Brands sub fora to see if anything takes your fancy? You can then ask for advice specifically about that particular make.

Have a look at German watch brands like Nomos (for stylish) and Steinhart.

Try also googling on 'pilot watches' for example. You'll soon get a flavour for what is out there.

scooter
Scooter, good call..
lets say hundreds not thousands and if its a bargain then its a good thing.. just quality swiss movements and well thought of..

Its a little dip into the other manufacturers bit that has led me to ask - just call me lazy :)
C60 TRIDENT AUTO #1556, C11 MSL BLACK MANTA #0891, 1984 Seiko 7a38, Tag Heuer 2000 professional(my daily grind) and other Seiko's..

Wish list:
C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C70 MC, Steinhart Nav-B, C9-AUTO, 7a series Seikos & Maybe a Seiko Monster.
Matty75
Junior
Junior

Post by Matty75 »

Monkey wrote:If you like vintage Heuers, then Mr Rick is your man for advice as he hasa rather nice collection of them. They won't be cheap, and some are mucked about with with non original parts, so do your homework first.

Mr Monkey thats brilliant stuff - thank you .. exactly the right pitch.. they look awesome.. I'm heading off to ebay now..

Wish list:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Matty75 wrote:just call me lazy :)
Me too :)

http://www.listmyfive.com/08a721c8/The- ... n-a-Budget

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Read here and beware the Fleabay.

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =8&t=16059

Although i am sure there is lots of genuine watches around, there are also lots that are not.

Personally i think the vintage Omega & Tissot movements are some of the best value around, like this Omega from 68, Cal 564.

Graham
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Agree with Footy above. I had a recent vintage failure with a Fortis when the movement turned out to be some no-mark movement without Incabloc shock protection and a bent balance wheel and spring. Plus, the face was glued to the movement using mastik or something - it was a total mess.

I think someone else wiser than me on here always says "Buy the seller, not the watch". Wise words indeed :D

For pilot watches I would have to say Stowa or Laco, two of the original WWII makers. The Laco can be had quite cheaply with a Miyota auto movement so well worth looking at. Stowas tend to have long waiting list but they are beautiful watches.

Anyway, keep us all posted :thumbup:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Matty,

'70s, sporty, but classy & understated is the Jaeger Lecoultre Club - I've seen good ones for around £650-700, but haven't quite had the funds to jump at the time.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Matty75
Junior
Junior

Post by Matty75 »

brilliant guys thanks for the input... i'm gonna hunt for a Laco now and that Jaeger def looks the part :)

Wish list:
Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by Rick »

Matty75 wrote:
Monkey wrote:If you like vintage Heuers, then Mr Rick is your man for advice as he hasa rather nice collection of them. They won't be cheap, and some are mucked about with with non original parts, so do your homework first.

Mr Monkey thats brilliant stuff - thank you .. exactly the right pitch.. they look awesome.. I'm heading off to ebay now..
Oops,John,what have you done???
The poor man's doomed now with on coming square eyes and very empty pockets :lol:
C5AKS - C7 Rapide - C4IPK - C6T3 - C6 Forum LE - W6 Splash - C8SWT - C70 DBR1
Breitling Hercules - Omega SMP - Boschett Cave Dweller - Seiko Monster - Porsche Design P'6310
Tissot Sea Touch - Oris Pro Diver - Dreyfuss 1925 - Tissot V8 - Deep Blue Pro Sun
Matty75
Junior
Junior

Post by Matty75 »

Rick wrote:
Matty75 wrote:

Oops,John,what have you done???
The poor man's doomed now with on coming square eyes and very empty pockets :lol:
square eyes .. check !!!
pockets deteriorating LOL

Wish list: